1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Robin Williams found dead/possible suicide

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Blonde_4_ever, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RIP, Robin. A good thing to remember:

10580139_10152599398266740_2795467028752316082_n.jpg

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No truer words can be written than that quote. People are very good at putting up a false front that can mask a lot. I'm not surprised by anyone's suicide. We have no idea what is really going on in most people's lives. I have been down some dark paths in my life and had these thoughts, it would have caught everyone by surprise.

RIP, we lost a comedic genius too early.

4. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's really a sad day. Can't think of anything I disliked him in. He always reminded me of a funny uncle you want to spend time with. The Academy had the most fitting response though. [​IMG]

5. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was fairly ignorant to the effect of mental illness. I witnessed it when I used to be a prison guard but even then I was still too young to really grasp how serious it is. After I stopped working in the prisons I never even thought about it until about a year and a half ago.

My kid sister is a teenager and she is suffering through some of it. NONE of us in my family had a clue. When I left Philly to come back to Houston she seemed fine and then a couple months later I got a call from my mother saying that my sister had opened up to a guidance counselor at school after one of her friends forced her to. Since then it has been a very tough ride for my family in dealing with it. I have learned a lot about mental illness over this time and it is nothing to mess with.

She is gradually getting better while undergoing counseling and therapy and taking medications...but I worry every day that she is going to hurt herself. Mental illness and depression is too often a silent battle fought only by that person whom is suffering.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish your sister and your family well... I guess when one is physically ill or a broken arm or something, it's natural for most to seek medical attention, but when one's mind is "broken" the solutions or where and/or how to seek help seems far more elusive.

7. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you very much.

Exactly correct and even to this day I have trouble understanding it because I cannot see how someone can feel that way. But supporting the person and helping them and always talking to them is important. I believe those suffering compartmentalize their feelings and don't want to burden anyone with their feelings or pain. That is what we and the therapists are trying to help her understand...to vocalize and not hold everything in.

I felt so bad reading Williams' daughter's goodbye letter to him today. To know his pain was so great that he left his family behind is crushing.

I urge anyone who may be suffering or know of anyone suffering to please talk to someone. You are not alone.

8. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow Rocky.

I stopped and read his daughters goodbye letter. I think she understood her dad.

I believe those to be true words. I wish you and your family all the education and understanding in the world.

9. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope everything works out for your family Rocky. You are really right about compartmentalizing and not wanting to burden others. That's how I handle a lot of things and recognize it is not the most healthy way for me to live and have tried to do a better job of opening up. Just keep letting your sister know that she isn't alone in her fight.

10. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! It is sad for Williams' family and friends but one can only hope that when a high profile person is shown to or admits to having to fight this battle it can help educate and inform the general public. It can also help those suffering by seeing that there are many others who struggle. They can see that mental illness doesn't discriminate nor does it matter if you're rich or poor, famous or not...

Thank you very much....I am 34 and for many years I also handled things the same way. It was the toughest thing ever to learn to open up or to not hold onto things. I have learned a lot from my sister and I made sure to call her after news of Williams' death came out.

I read this morning that Williams' daughter, after posting her touching goodbye to her dad online via twitter and instagram, had to shut her accounts down because of people posting vile and disgusting things. That makes me sad for humanity.

11. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Robin Williams , he was a great comedian and great actor.
    also a very honest guy, too bad this illness(depression) took his life
    and Rocky just many people dont understand depression and thats why they say stupid and ignorant things.
    couple of years ago a dutch actor(antonie kamerling) who had all going for himself, a nice wife two young kids also singing and being in the charts......he comitted suicide
    people were finding him a big coward and awful leaving his two young kids behind
    they just dont understand its complete ignorance .........his wife ( isa hoes) wrote a beautiful book about it so people could understand that depression is a serious sickness and life-threathening

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think (most) people say horrible things because they don't understand. They do it because they are angry, miserable, hateful assholes who want to spread their misery to others, and the anonymity of the Internet gives them an outlet to do that.

I just have to keep reminding myself that these sociopathic trolls are really a very small percentage of people, and that most people are kind and good and caring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.