1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cancelling flights

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by hotreds, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cancelled several flights that I was not going to make. I did this online since calling had a SIX HOUR wait time!!! Once the situation calms down, should I call back and see if they would be willing to give me credit for a future flight?

Or should one just leave it alone, and not cancel anything and let the airline sort it out after you don't take the booked trip?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am guessing it wasn't SWA, because (IMHO) their online cancellation policies are "firm but fair".

My experience has been:

If the airline cancels the flight, you are eligible for credit or refund.

If they haven't cancelled the light and you cancel, you are S.O.L. and at the mercy of what the airline provides.

I am in a similar situation with my flights to Asia upcoming. They are one day outside of the cancellation dates that the airlines are using, so if I cancel now, I will "get what I get". If I wait until they cancel the flight, I will get significantly more.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is going to depend on that airlines policies. Southwest you can cancel and use the funds for up to year after original purchase. Other airlines have different policies which are probably still evolving in the current situation. I would try calling them in a week or so when things calm down.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, back to OP's original question. I would wait UNTIL the LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT and the cancel online.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends upon the airline. I canceled AA flights (economy web specials) for later in March and received point refunds, which was pretty impressive for flights that are supposed to have no changes and no refunds. I've heard Delta is being pretty flexible, too.

My understanding is you can cancel and call later to ask for a refund given call volumes at these two, but you should read the policy before you cancel. And, again, make sure you look at the dates - I dunno if they are refunding flights for June in the same way that they'd handle a flight on March 28th

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have jockeyed some flights around and have lots of future credit now...I am not even sure if I can use it in the allotted time frame. So, I think I will wait and see if they cancel for at least a refund of the current cost of the ticket. Many of those are at <$45 each way now. It would not be much of a refund, but it would be something. It is also possible that they would extend the expiration dates but I don't see that as highly likely.

7. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was taking JetBlue next week and cancelled. They are refunding to a Travel Bank to be used in the future for flights that were scheduled up to April 30th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And be totally aware of each airlines CURRENT policy. Another site for good specific airline information is flyertalk.com

And, if the AIRLINE cancels a flight, you are usually in much better shape as to getting a refund vs a future credit.

Again, specific dates are almost always tied to various policy statements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait until the last possible moment. I should have done that. I had 3 flights to cancel within the next few weeks. I cancelled this past weekend before flights were getting cancelled. No fees to pay but I got travel credits to use within the next year, not a refund. If I waited, I could have possibly gotten a straight up refund since the airlines just canceled the flights on their end.

I’m not too worried given I’ll likely (hopefully) be able to use the travel credits within the next year easily.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I don't understand. What is the advantage of cancelling early and waiting on the phone forever if you lose the amount paid for the flight, vs waiting until the flight might be cancelled so you can get a refund?

11. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not SW, and I'd be perfectly happy with travel credits. That way I could tell Mama we need to go to Vegas or lose our credit!

12. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest just let me change my flight without any charge at all....not even the difference in price based on different times of day. I got my flight down to 129.00 each way and I just changed it again with no upcharge.

• Like Like x 2
  13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I have seen that happen over at SWA. If you have a flight with them, it is worth trying to do a change and you may be able to get the new flight at a lower rate. This of couse makes two big assumptions:

1 - You have dates that you think will work for your new travel

and

2 - Vegas is open at that time.

Personally, since our April 13th is a done deal right now and already had super cheap flights (thank you MAX8 scheduling). Will be getting flights for at least two different dates - late April and mid May.

14. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those are the same dates I picked...lets cross our fingers things have calmed down by then. I cant change anymore after this time due my dog sitter being booked up for may through the summer.

15. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cancelled my outbound SWA trip to Vegas and now have travel funds to use later. My return flight on Delta was purchased using part cash and part SkyMiles. I requested a refund along with re-applying the miles to my account when I cancelled today. That is my first priority. Time will tell if they do that. Or, they may only issue credit for a future flight for the cash amount that I paid. Hopefully they will make the decision to put my 150.00 value in miles back in my account whichever way they finally decide. Right now, they should be doing what's best for the customer.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are open to rebooking a SWA flight within 60 days of your original booked date, there is no extra charge, no matter how expensive the new flight is.

BUT - if the new date is cheaper, then book a new one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that the actual date of the flight or the date I booked the flight?

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  18. Bobby B

Bobby B High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a points reservation on United for the start of April, going to FL. They have now eliminated the nonstop and would be routing me through Houston from Chicago. I checked with them and while I can cancel the flights, I would have to book something within the year or lose the miles. Their policy is that I would have to pay $125 to reinstate my miles. Sounds like way different than AA and a stark reminder why I left United in my rear view mirror years ago. Hated them then, no difference now.

19. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can get a refund. Always, always, take the refund option. Never, at the moment accept a voucher or credit. If the airline subsequently goes bust your voucher or credit become worthless and there is then no refund.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Bassman13

Bassman13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just cancelled our April flights and re-booked for August on AA. No change or cancellation fees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.