1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

You Can't Stay Healthy In Vegas!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey07

Mikey07 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our Vegas trips are usually 2-3 weeks and my usual weight gain is 10 pounds. I managed a full 14 pounds in the summer though :feedme:

I hate to think what it would be without all the walking we do while we're there!

2. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True, but it's a noble goal none the less

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a pretty strict diet at home so i try to keep it similar when in vegas. I drink alot though but dont really concern myself with that. Its the days I dont stick with my diet or close to it that I dont feel rght. can really throw me off because I have been doing this for so long.

Anymore I wear my watch with the timer and set it for every 3 hours. when it beeps I stop what I am doing and go eat something. when i stick t this strategy I feel way better no matter how much i drink.

4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last trip my husband and I were much better. Over the last few years we have both hit the brick wall. We did no buffets this year. We shared a breakfast platter and a pot of coffee on room service. We drank less -- not sure why it was not intentional. Try looking ahead at menus of the places you want to dine and choose healthier. - Some places have smaller plates or lighter plates etc. Drink a full glass of water before your meals come. A lot of us probably grew up with being told to clean your plates--starving children in Africa blah blah blah. It is okay to leave food on a plate, Mom. -- :D And most important - have at least one true pure splurge.

5. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's been a lot of good replies to this thread. I'm really glad to see that.
    The best ones I've seen are; yes you walk more in Vegas, yes Vegas is the best anti anxiety medication ever invented, you can set yourself alarms for food and meds, stay close to your friends even if it's a couple bucks more, stay hydrated...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, Lola. I also took away some new food ideas. I'm seeing the nutritionist tomorrow. We will see if she freaks out too. :) She goes to Vegas every so often so probably not.

7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just so dang happy to see helpful advice.

Please let us know what the nutritionist said.

8. Katrina0001

Katrina0001 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did 25,000+ steps last time I'm in Vegas and it only burned 350-400 extra calories. Now that's not even a sandwich...
    Now that DH and I have some money to burn and no longer poor students, we focus on quality food rather than quantity (cheap) food. But yes, for sure I'm still going to gain a few pounds this trip...

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other than drinking an immense amount of alcohol.....I speed walk a lot & also drink about a gallon of water each day. We do the Buffet of Buffets once each trip that takes care of about 2 days food but I tend to eat mostly salad & seafood....not much heavy stuff or sweets. My main indulgence while in LV is Volcano Nachos once. I think I really eat about as healthy there as at home....

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She said, "You've got this!" :haha:

She's been to Vegas a few times and knows the real Vegas, not the one the other doctors seem to be imagining. We talked about places I thought I'd have some difficulty and worked on some strategies for dealing with it.

Sugary-slushie drinks are probably not the best option for me right now, but I don't really enjoy those anymore. They are just a habit. ;) We talked about some other drinks that might work better, but I should be flexible and enjoy myself if I want to indulge a bit now and then. (I'm looking at you chocolate martini!)

We talked about how I feel like I might need to avoid some of the mega-servings places and my concern about Captain Morgan ordering a giant platter of Biscuits and Gravy for me at 3am in Peppermill. She said there's nothing wrong with having some and leaving the rest on the plate when I think I've had enough. That kind of thing.

My goal is to try to do what I can to keep my blood sugars from going too high or too low and staying hydrated. Eat something every 4 hours or so and try to avoid super sweet things that will send my sugars skyrocketing and result in the inevitable crash.

She asked about some places I was thinking about eating. She didn't think that any of it sounded like a problem. I do travel with people who order things like "all the bacon" at restaurants, but bacon isn't an issue. It's mostly going to come down to self-care (ie, getting sleep, getting food on a regular schedule and watching getting over-tired). It's a vacation, so some flexibility is fine but to be mindful if it starts to make me feel ill.

Have I mentioned how much I love my nutritionist? :)

• Like Like x 7
  11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's good. I "hear" you relaxing through the course of the thread. Getting more comfortable with the idea of doing your trip differently and enjoying it more. Being sick isn't fun.

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas is a nutritionist's nightmare!

13. Kingbarkus

Kingbarkus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying to exercise more self-control on my Vegas trips, but I mostly fail. My last trip I ate enough T-bones to fill a pasture. I even repulsed a patron at another table when we locked eyes while gnawing on the bone to get that last bit of meat. That probably belongs in the True Confessions thread. I try to get a workout in and I bring some granola bars to eat as a quick breakfast. I'm trying to cut out all soft drinks in my life, but in Vegas I crash and burn when it comes to drinking Cokes. I'm not a big drinker so alcohol is not a problem. Yes, I've been knee-walking drunk in Vegas but who hasn't? Now, it's water and more water, and lots of walking.

14. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this says it all from my unread VMB timeline:
    upload_2016-9-1_8-20-26.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, you will do fine!!! I probably drink more water in Vegas than I do at home and I'm always drinking water at home. I still only have one diet dew in the morning (I don't do coffee). I find I have more of a problem actually eating enough than too much. I found myself getting low blood sugar ( I am type 2 diabetic, oral meds), probably due to alot more walking and food isn't a priority. So I always carry raw almonds with me for a quick snack and protein, also have glucose tabs. Since I can usually get buffets free I don't see it as having to indulge so much, I choose protein and vegs over high fat/carb stuff and eat mid afternoon. Small meal mid evening. Eggs for breakfast somewhere with sausage and toast. I may stay up later than I do at home but I also don't have to get up at any specific time, so sleep as much as I need to. I'm not a big drinker and may only have one or two in the evening but that's it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a bit alarming to me to hear so many doctors in a row freak out about how I can't stay healthy in Vegas. It was all doom and gloom and it made me question whether or not Vegas was "for me" anymore. I thought I had a grip on how to do it without ending up sick, but so much "authority" telling me I was doomed made me wonder if I was missing something obvious.

I do feel better about it, but I know that I'm going to have to watch myself pretty closely. Just seeing my countdown and knowing how much stuff I've got to do before I can leave here has caused some stress. I guess once I get on the road, it will just work itself out.

17. WDMJB

WDMJB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can do it! Everything in moderation, even moderation :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont want to stay healthy in Vegas or here. I want to eat and drink what I want ,smoke cigars and enjoy what ever time I have left. The best thing about being 71 is that I can kill somebody without any big worry about the consequenses. Life in prison,ooh horrible,how long would that be ,I'd be lucky to last two months.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People who don't know Vegas, which are most people, have a misconception of Vegas. The people who abuse themselves in Vegas, typically aren't Vegas enthusiasts. And the people who don't go to Vegas, have opinions on it based on what they see in movies. If you get a doctor that goes to Vegas quite a bit, I'm sure they will be more understanding of what it's about to people who go there quite a bit. They'll still tell you all the cautions, but will relate to your experience as a Vegas-goer.

• Like Like x 1
  20. X-Man

X-Man Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah when I'm in Las Vegas I go all out. No restrictions. That keeps me grounded the 355 days I'm home for the year.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.