1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Blackjack 3rd Base

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Breeze147, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always seek out 3rd base because as we all know, very few people actually know what they are doing.

This last trip, for some totally unknown reason, I only took 3rd on about 5 of approximately 20 sessions.

I’m thinking this was part of my demise.

At 4 Queens, one of those big dumbass Texans with 10 gallon hats was on 3rd and split and sometimes resplit 10’s every single time and encouraged the rest of the table to do the same, even to the point of offering to front the money for the split. I got a pair of 10’s and he said to split those. I said the gods of blackjack would strike me dead on the spot.

When I pointed out that he was taking the dealers bust card, he said that’s how I play and I’m winning and you ain’t.

I picked up my chips and said Hey, Good Luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who's on first?
    I don't know
    Third Base
    Wooooo!!!

• Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone else splitting 10's or "taking the dealers bust card" is all a myth! It does not change the math one bit. He could just as easily be taking a card that would make a dealer get 21.
    The math and house edge do not change!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It made the game a lot less fun. I don’t care about math. It never liked me and I don’t like it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found that players like this help as often as they hurt. We all, however, only tend to remember the times we get screwed.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just call me Frank Robinson or Mike Schmidt....

edit...yes, Brooks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You meant Brooks Robinson, I’m sure. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big dumb Texan with a 10 gallon hat? I’ve seen a few of them there boys, just today actually. They like math but just can’t cypher very well most days. You did the right thing. But yeah, they’re always on 3rd it seems.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bobby B

Bobby B High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that the dumbass move is 50/50 whether it will help or hurt you. That doesn't change the aggravation factor. My buddy and I have an agreement when we're playing. If either of us splits tens, the other punches the splitter. The worst part of that guy Breeze was that he was winning. When faced with an idiot at the table, I'll either change tables or cut back on my bets and try to outlast the idiot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!
    I always play third base. Strict basic strategy. I have been cussed out in several languages by hitting on 16 and drawing a 10.
    "You took the dealer's bust card!!!"

11. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the Mrs. & I are 6:5 @ $10 in the Flaming Oh. Why? 'Cause it's her comfort level, and we are on vacation. We opened the table and had one other player for a while. Then we got this couple who were right off the boat. Barely understood the fundamentals of the game. Nooooo...you don't want to double down on a pair of queens. Just stand. They left, having dropped about $50 each, then a handful of guys from the suburbs of Vladivostok wanted to play. So, volunteerski sat down and was supervised and coached by this three comrades. I wasn't paying attention, but the dealer pointed out to me that, however I played, Vladimir played the same way. I was explaining to the frau the concept of surrender and Vlad intercepted the message and tried his hand at it. Had to explain that we generally don't surrender 18 x 10...generally 15 & 16 x 10. "Spasibo. Thank you very many!". Cindy did comment, however, that there was some pressure sitting at 1st (bear in mind she was about three margaritas into the game) where you have an audience for your math skills. These low-rent tables seem to be considerably more forgiving all around.

I agree that we are all slaves to the auto-shuffler (or carbon based life form) and the "took my card" Fantasy is alive and well, but the $25 tables seem to have fewer eccentricities (ten splitters). I appreciate Tex's comment on "I'm winning, you're not" as anecdotal to this session. Why deliberately play the blackjack heretic? Yeah, we live in a world where we're not s'posed to get all judgy-wudgy, but...well....I ain't gonna split tens. Even if the Lone Stranger does volunteer to front the split, I ain't down wiff it.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best move Breeze was to say nothing but collect your chips and give a knowing nod to the dealer. The dealer would get the message.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The worst part was he was about 6’5”, 275. I agree with what you say. It’s what I was trying to do. At one point he said “Ah like everbody, even the little old guy down there.”

Meaning me.

• Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, it’s happened to me, too. I don’t want to hit that 16, but now if I have 4 or more cards to the 16, I will stand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would...with one simple condition - he makes all of the split-tens bets & if I lose my original bet, he pays me as if I had won the bet - so, double my original bet.
    If the crazy split works, he gets to keep any money above and beyond my original bet + plus my single win.
    If Big Tex wants to do that, I'll split tens all night long...my 20s would become as guaranteed as a blackjack.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which I normally do. This trip for some reason I was doing everything contrary to my normal style and I paid for it in the end.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Too bad his 118 pound wife couldn’t have come along and told him to get his ass off that chair and meet her in the cafe as she was hungry! I know the type well. Thanks for the description. We have some that wear the rodeo belt buckles that are HUGE but you can’t see them cause of the roll.
    Guys like him are why I don’t leave the state with an accent. You are supposed to explain him to others.
    He probably transplanted from the NE and just bought himself a hat. Still, you did the right thing which in vegas can be tricky.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wagon b0y

wagon b0y High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time i played 3rd base. guy in the middle was splitting everything staying on 14's vs 10. Hitting 14 vs 16. Just fucking random. But everytime he saved the table.

This was on a 25$ table too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  19. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At a $25 table, he may have been keeping track of the cards...hey - it's possible! ;)

20. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that worked for george costanza......

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.