1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Grand Canyon day trip

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Michael Sproles, Jun 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where is a good place to visit the Grand Canyon for great views and take some good photos? We have never been out to the Grand Canyon on any of our trips to Vegas and this year we want to make that part of our vacation. I assume we would need to rent a car for the day, not real big on being in a cramped bus for how ever many hours of a ride it would be and a helicopter fly over is not what we are really looking for either.

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    South Rim, ok about how long of a ride is it from the Vegas? You said the bus trip was not bad but I agree with you since we are all Coronaed up turns me off even more about the bus ride.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a 4-5 hour drive each way, depending on how many places you stop and traffic.

If you really want to see Grand Canyon, I'm not sure you can do it justice in a day trip. It's certainly possible to get out there, walk around the rim a bit and see it and get back to town. But I think it's worth it to hike a bit off the beaten path to really appreciate it.

I have no idea how long your trip is and what your other plans are, but consider taking a trip out and staying a night out there, or at least somewhere near there.

I just posted a thread about the railway reopening, if that's something that might interest you.
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/grand-canyon-railway-to-reopen-june-15-2020.174400/

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would avoid the bus ride. South Rim is definitely the way to go for a first time visitor. Just get up early, drive four hours, spend three hours hiking around the rim form the visitor center, and drive back to vegas in time for dinner
    Grand Canyon.png

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 7
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, that's the part I always run into trouble with. :wink2:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with @Sonya. It's a long day for a day trip. People do it, but if you can spare the time it is so worth staying a night.

We took a couple of days one year and went to the South Rim. Left early one morning and got to the Grand Canyon about 2pm. That gave us time to view a lot of the overlooks around the Visitor Center and to the east side of the park. We had time to see sunset which was pretty spectacular. It also gave us time to see sunrise the next morning which is equally spectacular and tour around the Grand Canyon Village and take the shuttle to view points on the west side of the park. Then returned to Las Vegas.

You can either stay in the park. All the rooms may be already booked, but if you keep looking for cancellations you may find one. Tusayan, Az. is close to the South entrance of the park and the second best place to stay.

8. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, it helps that I am an early riser! The woman working the Hertz desk at CP used to chuckle whenever she saw me because I was always waiting at the desk when she first opened in the morning

I Need Spa
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to be able to hike some of the trails but I am somewhat disabled from an accident a couple of years ago so that might not be doable for me. Sonya, The train ride sounds like a lot of fun so I will talk with the wife and see if she's on board... lol

10. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't really need to hike to be able to see the Grand Canyon. A lot can be seen by stopping at the various view points with minimal walking.

I would do some further research on the Grand Canyon Railway. I have been led to believe that there are no views of the canyon from the train. It simply takes you to the area of the Grand Canyon Village and you need to walk from there to the rim. It is simply a train ride from Williams to the Grand Canyon. Not that a train ride isn't fun, but if you want to see the a lot of Grand Canyon you may be disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PressThe5n9

PressThe5n9 Dice, Dice, and more Dice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why get up early when you can just stay up all night and drive? I kid, but as @UKFanatic said, it’s best to get an early start if you want to make the trek out and back in a day. The wife and I did a day trip to see GC South Rim a few years ago. I had previously been when I was younger, but she had never been. It can make for a long day, but being able to see such wonder and beauty makes it worth the trip.

We did our GC visit on our last full day in Vegas and just relaxed in the room with some food when we got back so we could be rested up for our flight out the next day.

12. Cageet

Cageet VIP Cow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even without Corona, the bus tour is torture. My wife and I did it back in 2016 as part of our Vegas trip. Took one day out to do it. Woke up at 6am to get ready. The tour bus picks you up from your Strip hotel, or designated spot if your hotel isn't on the list. We were dropped off back in the same spot at 11pm. The whole damn thing cost me 17 hours away from Vegas and left me with a sore ass from sitting. We were on location for maybe 3 or 4 hours tops. The rest was spent on the road. I guess it was worth it, but just that once. As others have said, go South Rim. There are bus tours that go to the South Rim.

13. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be sure and take a selfie standing on the edge too.:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe then a car day trip would work for you. If you stay on Atlanta time, you should have no problem getting an early start. Rent a car, head out and get there in the early afternoon. Drive the turnouts and get out and do the little walks in the different areas, no huge hikes required. :) If you download this map, it will make more sense:
    https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great information on this thread. I visited the GC in 2008 but it was a brief stop as I was driving from Las Vegas to Denver with my mother. I was thinking about visiting again in August. I saw that there looks to be just one lodge IN the park but some others are nice and/or historic and are on the "rim" or near the entrance to the park. Do you have one you would recommend?

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a variety of lodgings in the park. Check the NPS website. Most fill up far in advance which is why most overnight outside the park.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just did and there's availabilty at various places for the one night I might stay there, including Phantom and El Tovar.

Appreciate any views of VMBers who have stayed overnight at the GC. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  18. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked El Tovar for one night before I lost the room. One of the few nights available in August was the day before my birthday, so I'll be waking up at the GC on the morning of my birthday. (Will do Mt. Charleston hiking a different day.)

Thanks @Michael Sproles for your original post!

• Love Love x 1
  19. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Flowers you did good grabbing El Tovar before someone else did. El Tovar is the most iconic of the lodges at Grand Canyon. Your reservation there will allow you to book dinner reservations at the dining room before anyone else not staying there. I don't remember how far out you can book but check that out. You'll be steps from the rim. Nice birthday present!

Phantom Ranch is at the bottom of the canyon. You need to either hike down or ride a mule. Of course then you have to come back up. I don't know that I would be fit enough for that, but it certainly would be an Adventure.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HHFan

HHFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    El Tovar should be great, it’s the classic South Rim experience. I had dinner in the lounge during my one stay at the park, but was staying in Bright Angel.

I’d definitely recommend finding a way to spend the night in the park if possible. I know it’s hard to give up the time in Vegas, but it was even more breathtaking then I had hoped. Unfortunately the weather was pretty awful during our visit, so we couldn’t do any hiking beyond walking between the buildings along the rim. Had very limited time with a clear view, although some of the employees had said we were lucky to get the cloud covered canyon look.

I picked my wife up from the airport in Vegas early in the morning and drove straight out. Spent the afternoon/evening at the visitor center and walking the rim in the rain. Got some sleep bed before waking up early to see the sunrise, had breakfast, got in one last look, and made it back to Vegas for a late lunch. I can’t imagine doing the drive there and back in a single day.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.