1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How much do you set aside for panhandlers (Tongue in cheek)?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by fischer, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseHog

CheeseHog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't like to overeat, so I will get a doggy bag to give to someone. I always get a smile and a Thank You

Jeff

• Like Like x 2
  2. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find the premise of this question to be absurd. I'm picturing myself budgeting for my vacation. Let's see...'x' dollars for my air fare, 'x' dollars for my hotel, 'x' dollars for dining. Oh! What about the panhandler's? Can't forget to set aside something for them! :vomit:

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She sold one for spare parts. Mexico ain't that far away.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I donate every month via my salary. It's called tax.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does she has an accordion?

6. safe51334

safe51334 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother lost his leg etc in theservice and when he was totally disabled and when he died 3 years ago at age 49 he was only receiving $1200 per month.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand that the only organizations that i will donate to when I see them are Veterans organizations. Does not matter how much money i have on me something is going into their basket.

8. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some pretend to be vets...

9. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gave this delightfully smelly character a couple bucks and told him I hope he gets what he needs. I gave to a few other for some photo opps. My wife on the last day spread our extra pocket change out to anybody that had a dog. We are dog people and while we probably both realize that it's a grift or whatever it made us feel better for trying to do the right thing.

[​IMG]

10. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A young man had a sign--$20 for a kick in the nuts.

Even after talking to him, I was unsure if I'd be giving or receiving--the money or the kick.
    So I walked on...

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the Vets have tons of programs available to help them.

12. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    once in a blue moon I might give something, but not often. many of them are younger and more able-bodied than I am. I am old, fat and broke down, still working 2 jobs. the government confiscates a huge chunk of my money.

• Like Like x 1
  13. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get nervous if I am approached and asked for money.....especially at night.
    I don't respond to any of the sad-luck stories or funny guys. Not even the NUTS kicking guy.
    I can't help myself from giving $ to the Vet (?) in the wheelchair with one leg. (He's usually downtown by the Plaza or El-Co.) Even if it's a scam, his life is difficult.
    If I see a good photo op. or genuine talent then I usually part with some cash.

The people that tick me off are the disheveled pissy ones that think we OWE them something just because we are walking past them.
    The ones that turn away or flip you off.
    Really?!? (Stinky Elvis) or Really?!? (Dirty Sponge Bob) NO I was NOT trying to sneak a picture of you..
    .....but if I want to take photos, I certainly don't need to pay or get permission because you are in the frame!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would seriously give money to someone who needed it and spoke the truth...
    the other day on the way to lake tahoe, in sacramento, a guy at the gas station, hit me up for money, saying his lady took all of his...I truthfully don't carry cash at all..but if he was serious and said "I need x amount of gas to get to x location", since I was already pumping gas, I might have just looped the pump around and put some in his tank...but I've NEVER been asked like that...

15. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None. Panhandling is an occupation. Their appearance, their demeanor, and their shtick are all calculated to have the appearance of legitimacy. None of them are actually down on their luck.

It's either a lifestyle choices, drug addiction, or mental illness.

I don't support that lifestyle
    I don't give money to addicts
    I don't enable the mentally ill to stay on the street and avoid shelters where they could get real help.

If you want to know the truth then go do an experiment where you offer food, employment, or other non cash assistance and you will be turned down 9 times out of 10.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the wrong place to put a Big Grin!
    Bless your heart.

17. herg

herg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a sucker for the ones who have a dog or a cat with them

18. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe people on this board have mentioned giving left overs to street people, haven't heard of anyone turning it down.

19. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can save the snarky remark. There's no reason for it.

I'm sharing my experiences living in the city. I've known lots of these kinds of folks on a first name basis and I've already been fooled more than enough times. The guy in our town who goes down main street on crutches asking for money can be seen sprinting along back alleys with his crutches tucked under arm. There is another lady who is perpetually $20 short of a bus ticket every day in the same spot. The other lady who stands at the corner by the off ramp with a sign can be seen changing out of her uniform and hopping into her late model Cadillac Escalade parked on the lot across the street after her "shift". These guys know what they are doing and their appearance is not an accident or a consequence of their circumstances.

Other than those people you have the addicts and the mentally ill. Rather than listen to me, listen to homeless advocacy groups. You can google it and find thousands of statements from homeless advocacy groups that tell urge people NOT to give money to panhandlers. It might make you feel good to give some guy on the street money but you might be giving him the last bit of money he needs to overdose on. Compassion isn't just about doing what feels good. It's about doing what IS good.

I grew up in a small town and moved to the city at 18 so I've seen both sides of it. People from small towns or rural areas without panhandlers are generally easy marks (as I was) because they don't have the experience to realize that panhandling is anything but people being down on their luck the vast majority of the time. They are either scam artists or they are people with real diseases that are made worse by your money.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Down on their luck. What does that mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.