1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The $20 Trick thread

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Sonya, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farkingidiot

farkingidiot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am word of advice: Get the NAME of the clerk who upgraded you, when successful. I noticed quite a few posts saying, "A male clerk", or "this older female." Take a minute to put there name in your phone, or jot it down on a note.

Every stay, when I get an upgrade, I take a minute to find out the name of the general manager, or supervisor and either leave a sealed letter at the front desk or send a snail mail telling them what great service I got from a particular front desk person. You don't need to mention your upgrade, so you don't potentially trip the clerk up, but at least it gives them props to their supervisors for their efforts beyond the $20.

I've done this at Encore the past few times I stayed. A particular front desk person saved us $200 and upgraded our room. When I came back months later, I called ahead to see when she was working, then checked in while she was working, acted glad (I was) to see her and mentioned that ow great she was last stay and how I sent an appreciative letter to her boss. She upgraded me for my second trip and only took a $20 after I forced it on her.

Of course, I sent another letter, saying how the desk person being so nice had really increased my comfort level at staying there. Now I have an appreciative contact who might upgrade me beyond what she's done in the past for my next trip.

2. dgr1973

dgr1973 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent idea!:thumbsup:

3. pinklime

pinklime Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stay only at CET properties and I always ask if there is an upgrade available before I tip. Almost always get moved to the Augustus Tower or the petite suite in the Palace Tower. Sometimes the clerk will refuse the tip but mostly it is accepted with a "thank you".

4. kendogg

kendogg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried it. I was booked a ST Suite at Ballys. For an additional $25/night, I was upgraded to a NT Suite. Not sure if anybody's actually gotten that free, but when I was booking I remember it being well over twice as much per night, so I was ok with $25/night. The man at the desk said no jacuzzi/whirlpool tub in the ST suites (odd, because I could have sworn it had one when I registered), which was really the only thing I mandated. And the room is fabulous. View of the strip is non-existent, but the view of the mountains in the distance is beautiful, especially as I'm watching the sun come up. And the PH tower staring me in the face :p I'm on the 24th floor, labeled 'Diamond Floor'.

Friend, otoh, didn't have the same luck. He had also booked a ST suite, and they offered him a NY regular room at the same rate, and also mis-informed him that it was an equal room, nothing additional, just a queen bed and a bit smaller (and updated). He said ok, and now realizes it's not quite as nice as what he thought he had booked. Not really sure what to do about this one, if anything at this point.

5. tola_dk

tola_dk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a 9 night booking trough Hotels.com with The Tropicana in the end of August. Do you guys think that i will have any luck with getting an upgrade to at strip view room? I wouldn't mind tipping the clerk 50 bucks i it could help, but i am not sure how i might work out considering the length of the stay and that i got a really good deal from Hotels.com.

Tobias

6. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can let me know first... you will be there two weeks before I will

!:beer:

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  7. bnbarker

bnbarker Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol Ok I will try it. What can it hurt?

8. nursepower

nursepower Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going on Monday

We will get in around 11p.m. at night. Is that too late to ask for a complimentary pyramid spa suite upgrade from a King Pyramid regular? I priced it online and it's a difference of about $50 a night.

9. Kam

Kam Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just look at their website and see what room you want to upgrade to. Ask them for a complementary upgrade for the room you want! Hope that works if not send me a pm and I can help you out more.

10. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What happens if you are offered an upgrade, but at a cost? I think im going to slip a little more then a 20$ to up my chances, I wanna get a deluxe luv tub room at IP. it was another 200$ though. Im thinking of slipping a 50$.

What if they say yes, but an extra 20$ a night or something. would they keep the tip?

11. landsburger

landsburger High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would bet the $20 would do it, and would fall over if the $50 didn't. That's if the rooms themselves are available. If not, then no money would do it.

12. frank5465

frank5465 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tried $20 trick at South Point no Luck GVR No luck either both handed me $20 back

13. Melissah07

Melissah07 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone had success at The Stratosphere ? We will be there next month and I'd like to try this.

14. elswam

elswam Some day I will have a JACKPOT

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no problem in stratosphere!!!

Hi Melissah, i was in strat and twice worked for me $20 trick, i think, you dont will have problem, i hope work for you
    good luck!!!

15. xtreme42

xtreme42 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was wondering if asking for a complementry upgrade would be asking to much for a 6 night stay. If even the 20.00 or more would even be worth trying. Arriving Saturday and leaving Friday. Because of the number of days would it be hard for them to do this?

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another poster mentioned this in another thread (the moron thread). I mentioned him to post it here but it's been a couple of weeks and he hasn't so I will post it for him. Tell me if his alternative works. I am not sure if he already posted this here before but I didn't see it going back a few months so figure to post it again.

17. robcassell

robcassell Guest

I'm not really sure why she would call it pathetic. Considering $20 dollars is what someone working the check-in desk makes in 3-4 hours after taxes, it should be a win-win situation. That undercover boss girl could get 4 days worth of cigarettes w/ $20 bucks.

18. kingcrim05

kingcrim05 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the $20 trick worth it for

Imperial Palace Tuesday-Saturday
    4Queens Saturday-Monday?

Currently have a Deluxe room at Imperial Palace. Won't be checking in until 11 pm at the earliest.

Does 4Queens have multiple types of rooms?

19. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked a standard deluxe room for 34 a night and got a petite suite.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

20. Bur2Las

Bur2Las Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Schools can hold proms in hotels? I thought you had to be over 21 to check into these places...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.