1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Flight Still Full?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by thebeachbum, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeachbum

thebeachbum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are the Southwest flights still full? Heading out in a couple of weeks and am curious.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2020
    This is just a work trip but....
  2. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No less full than they were before. Flight out last Sunday CLE to LAS there were 35 empty seats. Coming home it was about 30 empty seats on each leg. In 2018 when I flew Southwest there were 50 empty seats each way. In fact pricing is sky high for CLE to LAS and back for most flights through August.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because people are still flying, just like you.

Life carries on.

(P.S. Based on the headline on this page.. this post might get pulled - but I hope it stays as long as it only discusses events and NOT advice about Corona Beer)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip to Hawaii last week was fairly full heading out, coming back on the last leg we had 34 people out of 143 that the plane holds

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far only American has said anything about allowing flight changes free of penalty.

6. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mmmmm. Beer.....

Bowling USBC Nationals
    And a night before a Qua Spa day.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew out of Austin a week and a half ago and it was a full flight, late morning. Our flight home was Tuesday mornings and there were a few seats open.

Happy birthday to me!
  8. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew SWA 2/24, 7 AM nonstop from STL, and there was one empty seat, which is not usually the case for this flight, and the return flight leaving at 8 PM, 2/28, there were 40 empty seats. Most times I take this flight, the plane is more than half empty. Also I suspect SWA is succeeding in getting more people to cough up more for Early Bird.

9. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% true about the early bird check in. On both my flight out to Vegas and back last week I set an alarm and refreshed the app exactly 24 hours before and my position was B25, B26, and B22 for my flights. When I last flew and checked in 24 hours ahead I was B5-6. From my city it is $40 extra.

10. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm flying out of Austin in 2 weeks. But, I'm not taking the direct flight this time around. Going to El Paso first, then to Vegas. Hoping that will help "thin the herd" some since it's not a direct flight.

11. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I pay for all my flights with points, I don't mind paying the cash for the EB to not be forced to sit in a middle seat. The last handful of times I have paid for it, I have been in the A20's range.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, looked at flights to Miami yesterday and the costs are outrageous. Flights that I've seen cost less than $100 in the past or as little as 5,000 points now are over $200 or cost upwards of 25,000 points one way. So clearly right now there is no worry from a lot of people out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You do realize the Austin to El Paso will have lots of people that are flying THAT route.
    and
    The El Paso to Vegas will have lots of people flying THAT route.

Almost ZERO chance there will be less people than a nonstop. In fact, they could have MORE people on each of those flights. And of course, the number of hours you are sitting next to others will increase.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading to Biloxi in 4 weeks and have no intention of changing my plans. Life goes on and there's always something that could deter you.

15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What date did you look at?

16. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP: can't speak to Vegas specifically, but the amount of my clients who are banning/severely travel is shocking, and the number of cancellations of business events/conferences is rising. United announced a 10% reduction in their domestic network for April for a reason - big companies are limiting travel.

Given this is an emerging trend, I really don't think you can rely upon how full a plane was on, say, Feb 27 as a guide for how full planes will be on March 20.

It's going to depend upon what is going on. ConAgg is happening now, and that's going to keep things busy. In two weeks you have Spring Break + NCAA tourney, which will probably still have Vegas packed. But you might notice a difference later in March when you get to the conventions like https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/google-adobe-facebook-cancel-upcoming-conferences-amid-coronavirus-fears-1970585/ which have canceled, especially if you're here midweek.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Per CNBC:

Southwest Airlines warned investors that the outbreak will cost the U.S. carrier up to $300 million during the first quarter. “In recent days, the company has experienced a significant decline in customer demand, as well as an increase in trip cancellations, which is assumed to be attributable to concerns relating to reported cases of COVID-19,” the airline said. It said its revenue per available seat mile, a key measure of performance, was slashed. The company now says it will fall to somewhere between a 1% gain and a 2% decline. It previously said its year-over-year revenue per seat mile would rise 3.5% to 5.5%.

Mind you, if they are taking the numbers for the quarter down by 5%, and they didn't see a material impact for the first nearly 2 months, that means they are expecting March to be down 10%-15%.

18. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this is allowed, edited for banned words, but SW had a SEC filing today.

Southwest Airlines warned investors that the **** will cost the U.S. carrier up to $300 million during the first quarter. "In recent days, the company has experienced a significant decline in customer demand, as well as an increase in trip cancellations, which is assumed to be attributable to concerns relating to ****," the airline said

19. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rates for a flight I have booked in April recently fell $100, though prices are always in flux.

I heard a few other pass. complaining on a recent SW flight that they had early bird and were put in the "B" group.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see SW raise early bird pricing. If too many people purchase EB and get poorer positions they might decide it's not worth purchasing.

20. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sure they have back room people that monitor purchase levels of EB on a regular basis. My wife is A list and got A39 and A34 (or something like that) on recent flights. EB will be after that. She is low on the A-List I think because she flies for free (companion pass) and there is thinking that the A-list order is tied to when purchased and/or amount paid for the flight.

Checking in exactly at T-24 has been getting me Mid B slots. (no EB)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.