1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wasting money on first day in town...

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Vegas Pilgrim, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Pilgrim

Vegas Pilgrim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As the countdown timer indicates, will be arriving soon. Problem is, plane leaving 2am Vegas time, arriving around noon. Now after having a post flight cocktail at airport lounge, might have to wait to actually check in at QQQQ, since they have NEVER let me check in before 4pm. (I know I can drop my luggage off by front desk). Regardless it’ll be a rough and very long first day.

Won’t be too sharp to play VP, so willing to gamble a bit on the less positive expectation games, ie, where one doesn’t have to think. Narrowed choices down to slots (never played them there) or video keno (which I’ve never played, but again, no decisions). Of those choices which should I choose to roll up those points (that is, to lose the least).

One more thing, as Colombo might say. Already requalified for Sapphire at BConned at outlying properties, but no play yet downtown. Got great offers from QQQQ Binion’s and The D, so is it worth it to go across the street to Fremont and give them some play?
    I’d prefer just to keep boycotting them myself, but don’t want to get stranded if things change.

2. Pbtrav

Pbtrav Mid level gambler.....high level drinker!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d you don’t want to do VP...I’d choose Keno. But for me, I’d fill that Noon to 4pm time day drinking at Hogs and Heifers after lunch at Pizza Rock!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keno is very high house edge. I would say go with slots or, if you want to reduce house edge further, bubble craps with a $1 / $2 minimum bet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. letsgotovegas

letsgotovegas VIP Whale

By the time you have that drink, get downtown, stow your luggage it'll likely be 1:30 or 2:00, so now you only have 2 hours to "kill."

I'd probably go get a bite to eat somewhere, that'll be at least an hour. Now it's nearly 3:00. I'd probably TRY again to check in, but if I couldn't, I'd probably sit in the lobby and stare holes into the check in clerk until they had my room ready. Kidding! I'd probably belly up to a bar and play super low limit keno and order a beverage or two and watch whatever sporting event happened to be on the TV. I'd probably just play at 4Q rather than short play somewhere else.

I hope this will be the one time your room is ready upon your arrival.....first win of the trip!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keno has a high house edge but you can play it at tiny increments, so the overall exposure is low.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I've had a bit too much to drink, & I know I shouldn't be playing blackjack or UTH, I go to the 3-card table...it's about as mindless as anything you can play.
    4-Queens has a good table... $5, plus the bonus bets are only $1 each.
    Simple strategy - if you have a Q-6 high, or better, stay in. If you don't, then fold. (Don't forget straights & flushes, though!)
    I wouldn't play it more than hour or so (unless you're doing really well!). You'll want about $200 for an hour-long session.
    If you hit the mini-royal progressive during this session, you have to pay me $100 ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will do much better with Keno if you just fill out the ticket but don't actually place the bet, really! :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me the obvious question is: Do you really want to/feel the need to gamble during that short time period? If so and you're a VP player, play your game but slow down a bit and double-check your work. To me it is silly to do something you don't normally do/aren't really interested in doing and thinking it's a loss-saver. If you're just killing time to kill time until you can get your room, SS&S and recharge, then hit it, do something else until they give you your room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could always take some photos and email them back to Europe. Make friends jealous.

10. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might feel better than you think - adrenaline works miracles. :D

I agree with a poster above...by the time you get down there from the airport and check in luggage, maybe find something to eat and poke around a bit - your wait time won't feel so long. As far as playing...yeah, do some low rolling slots! Regardless, have a great time!

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am thinking playing VP, even if at less than optimum play is still going to be better than Keno.

12. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd just play VP. It's extremely unlikely that the mistakes you might make from being tired would add up to more than a percent or so of HA. That's still a good deal less than the HA you'll likely encounter playing slots or keno. Plus you know you enjoy VP - you might not even have fun playing slots or keno.

Maybe just drop down a denomination or two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would just stick to your favorite VP games, even if you're tired and may not be fully alert. Just play way slower than you normally do, so you don't make mistakes. Drinking a couple of Red Bulls might also help which I sometimes do. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kevzilla

Kevzilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's address this the Vital Vegas way.

1) Drop off your bags and put $40 in a $5 Wheel of Fortune slot. Ten dollars times four spins. You get nothing, you walk. You get a bonus, any bonus, you walk.

II) Go next door to the D. Go upstairs and play Sigma Derby. Twenty dollars in there should cover the rest of your wait nicely.

c) Captain and Diet. Lots and lots of Captain and Diet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can’t believe no one has chimes in he can check in earlier than 4. Is this really a hard fast rule ? I’ve only stayed there once and helped with a friends liggage both in November. I believe it was noon each time.
    4 o’clock seems stripish in rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or, sit at Fortune Cup sucking up drinks until a seat at the REAL Sigma Derby opens up. :)

OMG! I had maybe 4-5 of them last Thursday during the day! Major buzzy high semi-drunk most of the day. Went to take a power nap late afternoon and slept most of the way through an event I was signed up to attend. :(

I checked in maybe 2:30-ish last week at PH. Used the kiosk. No admonition to wait until 4 or so.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 2 times I've stayed at QQQQ - I checked in at 11:30 and noon, no issues whatsoever. Unless you have a very limited room type (i.e. accessible or Regal Suite), you may have just hit a run of bad luck not being able to check-in before 4. There's definitely no policy that forbids early check-in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely try to check in at QQQQ when you arrive, even if that's before 4pm.
    I stopped by the QQQQ check-in desk at 1:16pm today and asked if would be possible to check in now, or if it was too early. Mya, the front desk agent, got me into a Premium non-smoking room in the South Tower no problem.
    What day of the week are you going to be checking into QQQQ? If I read your countdown timer correctly, it will be a Monday? I expect your chances of checking in early (like after Noon but before 4pm) on a Monday would be good.

19. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last trip my buddy had to wait 60 minutes to check into Bally's and he made $1500.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  20. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agreed

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.