1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Plans for Rio

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by breanna61, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was in Vegas in Feb last year a Lyft driver told me the same.

2. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like the baseball stadium thing was all over, including on the LVA website. I don't understand the singling out of rideshare drivers as the single source of this information.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you imagine MLB in Vegas? It would be a dream come true. Sit at the pool in the morning, then go to the ball game, and then gamble the night away. But, who would move to Vegas? Padres? Marlins? Mariners? Seems far fetched and a Triple A team would be a disappointment.

• Love Love x 1
  4. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They already have a minor league team with a new stadium. I know the old team had great attendance.

TomTWI

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s a great little stadium right across the street from Red Rock. AAA is AAA, but it is baseball and I love mixing it up a bit and catching a game there.

6. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent point. I've been hearing the MLB stadium rumors since my first time there in 2019. It all sounds reasonable except for the price tag. The land Allegiant stadium sits on is 62 acres and was purchased for slightly over $1M per acre for the stadium project. Rio is a 90 acre parcel, which puts the price at a little over $5.7M per acre, not counting the cost of major demolition and cleanup.

That said, there was a lot of basis in logic and numbers, prior to the Rio sale, of that being a highly desirable location, and the city was in negotiation with the Oakland A's who were in dispute with Oakland at the time and looking for a potential move. The Vegas minors team was, at least at the time, the As triple A team, The MLB commissioner at the time also expressed approval and support for Vegas as a city that could support MLB etc, and the city was actively lobbying them at the time, so there was real push to bring a team to Vegas, and the Rio parcel is a perfect size and location for a stadium, but it probably ends there. At a > $500M price tag, the numbers just dont make any sense for a stadium, especially with a few other giant vacant lots still available in the vicinity of the strip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had heard the rumour but what I should of said was that the driver said it would be Oakland Athletics that were going to play in Vegas, that was the first time I had heard a franchise name attached to the rumour.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd heard the A's attached to the rumor a few times as they can't get any momentum on financing a new stadium in the Bay Area.

Tampa Bay is prime to relocate, but they have an iron clad lease through 2027... and they have been courting Montreal pretty hard as leverage to get something done in Tampa.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.