1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Oscar's or Golden Steer?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Sammibug66, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Sammibug66

Sammibug66 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're planning on a trip to Vegas and dinner locations for most nights are set in stone already. However, we have one night free that we'd like to have dinner at either Golden Steer or at Oscar's. Neither of us have been to either one and want to try one or the other that night. I'm looking for opinions and preferences on Oscar's and Golden Steer. Which do you prefer between the two, and why? Any negativeso either one?

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

2. DegenasaurusRex

DegenasaurusRex Rage,rage against the dying of the light

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed Oscars ambiance and the food was excellent. Unfortunately,I’ve never tried the other place.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rM3panno

rM3panno Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve never been to Oscar’s but have been to Golden Steer 4 times. It is one of my favorite steakhouses in any city. Great service, food, and ambiance. Tableside Caesar is a must

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard to have anything negative to say about either. They’re both a “destination” eatery and an outstanding meal for sure.

Golden Steer, as you may or may not know, is kinda isolated just off Las Vegas Blvd. on Sahara. Oscar’s is in an iconic spot at The Plaza right at the end of the Fremont St. Experience.

My experience is that Golden Steer is a very busy place… Oscar’s a little less so. Both have excellent service and a memorable meal.

Have fun whichever you pick and let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when is your trip? You'll need reservations several weeks in advance for Golden Steer. I've had my June reservations for a couple of months. they fill up!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Sammibug66

Sammibug66 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trip is in early September. Definitely planning to make reservations several months in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Steakhouses that serve USDA Prime-Graded steaks typically note that on their menus. Oscar's does. Golden Steer does not, which leads me to believe they are serving Choice or Select graded steaks.

8. pedrofan02

pedrofan02 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just ate at Oscar's a few weeks ago and while I think there are better steakhouses in Vegas from a food/menu standpoint, Oscar's is still very good and sitting on the patio overlooking Fremont eating dinner at Oscar's was one of the highlights of my trip. If you do choose Oscar's I'd also suggest pre-dinner cocktails at Legacy Club across the street around sunset time. Watching the sun set and the lights come up on the strip was fantastic and really glad we did that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you explain what that means for those not in the US? Is that bad? I've noticed most steakhouses including Bavettes and Prime (and most steakhouses) don't say USDA, meanwhile Peter Luger does.

Just don't ask for A1 or HP sauce lol

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  10. huskermike

huskermike Dice Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prime is the highest grade the USDA gives steaks. That being said most high end places don’t mention they only serve it for 2 reasons:
    1. It’s a given they would only serve Prime steaks.
    2. They have other offerings such as Kobe A5 which would make the statement untrue.
    There’s basically no chance Golden Steer, Bavette’s, or Prime would serve lower rated beef.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BlackJackLife

BlackJackLife Already dreaming of the next trip

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Golden Steer serves USDA Prime….

Summer heat for Independence Day week...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jack O. Better

Jack O. Better Boring Math Killjoy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or, if you happen to be shopping for your steak at Omega Mart…

IMG_0775.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jay in Victoria

Jay in Victoria Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at both. Love them both - but slightly different reasons. They are both iconic, but have a different history. My advice, pick the one most convenient for your upcoming trip. But next trip, try the other.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both are fantastic, but as far as ambiance, Oscar's has the lovely Ms. Chelsea. ;)

15. agh1856

agh1856 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cannot comment on Oscar's. Golden Steer is one of my favorite steakhouse experiences ever. Great ambiance, room, food, and service. Outside of excellent steak, the tableside Caesar, cherries jubilee, and the best twice baked potato I've ever had are all highly recommended. You won't regret Golden Steer, I can say that. Probably won't regret Oscar's, either

• Like Like x 1
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't go wrong with either place. Golden Steer is more vintage Vegas while Oscar's is more modern. Ask yourself if you want to step back in time a few decades or have a Fremont lit dinner with cocktails. Either way, you win.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sammibug66

Sammibug66 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Opinions seem pretty evenly split, from those who have been to both

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Liondownnow

Liondownnow Local and Lovin’ It

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been to both and they are both really great options and I would pick solely based on the rest of my plans as I rate them somewhat even. I know it is not a choice you mentioned but we prefer The Steakhouse at Circus Circus just a tad over these two.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sirdeez

sirdeez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the idea that Golden Steer would have Select... most Publix don't even have Select any more.

20. sullim4

sullim4 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At times I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like Golden Steer. We went there a few years ago - service was excellent, ambiance was perfect.

The food tasted like it was made for someone on a low sodium diet. I've never had a steak without a lick of salt until I ate there, and I haven't seen anything like it since. Same thing with the asparagus - no seasoning at all.

It's a place I'd love to like, but I just can't go back there after that given the price of admission.