1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New Orleans/Biloxi 8/1-8/5 - Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!! (Let the good times roll!!)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by DaiLun, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, final update on the beignet experience.

I had a beignets that were originally cooked at 3AM on Sunday. It was now 6AM on Tuesday.

IMHO, the best way to reheat beignets is 30 seconds a side in a deep fryer. That gets the outsides to about the same crispness as when they first come out of the fryer. I compared them to ones that I microwaved and I thought that there was no comparison. Yes, the microwaved ones were hot (warmed up), but kind of soggy.

Oh, and yes, powdered sugar is a MUST.

2. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi DaiLun:

Thanks for your trip report to New Orleans. It is a fun read -- as always. Since you were on a 7 Stars retreat did you get 50,000 Reward Credits deposited in your account? I recall that New Orleans was unusual in doing that. I used to convert the Reward Credits into free play but since that exchange was diluted in 2018, I am not sure what I would do with it and wonder what others do.

FAB

3. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I explained in another thread:

Yes, Harrahs NO credits your account with 50,000 RCs, but all of the "partner" restaurants redeem at 2:1.

The way that I "get around" using them at partner restaurants at 2:1 is by using VISA gift cards that I acquire at GGWU every year.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update. It's funny though, seems like if you are going to have to pull out the deep fryer you might as well just make some fresh..lol. We never deep fry anything at home anymore, but when we used to we would sometimes make doughnuts using canned biscuits that we'd make a hole in the middle of, deep fry, then cover with powdered sugar. Now that I think about it they were very similar to beignets.

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New Orleans is on my TO-DO list. I finally received a getaway offer from Biloxi this year out of Minneapolis (but friends didn't get it this year and I don't want to go by myself). But still have never received one from NOLA. I don't know if they don't junket from MSP or if I need to be at a higher level. (I do now see months worth of free rooms but I just want the free airfare too lol!!!).

I still have a 17 year old box of beignet mix from Cafe du Monde in my cupboard lol. I look at it and it brings back memories. Never opened it.

6. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Frozen Tundra. Desert dream died with him.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the great report. Heading down September 6th. First-timer NOLO. Absolutely learned a few things from your report.

7. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DaiLun:
    I'm going down there in December. I was looking at the website and didn't see the partner restaurant list anymore. Do you know if Commander's Palace is still a partner. I was thinking about doing a Sunday Brunch there with TR Certificate. Plus, I'd like to hit a couple of the others that were on there a couple years ago.

8. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that Commander's Palace IS still a partner restaurant. I will contact my host to check for sure.

Remember that all "partner" restaurants are 2:1.

9. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Yes I know about 2:1, I still have loads of points.

10. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My host just confirmed, Commanders Palace is still on the list.

Oh, and let me remind you in case you didn't know.

Collared shirts for men are MANDATORY at Commander's Palace.

11. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this list is a little old but still fairly accurate...check the dining tab on harrahs new orleans page for a few places not listed here...

besh obviously is now "the steakhouse" and im not sure if they still do luke or august as those were John Besh resturants

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    aiden gill is no longer on fulton and not a partner, but that was for haircut, shave and a cocktail with a nude mag, lol

cafe giavonni is closed for good

cafe adelaide is being taken over by lowes hotel so unsure how they will proceed

13. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the updates DaiLun and NewOrleansSlimm.

14. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been looking into dining options near Harrahs NOLO and found Adelaide is now:
    Poydras & Peters
    American Brasserie & Market
    https://www.loewshotels.com/new-orleans/dining/restaurant

15. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pass the place 6 times a week, 3 going to harrahs, 3 leaving...they may have changed the signs and I just didnt even pay attention, lol...I do always see the "swizzle stick bar" sign...ill look later today and see if they put up new signage.

this was a story on the closing, which apparently happened last Friday

https://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2018/07/cafe_adelaide_the_lowes_hotel.html

16. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I get it, we all pass something day in day out we don't pay attention to and never notice a change. Bet my X hasn't noticed I have not passed him in the hall in years :)

17. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so yesterday, sure enough, all signage down and just some vinyl lettering on the window

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

19. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its not cobblestones all over, lol but the streets and sidewalks still suck...as for the pedi-cabs, you will see them all over, usually a big group waits at the canal street entrance. they are a good way to get around but there is no real set pricing. its best to ask before you get in. ive use them quite a bit in the past price varied so much...harrahs offers manual wheelchairs for free, if you need the foot supports, its hit and miss, some have them, some dont...I think they rent the electric ones for $50 a day...

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are coming FROM Harrah's, there are always pedi-cabs hanging around. The city is very "walkable" but that assumes you are "walkable" as well.

If you are visiting places that are spaced out a bit then I recommend Lyft/Uber or the pedi-cabs. Worth every penny.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.