1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wine Talk

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by CLE_Greg, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now, there's an app I might actually use! Anyone else here have experience with the Vivino app?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. CLE_Greg

CLE_Greg 100% Full Blown Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wifey and I are planning to have dinner at Scarpetta in the Cosmo next weekend. The tasing menu looks great and at $105 each seems reasonably priced given the menu options. They have an optional $65 add on for wine pairing. I looked up all of the bottles they serve with each course and none of them are over $20 each and all of the ratings are ehh..not bad not good.... thinking we might be better off spending that $130 on one nice bottle for the meal.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's corkage there?

5. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure. Since it’s my “birthday dinner” I had considered bringing a nice bottle from home but then you have all of the travel and packing and this and that. I would guess it’s around $20-25 given what I’ve seen elsewhere but usually it’s more of a pain than it’s worth.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But think of the wallet pain with a glitzy Strip restaurant's markup.

We don't fly often with wine, so I get it. When we do it will just be a bottle or two, housed in one of those padded supposedly leak-proof bags, or more likely a winery shipping box. But we did one check a case going to Hawaii. Three couples and we rented a house together for a portion of that trip, so that was worthwhile.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found this looking for a photo today. From a dinner party here last year:

Untitled.jpg

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thursday dinner group tonight. Our wines:

IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1857.JPG IMG_1858.JPG

9. gailtherese

gailtherese Upper Middle Class ?!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the Vivino app on my phone. I find it very helpful to take a picture of the label and see what people have to say about that particular wine. Sometimes it's too time-consuming at the store; but i'll bring the bottle home and then read up on it.

I tried a really delightful and refreshing Pinot Gris the other week from the Williamette Valley (Oregon) called "PONZI". I also like a Barrel 27 (California) Syrah - "Right Hand Man".

• Like Like x 1
  10. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've maintained a small cellar of @ 50 bottles for years - general mix but, leaning heavier on Super Tuscans and Cali Cabs. We moved to Niagara wine country and opened our bnb just over two years ago. My goal was sample and drink a lot of local and do some comparisons to see how Niagara has come along. I have been so busy with my day job and our bnb that the while we live right on a vineyard with Cab Sav and Merlot in our backyard, these last two years have been the driest for me since I was about 15 years old:( Where I might have craved a nice right bank after work, it seems now it is more an ice cold beer or even plain water!

The one positive is some bottles got an extra year of sleep where I was once worried I might open them up too early!

Always 2018.....

11. DESPERADO

DESPERADO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CLE-GREG, MR FOOTBALL OHIO 1994:usa: vino.jpg

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, the devil in me just had to post this photo of a recent Friday Pizza night. In the late 70’s it was derisively known as “Bologna Cola”. Sweet, just a hint of carbonation, it goes well with my favorite white pizza with chopped garlic, diced tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.

21CAF322-3EC0-456D-B04F-EB57D766716F.jpeg

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to folks on the board who spoke highly of Jordan Cabernet, I ordered it for a dinner at the Circus Circus Steakhouse. My Cab-loving buddy from Calgary loved it.

Locally in the Philly area, the Commonwealth of PA controls both retail and wholesale distribution of spirits and wine. So Costco is out. We can go to Total Wine in Delaware for a better selection. I also get emails from a wine importer near Camden called Moore Brothers. https://store.moorebrothers.com. These guys have a store in New York and Wilmington and bring in wine from smaller producers.

14. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mr. Football OH and then he went north. That wine probably tastes like betrayal and Wolverine piss....

But seriously is it any good? Haha

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ponzi is a good house. One of Oregon's earliest adopters.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terri scampered out to Big Chill -- what we call our wine unit -- and came back with these Viogniers to go with dinner: chicken roasted with cabbage and apple over farro.

A friend who cut his teeth in the industry at Jorian Hill and later Ken Brown brought the '07 by a few years ago, saying it was special. I'm usually death on domestic whites hanging around "too long." The lack of oak and little to no malolactic left this one as a Viognier, obviously an old one but still true to the varietal. Huge round, of course, dry, still a bit of minerality, subtle melon and honey.

I guess we've been here long enough that '12s are getting some years behind them. Now I'm a huge fan of Viognier on the white side of the world, as I just generally love Rhones. a-non-ah-mus can at times really push the fruit on its reds -- I'd call some of 'em Calirhonians -- but this is standard Viognier. Acid, flinty, touch of Sauv Blanc grassiness without the cat piss, blossoms, fresh melon and dry.

If the troops are fighting over Thanksgiving wine, just pull out the Viognier and shut 'em all up.

IMG_1861.JPG IMG_1862.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used my phone to take pics of your pics via Vivino. Both are given very good (the first one) and outstanding (second one) by the app. I like viognier generally, haven't seen those before. In BC, we don't get a lot of California wines (except Napa cabs).

GG

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stumbled across a fair amount of CA wines -- even Sta. Rita Hills and Santa Ynez -- in Vancouver. I wish I could be more specific, but one was a bottle shop in Yaletown and -- an admittedly turista move -- Granville. As noted elsewhere, they had nutty markup.

19. rosestara

rosestara Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used the Vivino app for years but I use it to keep track of all the wine that I have bought and tasted. It lets me store a picture of the bottle and I can put in my review and also where I purchased it and how much I paid. I would often forget what I thought about a certain wine and this app lets me always have that information at my fingertips. I use it mostly when I am wine shopping in a big store like Bevmo or Total Wines. I never can remember what I purchased before.

20. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, you're right about private shops. I was thinking of the gov't stores, which is a large monopoly.

However, all wine/liquor stores have a wonderful, gov't 21% markup from their (gov't) wholesale price. Basically doubles the price that the bottle should be.

GG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.