1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

OTC drugs to take the edge off of flying?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by lsiunsuex, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any recommendations? What works? What doesn't? Sleeping pills (4.5 hour flight) or just calming? I need to be able to pick up the car rental after we land so can't be totally knocked out. I hate seeing doctors (no specific reason) so I'd rather not try to get Xanax or the like.

I'm finally getting used to flying I think but I'm still a nervous reck the 1 or 2 nights before and the day of. I can usually stay calm until the night before we come back but still a real PITA.

I know it's all in my head; I know flying is the safest way to travel; but none of this defeats the fact that the mind comes up with crazy scenarios and obsesses over them :(

2. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No tips on pills. But if ear pressure is a problem, get EarPlanes.

3. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use "Equate" from WalMart. It is their brand of Doxylamine Succinate(25mg)*. I eat one about half an hour before boarding and sleep soundly until we're on final approach to McCarran. I have yet to have any side effects (e.g. once I wake up, I'm up, not groggy).

As a disclaimer, I learned to 'sleep anywhere' in the Army so YMMV.

* akin to Unisom

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only things you can get OTC are things that will make you drowsy and maybe fall asleep. But if you're all nerved up, you'll probably only sleep 5 - 10 minutes at a time and drool all over yourself.

Other than booze, there's nothing OTC that will have the same effect as benzos (Xanax, etc).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just out of curiosity, Xanax (or the generic Alprazolam) - for anxiety...does it actually put you to sleep* or does it have some other 'anti-anxiety' effect? Thanks in advance.

* dramamine makes some people drowsy as well, but I'm thinking that is more of a side effect.

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of the benzos basically work on anxiety, different variations of them each have their own particular affect on other things. They're not designed to put you to sleep, but they can help you sleep if anxiety is the reason you can't.

The active ingredient in classic Dramamine has an effect on nausea, but it's in the antihistamine family so it also causes drowsiness.

7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much. Appreciate the response. The wife was prescribed Xanax because she couldn't sleep due anxiety from work stress. She never took them, as she opted for the low-dose OTC Equate (an aversion to Rx meds anyway).

8. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When ever a friend has given me 1 for the flight, it's always put me to sleep - dunno if mixing it with a glass or 2 of wine on the flight caused that or not, lol... If I woke up during the flight, I usually went back to sleep and only woke up when the wife tapped me that we're landing / put away laptop, ipad, etc...

Found Equate on Amazon - never heard of Doxylamine Succinate - I always have sleep problems due to work stress or the stupid cats running around the house at midnight. The herbal sleep pills I take some times never work for a flight. Worth a try...

9. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alcohol is the only OTC thing that may work.
    My wife usually supplements the vodka with a low dose Ativan(prescription).
    She is terrified of flying and has come close to breaking my hand on takeoff.

10. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are that anxious about flying. You might consider visiting your doctor. He may prescribe you a xanax or two. Might have to take a drug test and sign all the paper work involved with narcotics. It's easy to black out with xanax and alcohol mixed. Your trip report may have you doing things on Fremont Street you dont remember doing haha.

NYNY,Cannery,Sam's Town Jun4-11
  11. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like you don't need anything to sleep.....but something for anxiety. Other posters have great ideas and suggestions to this. Of course, if you are "knocked out" by some OTC sleep aid, then that would probably help if you don't get anything for the anxiety. I'm thinking you'd have to visit your doctor for a Rx.

12. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate flying but I do it sober. but I think some good scotch or tequila would take the edge off. Benadryl is good knocker-outer. Ativan is a sedative, but it is not OTC. it would work though.

13. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

When I took Xanax it would put me to sleep if I layed down and wanted to sleep, or if I didn't want to sleep it would just help calm me down.

• Like Like x 1
  14. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am glad i do not have a fear of flying because the thought of having drugs or alcohol in my body while I am on a plane really scares me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not horrible. I've heard stories of people getting off flights cause they were panicking; having to take hard narcotics to get through it... I'll sit there and tolerate it. Like people that don't like going to see a Dentist. You do it cause you really should, but your not comfortable while your there. I'll fly cause it's ridiculous to drive for 3 days from NY to NV when it's just a 4 hour flight; I just really don't like to do it, lol...

Like I said - I've gotten better - last year was the first time we flew not non-stop - 2 flights each way from NY to Cancun. That was "fun". But just something to take the edge off.

16. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's so ridiculous really. That and really tall buildings. Went to the observation deck of Willis Tower (formally sears tower) in Chicago and the whole elevator ride which in actuality is what, 20 seconds? 30 seconds? I'm standing there thinking, we're in a metal box hanging by a cable in a hole that's 1000+ feet. Fear of heights / flying sucks :(

The glass elevator to whatever the restaurant is called now at the top of Delano on the outside of the building? Could of been notified it was glass BEFORE we got in it, hahaha.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take Melatonin if I'm having trouble sleeping, so might be worth popping a couple of those.

18. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mil has these troubles, but with her it's more claustrophobia than heights. She seems to feel better near "exits." Her dr did give her meds - she never took them but they're good to bring, just in case. Just having them might help you relax. Transportation upon arrival can be revised if need be.

Since you can't be "out of it" when you de-plane i'd take a half dose of your OTC of choice and have a media treat available - i watched a marathon of Sanford & Son, 2 gin & tonics, and my 5 hour flight was bliss.

I would also workout like hell 12-18 hours before the flight, for hopes of a sound sleep. Hope it goes well!

19. imheids

imheids Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been using Chakra balancing music when the plane is starting to taxi. That has really helped me a lot. My fear is more of the feeling that the plane will crash and I have a duty to save everyone. My go to playlist is by Sophia.

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't really like to fly, but I do it, both for business and pleasure. (I'm not afraid of flying at all, I'm afraid of crashing!) I've tried a few things a few times and most of the time I just don't take anything and live with it.

I've tried popping a couple Benedryls before boarding. That really relaxes me for the flight, but makes me feel groggy and stupid for a few hours after I land and I don't like it when I either need to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for something, or want to start enjoying my vacation. A couple of drinks will do it too, but when in the air they run right through me and I have to visit the necessary room, which I HATE to do on a plane!

Now, not that I admit to trying this, and far be it from me to recommend such a practice (kids, don't try this at home; adults, don't try this anywhere) but I've been told that a good stiff dose of Robitussin (or any cough syrup containing dextromethorphan with little of any other ingredients) might give you a good buzz and take the edge off of the anxiety. That's what "they" tell me, anyway. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.