1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jean Scott Gives A Shout Out To Dewey

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Jimbucc, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, now the world knows how wonderful Dewey is! Something we've been aware of for some time. ;)

Congrats!

2. Slick

Slick Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not only is Dewey a great source of information regarding public transportation in Vegas but his trip reports are among the best!

Congrats to a great VMB contributor!

3. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of these days our trips will coincide and I will buy you lunch. (It would only be right if I use comps for this lunch)

Congrats on the shout out by Jean. She is a bit of a hero (heroine) to me as well. My gambling style and comp management were heavily influenced by her and Brad years ago.

4. sassykat

sassykat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love reading Dewey's trip reports. They're always full of great info.

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Queen of Comps, meet King of Value!

Congrats Dewey. :beer:

6. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Too much work...need more play.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats Dewey and thanks again for your experience and help on frugality in Vegas.

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Well deserved, Dewey !
    English teacher ?...I did not know ?
    And I disagree with the poster ( Kevin Lewis ) under Dewey's ( Jean's article ) post.
    I take the Deuce from Downtown to The Strip --- it doesn't take
    that long --- if you are a SMART Vegas Vet -- and know when NOT to use The Deuce !

8. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand what happened to him. One of the reasons I did the bus blog was to let folks know that The Deuce is not representative of bus riding in Vegas. So many people have just a crowded Deuce experience, and they are totally turned off to all buses.
    I avoid the Deuce whenever I can. As you say, there are good times and bad times. At 2 AM - 4 AM there is very little crowding.

None of the residential routes are crowded and uncomfortable like the Deuce. K did not seem to know of the WAX which is the fastest way to get from the strip to downtown.
    And as much as he seemed to have little interest in the strip, he did not seem to know of the access that residential buses give to frugal travelers for reaching off strip locations with better gambling, cheaper food, and a less hurried pace. The 202 and the 201 are very useful to me.

Nor did he understand the idea of linking RTC to free shuttles. The WAX gets us to one spot on the strip, but from there with just a bit of walking, free shuttles cover all the spots from Bellagio to Mandalay Bay.
    I did not feel the need to contradict him on Jean's blog because my bus blog makes all those points in detail for anyone who really wants to know something about using the bus in Vegas.
    And if we are filtering for "frugal" as we are on her blog, then it is hard to miss the value of buses versus any other form of transportation.
    That being said there are times when a cab is a better choice. And some folks have to be driving themselves to feel free and comfortable. I'll rent a car in November to get from my free rooms at Red Rock to the Canyon an then take a bit of a road trip to Laughlin, Hoover Dam, Oatman.

I go solo and I'm a senior. I go for long visits because I have more time than money. So the bus passes are an incredible bargain for me. I basically can ride them all day for less than half of the tip to a cabbie for just one ride.

Also, many people don't want to be on the bus with random folks. A cab insulates them from common folks. For me, assorted strangers are entertaining if I only watch. If I engage with questions , they add new stories. .
    The dreaded disadvantage for some is part of the fun for me.
    I did think it strange for K to talk about tossing a $20 to a cabbie to get to the strip. Not from downtown.
    Well, some folks, unless they already know, you can't tell them.
    And my purpose is to be informative, not argumentative.

Anyway, thanks all. And thanks, Joe, especially for this comment and all your informative posts.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.