1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any other folks in higher ed here?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by gradytripp, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know there have been a couple of "what do you do for a living" threads.

As the new academic year approaches, I'm wondering if there are any other people involved in higher education who enjoy these boards (and Vegas) as much as I do. Faculty? Administrators? Staff? Grad students?

If so: how open are you about your Vegas interest with fellow academics?

Myself, I teach in the humanities at a mid-sized university. My wife is also an academic. We get tired of explaining ourselves when we talk about our trips to Vegas--with a very few exceptions, colleagues just don't "get it." So we limit our tales of Vegas adventures to a very select group of friends.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GabrielBFly

GabrielBFly Vegas Aficionado

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hi there I am recent grad student grad and I work for a medical school in finance. I travel to Vegas quite often. In fact many say I should consider buying a home/hotel room as often as I go but then that wouldn't be the same as going for "free" or comp. =] I enjoy Vegas every time I go and its always unique. I live for deals and steals and discovering new things and places.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was supposed to be ...

My f-i-l did 30 years in the psych department at a good-sized public university in CA. He's an avowed gambler. So perhaps fitting that his speciality was addictions. lol He didn't wear Vegas on his sleeve but in my 20+ years being around him he certainly didn't hide their love of Vegas and gambling. It's been that way for us, too. We've never gotten any schtick from friends, family or colleagues over our many many trips to Vegas. (My wife has always worked in the public sector.) Though someone here did tell me we go to Hawaii too often.

4. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not exactly in higher education. I got my BA and then teaching credentials... which is more like a half-way to an MA. So I teach high-school. Not sure if I want to get my MA and move into administration or a university. Anyways, I don't bring up my Vegas trips to fellow staff unless I know them fairly well outside of the workplace. It's not that I don't want people to know, it's just not something I'll bring up. I also keep it from my students but that usually doesn't last long. They see my phone and laptop's wallpaper. Similar to a couple colleagues I know who home-brew, they don't bring it up to most other staff members, but I know because I like craft beer.

Yearly Online Friends Trip!
    Cousin's Bachelor Party!
  5. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I should add--I'm no snob about being in "higher" ed! I just noticed that in the other threads about jobs, there were K-12 teachers chiming in but (as far as I noticed) no college teachers.

6. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in "lower" education as I own and work at 3 child care centers. Yes my employees know I love Vegas and most don't get it, their loss.

7. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, no worries, I didn't take it that way. :)

Yearly Online Friends Trip!
    Cousin's Bachelor Party!
  8. waltomeal

waltomeal Oozy rat in a sanitary zoO

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I teach psychology at a 4-year college. No specialty in addiction, but I do teach statistics every year.
    I suspect my interest and training in stats have contributed (for better or worse) to my gambling life.

9. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes Recently promoted adjunct here:

Expect the best—prepare for the worst

My one liner

Also, read up on classroom management if you are teaching to undergrads

10. LVisBeautiful

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, do not just PowerPoint,that’s a sign of weakness and they will leave feedback about it in your student reviews; have it very organized on the first day; you are not there to be a friend, absolutely follow the rules of your syllabus like it’s the Bible and get help from other professors; diffuse any drama before it goes up the pole, and always get grades in on time; don’t make them wait on feedback

—6 years public and private universities —Good luck!!—

Ps PM me anytime

11. LVisBeautiful

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh as far as my Vegas interest, I teach stat so I openly discuss it from a math standpoint but never with other faculty, none of their biz

12. waltomeal

waltomeal Oozy rat in a sanitary zoO

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just realized I didn't answer the question...
    I treat gambling and Las Vegas the same way I do any other hobbies - no attempt to steer conversation with co-workers toward or away from it. I can think of only one of my peers that shares that particular interest, so conversations usually don't go too far in that direction.
    But I reckon most people who know me are aware of it. Some make the occasional degenerate gambler joke, and when they do I'm happy to share a self-deprecating laugh.

13. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @thecarve is in higher ed I believe (student), but he is currently eating and drinking his way through Vegas! (He's doing in-the-field algorithm studies.... :whistle:)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  14. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have worked at a state university for over 30 years. Most people that know me well know that I love Vegas and travel there a couple of times a year. What they DON'T know however, is the amount of gambling and drinking I do!! :rolleyes: :drunk:. If they knew how much my bankroll was, they'd probably freak out (and it's not very high at all). So, for me, what happens in Vegas, stays I in Vegas for the most part. What they DO know is that the reviews of some of the shows I've seen as well as some of the side trips we have done. But, it sure is fun to share travel notes with those who also love Vegas as much as I do.

• Love Love x 1
  15. kleland

kleland Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was in Grad school I would talk about Vegas and some of the other students would kinda snub their nose at it, but the professors were another story. Most of mine loved Vegas and we discuss it as topics of study. One of my classes was about planned communities and a student in the class went to Vegas and used the Neon Museum as the topic of her paper. It was quite interesting to see how the planning of Vegas came to be through the lens of the neon signs. I was also liberal arts, my grad degree is in Humanities with an emphasis in Women's Studies.

16. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I teach elementary special education. My co teacher and I didn't get along for the longest time (it was brutal) until Vegas was brought up during a lesson about maintenance (I explained I go often to Vegas and have maintenance people fix things in the room if it is broken).

We started talking a little more after that and boom, had a healthy relationship the rest of the year.

Vegas is magical.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Club81

Club81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in higher ed, yep. I started on the tenure track right after getting my Ph.D. and did the faculty thing for 13 years in Computer Science / Cybersecurity at a small state university in the midwest. I moved into Research Administration summer 2018. I echo much of what LV2GAMBLE said: most everybody knows I like Vegas and visit 2-3x per year without knowing all the details. I'm not ashamed of any of it; it just doesn't come up too often. The folks that know me, know my Vegas details. :whistle:

18. Vegas Todd

Vegas Todd MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work at a medical college. Does that count?

19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have taught, back when I was in grad school, but not currently.

20. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want a remote job these days. Teaching is very stressful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.