1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Blocking Phone Calls

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about you but over the past 2 years I've received more Phone Solicitors and Blocked Caller ID's than ever before.
    And I'm supposed to be on the Do Not Call List. Same with Junk (Snail) Mail. Worst it's ever been...

Ok so my question is; If you Block someone on your iPhone and they then try to Call what happens on their end? Does it just Ring?
    Do they get a message saying they've been Blocked? I have close to 100 Numbers Blocked on my iPhone.

2. PerryP

PerryP Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tested blocking with my co-workers one time. IIRC when a blocked number tries to call you i think you'll get a message saying the number you call is currently busy. If the caller tries to text you will not get the text.

3. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To get rid of Robo calls, google NOMOROBO. It is a free service, when you get a robo call you phone rings once, and that is it. I have it on my cell phones and home phone, and have used it for years.

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  4. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No good if you have an Android.

5. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just went through this yesterday, been on the do not call list since 2006, lately been getting tons of out of state, scam calls, automated ones when you call back its always busy, ect...yesterday after telling the guy to take me off their list as im on the DNC list, they called again, told them I was reporting them, guy kept begging me not to and he would remove me from their list...now every call I just go to the goverment DNC website and report them

we just found out through work they are fining these companies thousands for illegally soliciting through fax...so we save the fax and hand it to the company lawyer

6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The DNC list expires and occasionally needs to be renewed for a phone number. Are you sure that hasn't happened?

7. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've actually considered getting a new cell phone number for this very reason. Robocalls, political surveys, the car warranty scam, etc have gotten so bad. But I fear that with a new phone number it might be even worse.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been getting the iCloud scam calls this week. Yesterday I got 11 calls from 10 different numbers. I've started just turning off the ringer on the home phone unless I'm expecting a call. I don't answer numbers I don't know on the cell.

9. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Doesn't that seem like the easiest option?

Sure, it would be great to never have a call from these numbers you don't recognize. But how hard is it to just send the call to cell hell?

10. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have HiYa mobile app on my I Phone for blocking calls

11. sparksinmi

sparksinmi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i give out my first 3 numbers then wifes last 4; takes a few months for this number to get passed around, but calls stop;

12. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i think its every 10 years you have to re submit it...even telling them or pushing "1" to be taken off the list doesnt work, they still call. so I just report them now, let them pay lol

13. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will My Registration Expire?
    How long does my phone number stay registered?

Telephone numbers on the registry will only be removed when they are disconnected and reassigned, or when the consumer chooses to remove a number from the registry.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It came out in the Los Angeles news that there is a new phone scam. The caller says, "Can you hear me". If you say, "YES"...
    then the scammer can use the YES answer to buy things using your info that you have approved it by saying Yes.

I have to be real careful now with strangers calling me on my cell phone. Some times they act real friendly like they know you.

15. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always give a stern "hello" because if i do answer, its probally cause im going to yell at them. I always know its a scam or whatever as they have weird numbers or calling from places I know no one...sometimes ill just answer and say nothing till they say something first...no calls so far after reporting them, lol

16. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on the No Call List and just hung up on a scammer, Andrew Morgan with Visa. I asked if this was a scam and he immediately insulted my female siblings. I offered a few scenarios involving his family in sex acts with farm animals and hung up.

17. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for NOMOROBO. Haven't tried in on a cell phone since we don't get junk calls on ours. But we've got a landline via Comcast and it's a junk call magnet.
    NOMOROBO is amazing. Signed up about three years ago. No cost, which probably means it's a Russian scam stealing my personal information, but I'll accept that for the peace and quiet. The phone doesn't even ring. You see it light up, or the caller appear on the corner of your TV screen if it's on, but then it just disappears.

18. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got nomorobo this week on my cell phone.
    It blocked several calls in the last couple days.
    Unfortunately,I get more calls from solicitors using throw away numbers that use a new number all the time.
    Have been on the DNC list for years and update annually but some of these callers don't care.
    I tell them I'm on the DNC and I get all kinds of responses from a hangup to I don't care.

19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I never answer my home phone. I always let it go to the answering machine. If I want and if I know the person I can pick up or I just let it go all the way and call them back later. For cel phones I never answer unless I know who it is. I have a pay as you go phone so I would accrue charges if I pick it up so I never pick it up unless I know who it is. Yeah, lately I started to get spam phone calls and text messages on my cel phone, guess that's why I try to never give my cel number out unless I really have to. Not sure if the spam calls and texts were because of someone I gave my number to (who sold it to the telemarketers) or if it was just a random number caller.

20. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Locally, a well done scam. "Hello, this is police officer X, badge number Y, calling about the warrant for your arrest. Blah, blah, ..suggest you call law office at phone number Z, that's the only way to get it removed. The scammers are getting better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.