1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What Was Your Worst Subject In High School?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hands down, Trigonometry. I have no idea what it is or how to use it even after spending an entire year in a class that was teaching it. I was bored so I channeled my creative energy into being a disruptive influence. The teacher, Father Carson, slugged me upside the head from my blindside while I was chatting up a classmate. I scored a 26 out of 100 on the final exam. Before he turned in the final marks, he asked me what my plans were, if and when I ever graduated. I said I was going directly into the Air Force and hoped to be a Pararescueman. (I ended up in Security Force). He looked me up and down and said "God save us all." He gave me a 70. He later told me he never flunked seniors. I did just fine, 80 or above, in every other class.

I also hated Geometry. The grand irony of that is that I would spend 30 years of my life solving geometry problems as a Planner & Estimator on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 5
  2. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    English, I think the exact class was Oral Presentation and Communication. I could write a paper and it waould make sense but throw me up infront of the class and I sounded like a bumbling idiot. I could practice all i wanted and nail it infront of no one but infront of the class a 30 minute oral presentation would come out in 15 minutes along with a lot of perspiration.
    I know that I passed the class barely but that was because the report itself was pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sconnie

sconnie Downtown Kinda Guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Typing, nothing else was even close. Old enough to have used manual machines. I love the backspace key on my computers!

JW

4. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any and every math class. It just didn't come easily to me. I was pretty much an A/B student across the board and my only C's came in math classes. When I got to college I actually changed my major from Business Management to Business Marketing to avoid advanced math.

I excelled in English, history and languages. Senior year in high school I was in advanced English classes, French IV and German II at the same time and got A's in all. Minored in French in college, then moved to Texas and married a Mexican guy. I don't speak a word of Spanish. :confused: Fortunately he only speaks some and all of his family speak English as their first language.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kinda slept through math. Ah hell, I kinda slid through all of it. But like Breeze, there is a supreme irony in that my first expository writing class was a slugfest. WTF?! lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    French... I went to a Polish Catholic elementary prison for 8 years and had Polish class as part of the curriculum .

Day 1 of high school I was thrown in French1 with kids that came out of the French Catholic elementary prison.

And to top it off the teacher was from France and was a nasty bitch. Think of that principal in Uncle Buck..the one
    with the wart on her face. And she hated anyone Polish.
    I got sent to the office many times but the worst thing I did was give her the finger and say accente this!
    that was a weeks detention. but it was worth it.
    Passed with a C with help of girl in the neighborhood that tutored me. Thank you MaryBeth

• Like Like x 1
  7. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG! All HS. All 3 years, every class. When you do stupid stuff you pay in the end. Before school we would eat a handful of whites and smoke a joint. That pretty much put a lid on learning much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having planned to escape my agricultural confines the day I got out of high school, my worst subjects were pre-algebra and algebra. That is where I stopped. Minimal math to graduate. I knew I was headed for the Army and all you had to do was graduate. So that is exactly the absolute rock-bottom effort I put forth. A decade down the road and I'm expected to pass calculus to get my degree. Pass it. Got an A. Graduated with 3.8 GPA. I reckon all this fancy book learnin' is a might different when you're the one picking up the tab fer it.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only class I ever got a "D" in was Chemistry. Not that I didn't understand it - I did. I just thought doing the lab write-ups was boring, so I never did them.

It's slightly embarrassing that I'm currently credentialed to teach Chemistry.

• Like Like x 2
  10. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Geometry. I still don't understand how to 'prove' a theorem or what the purpose of it is. Funny that I majored in Chemistry and minored in math taking Calculus I, II and III. Trig, Algebra and Calculus I understand...Geometry, I have a better chance learning Russian.

First Birthday Trip
    First Birthday Trip
  11. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oooo.:ssst:

First Birthday Trip
    First Birthday Trip
  12. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was not "wired-in" to any math classes (pre-Algebra, Algebra, Calculus). Seeing those numbers and symbols made me sad.

I was (and still am) a lover of words. Classes of English, Literature, Writing Skills made me happy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AP Physics

• Like Like x 1
  14. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I graduated from a respectable Catholic HS in NJ.First you had to pass an entrance exam to get into.So I passed that fine.Funny my older sis failed hers 5 years earlier and attended the public school of which Jack Nicholson is probably the most famous graduate..

It seems the top 50% of the class were awarded the toughest math classes while the bottom half got easier classes such as consumer mathematics.(How loans work etc to train them in the foreseen blue-collar lives).Somehow I ended up in the top class and I did not belong there at all.I must have just made the cut by a hair I swear!

So Algebra/
    Geometry really killed me..Always a week behind finally grasping a concept of that that x's value has to be etc.Felt like the stupidest kid in the class and I was.
    Did fine in other areas and actually enjoyed history classes with a male lay teacher as opposed to nuns..Though having the Latin language helped to this day I wish I chose French over German as an additional language we had to take.I work with Creole speaking Haitians now and cannot communicate with them as well as Hispanics I work with also.
    One HS memory I think of is seeing kids waiting for the bus..and I go back to the days of freezing outside with frozen wet hair and watching the people drive by going to work and thinking to myself they are getting paid for that and I'm not for this shit.
    Funny thread,LOL at some of the replies..

15. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chemistry. I hated it.

I thought I wanted to be a pharmacist during high school.

I ended up as a business major in college so I could avoid science classes! I was always really good at math, but hated science for some reason...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loved geometry. Trig was a little harder with all those cosines and whatnot. My chemistry teacher was a little crazy and drank a bit during the day. I think they finally fired him the year after I graduated. Funny that I worked as a chemist for 2 years and still review the work of chemists as part of my job function. Physics was my hardest subject.

17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually thought the classes were fairly straightforward if one merely applied themselves. I thought that just now. Application was not the 1969-72 thing to be doing. You stood out.
    The most DIFFICUT thing to get by was not having your hair over your collar (actual collar w/o considering a t-shirt actually even had a collar which was unfathomable at the time) and keeping that pesky crap off your ears too. A sure sign of poor hygiene or upbringing.
    Talk about the good old days.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were 18. Stupid we knew. I was not fond of math but loved H.S. physics and chemistry. I even went off to Oregon as a chem major. That lasted about one 6:45a lab class and the pending ski season. Turns out my love and calling was in the social sciences, and communication by vocation (once I quit grad school -- American history and culture).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  19. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Geometry. Math has never been my strong point, but Geometry was so awful, I got a D ONLY because of tutoring. Like...I WORKED for that D. And I was an Honor Roll student.

20. hawki39

hawki39 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any foreign language...I did well or at least OK in everything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.