1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Quick El Cortez question

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Happygirl21, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking to grab an inexpensive room for one night at El Cortez for 4 people. Which is the better choice, Tower or Pavilion? Have never stayed there at all, so I have no clue.

Thanks as always!
    :beer:

2. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tower would be my choice also

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pavillion undergoing renovations right now, may be finished sometime this month. But 1 pavilion room would be okay for 2 people but tight with more.

Tower rooms actually is roomy enough for 4 people although not enough places to sleep other than on the floor. Can put 2 people on the bed and 1 person on the couch/loveseat but with 4 it will probably be a little uncomfortable.

5. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only stayed in the tower, but I wanted to add that a minimum of play can get you some free food or the room for free (except the resort fee). I have read that $2000/$3000 in coin in at the slots will get your room comped midweek/weekend, so you'll only pay the resort fee, and end up with a single comped meal, too (burger and draft, 8 oz. prime rib and baked potato, two points pizza or subway sub).

6. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the mix? All guy/girls? With a 4 split I would suggest something under the canopy.

7. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was looking online I thought I saw a room w/2 queen beds,hmmm. I better double check, thanks!

8. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's me, my bf, and then my brother and sister. We are all pretty easily accommodated.

9. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My understanding of the Pavilian rooms are that they are above the parking garage (that's not necessarily a bad thing, just saying). They have outside entrances and I believe you can get smoking rooms (if it's important you should double check that). I've been told by a registration clerk that the walls are thin and those rooms are a bit more noisier than tower rooms. I've never stayed in one though.

I've stayed in the Tower rooms and have had a room with 2 double beds so they are available. Rooms are fairly large and could easily work for 2 couples if you're just looking for an inexpensive place to stay. They are clean and the beds are comfortable. The showers have a window you can open which I like as a quirky thing! The bathroom area is very small but does have a separate toilet/shower area with a door to close between the sink and mirror. There is also a desk in the room with a mirror above it so two women could each have their own space and place to keep their stuff for hair and makeup. Rooms come with a small couch, coffee maker (they charge for the K-cups), safe and a fridge. All tower rooms are non smoking.

Since you say you're easily accommodated, depending on the difference in price and your needs, both could probably work for you. Hope you have fun!

10. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You want to save $40 by putting you and your boyfriend in the same room as your brother and sister? Book 2 rooms. The privacy, extra beds and bathroom alone are worth it. If your brother and sister are young, call in advance for adjoining rooms.

Nick:beer:

11. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happygirl wants one inexpensive night downtown for 4 people. Yes, she probably does want to save $40.

Does the El Cortez, opened in 1941, even have adjoining rooms?

12. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi guys,
    It's not so much about saving the $40 bucks here's the deal-
    I already have a room comped Tues- Sat at Linq for me and my bf (Ready for this? I actually chose Linq over all the other CET props b/c I wanted to see its "new look" not to mention I have always done extremely well gaming there :) ) and just thought it would be a good idea to have a room on back up downtown. My siblings all live in CA and I'm in NJ. So even though we are not kids (I'm 45, my brother's 31, sister 30) the few times a year we see each other we, from time to time, think ( or act) like we are all 21 again. So I just thought it would be good to have an inexpensive room ready to crash in downtown if need be.
    As for El Cortez, I think it's an interesting place and I hear it has some great low-roller DD BJ, which is right up my BF's alley, So I figured why not?

I always appreciate all the feedback from all the VGMB folks, you all offer a wealth of information and great suggestions, so again thanks! I think I will def get an EL Co card, last time I played there I got checks-play'ed for a $25. hand,lol. So who knows, maybe I'll get two rooms comped anyway ;)
    :peace:

13. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The pavillion rooms are actually IN the parking structure. Fourth floor.

You want tower.

14. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do indeed! But be forewarned - the primary blackjack pit doesn't open until noon...and if he smokes, playing before noon means he'll be at a non-smoking table.
    I find their DD shoe game to be very fun...everyone always seems to be there to have a good time, (as opposed to being constantly worried about the "proper play" of others at the table).
    You will likely observe a lot of plays that are counter to basic strategy, but so long as y'all don't let that bother you (and it shouldn't), just play and have fun.
    It's an easy game in terms of keeping up with the cards as they're played (if you know what I mean! :wink2:), since all player cards are dealt face-up.
    Unlike most of the other DD games downtown, (I'm talking to you, Boyd!), they only cut away about a third, and you're allowed to double-after-split.
    Good luck & have fun!

15. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for this information, all of it :) I am shocked that they are dealt face up, very interesting indeed,lol.

Have a great day!

16. jasonargo

jasonargo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI - If you register on the hotel reservations page on the El Co website you will get 5% off their online rates.

The tower rooms are superior, but Lady Friend & I have stayed in the Pavillion rooms before and they are fine for a one-night stop. They are small - you sort of have to squeeze between the dresser and the beds. The tower rooms are similar to the the ones at Orleans.

There is single-deck BJ at El Co also - DOA, H17, no DAS. Best game in town.

We will be staying there with my family on the upcoming trip - could not beat the rates.

Have fun and good luck!

-

17. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could you please say that again in English for me? LOL
    I want to pass this info along to my son.

There is single deck black jack at El Cortez also.............................................?

18. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can double on any first two cards = DOA
    No Double after split
    H17 means the dealer hits a soft count of 17 (A, 6)

TomTWI

19. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Relax dude. $10 per person ain't gonna break the bank.

Nick:beer:

20. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How come every time someone tells me that $5 or $10 doesn't matter, I'm the one giving it away? If it really doesn't matter, why dont they give it to me?:popcorn

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.