1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Solar generator recommendation

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Catzilla, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have one, how do you like it? Pros, cons, suggestions...

My husband has 3 or 4 generators, all gas and/or propane. On a good day I can start them and they are too damn heavy for me to lift. I considered getting an electric start, but I don't really want to mess with gas cans or a propane bottle, plus they're still heavy. So I decided I'm going to buy my own generator that I can use if the power goes off while he's gone or take places with me in the RV.

So far I'm really interested in the Bluetti AC180. Also looking at the Jackery 1000. They both weigh upwards of 40 lbs, which I can still lift. I don't want something big enough to power a house, but I also don't want some little thing to charge my cell phone. I currently don't have anything solar, so this will be a new experience. I'm asking for help because I've asked someone here to help me with the decision and he's giving me the old "buy what you want" either because he doesn't know or doesn't have any interest in them. Fine, screw him, I'll just buy one and after the fact listen to him tell me what I should have bought. :rolleyes: LOL I know, TMI. :D

2. gxceb0t

gxceb0t Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as you realize these aren't actually generators - they are just batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I know they are LiFePO4 batteries. For whatever reason, they call them solar generators or portable power stations. I guess it sounds more impressive than battery. :D

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Costco has the Jackery Explorer 1500 + 2 100W SolarSaga Panels for $1300, item# 1664101. Free shipping, sale ends today. Weighs 35 lbs.

5. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! I had not seen that. I'm going to go check it out!

• Like Like x 1
  6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, but yesterday I received an email from Costco with the daily specials and this solar generator piqued my interest so I clicked on the listing. I guess you need to figure out the appliances that you want to run in the event of a power outage and if the expected battery life is sufficient. Good Luck.

Where we live, all the power lines are buried and in 20+ years, I think our worst outage was about 8 hours.

7. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have had multiple power outages extending to weeks in recent years. We have more than enough generators to get us by, but all require fuel. The Jackery at Costco is lithium ion. I want the LiFePO4. The GOOD news is that the husband is finally taking interest in what I'm researching and thinks, yeah, we need one of those. :thumbsup: I like what appears to be a simpler display on the Jackery and the color and style of handle, but the Bluetti still looks like the winner.

• Like Like x 1