1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

An Upcharge of $.99 for Hash Browns

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by MiamiDave, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took my wife and kids to breakfast yesterday morning to celebrate my 12th anniversary with my wife. We went to a breakfast place we’ve always enjoyed although it’s a bit on the expensive side as far as breakfast joints go.

They very recently, apparently, began charging $.99 more for hash browns than for their home fries/house potatoes. These aren’t special hash browns with all sorts of toppings or anything. Just your standard stringed hash browns.

I can’t even describe how irritated I am by this and I’m wondering if I’m crazy and others think this is a reasonable charge. I’m literally planning to never go back until they remove the charge because I can’t justify it in my mind as anything more than a shameless money grab. I’ve cooked hash browns before, it’s not any more difficult or costly than home fries. Am I missing something here?

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only thing I can think of is maybe the raw potatoes in hash brown form have gone up in price recently for some reason? During Covid there have been a lot of really odd price spikes in various products. That being said, it's certainly your prerogative to take your business elsewhere if you think the value proposition isn't right anymore. Maybe you could ask the manager for an explanation. It's possible there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, or maybe there isn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TXactuarial

TXactuarial VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Downcharge the tip

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  4. Geddy3

Geddy3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, the server has no say in price increases, you're penalizing the wrong person.

• Agree Agree x 31
    • Love Love x 1
  5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You’re a different man than I if a .99 up-charge on hash-browns runs you away from your favorite breakfast place. I know, I know... it’s not the money, it’s the principle.

Especially, at this point in time in the food-service economy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Love Love x 2
  6. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m probably the worst person in the world to ask about anything potato-related as I’m allergic to potatoes :) but I have worked extensively in the restaurant business, so I might be able to provide some insight.

Everything in a restaurant kitchen is about efficiency in terms of both time and money. While hash browns probably have the same material cost as home fries (it would be a matter of pennies if there’s any difference), there would be a cost difference to maintain a supply of both at a given time. If you serve 100 meals per day, it’s much more efficient to stick with one “standard” side for most or all meals, than to maintain a selection of several. In my experience, the small upcharge for a change like this is more to deter substitutions than it is to pay for any extra material costs. After all, if people could switch up their sides and such at no cost, the kitchen would become very disorganized and wait times for food would be longer.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be ticked too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TXactuarial

TXactuarial VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree to disagree

• Love Love x 1
  9. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience with breakfast potatoes Is that hash browns and home style potatoes both originated in skillets or on flat tops. Home style transitioned to the fryer basket while decent hash browns are made in hotel pans under a broiler. So it’s much easier to drop home style to order while hash browns are going to take a little more planning and generate a little more waste. I’d say if you hate your customers just lose the hash browns rather than saying so on the menu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Necrochaos

Necrochaos VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure what there is to disagree with. The server is making minimum wage. They are taking your order. The waitress/nor most of the prep/cooking staff have any say on food prices. They would be set by the manager or someone at that level. Downgrading the tip because you are upset is a bad thing to do. Email the manager, or ask for one and try to sort it out. Taking a few dollars from someone who is there to help you sends the wrong message.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Free coffee refills, right? Just make up for the Hash Brown overcharge with an extra coffee. An extra two if you really want to rub it in. Don't get mad. Get Even.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't let it ruin my meal, but I'd admittedly be a little irked. I just have a general aversion to upcharges. Like, $3 for a couple slices of avocado on my burger is a little ridiculous when I can get a whole avocado for $1 at the market, and I'm pretty sure these restaurants aren't paying retail.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If made from fresh potatoes.....very minor difference in prep labor.

Most Home/Cottage fries are scrubbed clean then cut into cubes and the skin remains on the potatoes.
    Most Hashbrowns are scrubbed clean then peeled then grated.
    So most Hashbrowns have the extra step of peeling.

Comparing hand labor - grating or finely cutting potatoes for Hashbrowns is more tedious than cutting into cubes for House/Cottage Fries.

If I make these at home I usually use leftover baked potatoes.
    No peeling required.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of restaurants are switching to fresh cut taters. Cheaper to buy and no freezer needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the responses, all. I've never been "that guy" to consider boycotting a place over $.99 before which is why I'm surprised at myself by how much this bothers me.

I think if the place wasn't already a bit on the expensive side, it wouldn't bother me quite as much, although it would still bother me either way.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Raven888

Raven888 Watanabe wannabe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was my thought as well. If they're getting their hashbrowns pre-grated in a big freezer bag or something, their supplier might have been the one that raised prices. Raw potatoes are still pretty cheap, so it would make sense that their in-house prep is cheaper than the pre-made stuff.

18. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to go along with the supplier charging more for the product and the restaurant passing the increase along, I don't blame them for that. our food service providers have decreased options and increased some pricing for us. Maybe if I was the owner I would have removed the option and only served the home fries.

19. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking I'd like to see a thread with what is the most ridiculous menu upcharge in town.

• Like Like x 3
  20. SprintGravy

SprintGravy Gravy Train Conductor

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say any of those that charge you like $5 to remove the bun and do a lettuce wrap. Pretty sure a bun is more expensive than a leaf of lettuce.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.