1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Less than ideal Uber experience at LAS airport (but mostly MY fault) - what would you do? (w/ quiz!)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by raisingoo, Jan 20, 2024.

1. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can raise a safety concern from within the Uber app, for future reference. You're 100% at fault for the $5.41 charge, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About as good as you could have done. I think I would have done the same. You’re clearly NOT a jerk of any type, at most you were part of a mistake (that is not 100% your fault). Mistakes happen. There’s nothing you could have reasonably done more to make it right.

It’s about time I’m back!
    Leg 2 of 4 - show me the new Rio!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I’ll just add that lately the driver reaching out with the stall location has become less and less of a thing (for me). I’ve had times to where I get the notification that they are there and no location prompting me to have to ask. And even then sometimes they won’t answer if they are outside waiting. I was told that was an “optional courtesy” and I fired back, “well not according to the Harry Reid people” who constantly won’t let people cross if the look puzzled. And if it’s a red Tesla? Yikes…

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't really expecting a refund of the $5.41. In my 25 times or so using Uber, I have never cancelled a ride, nor has the driver cancelled a ride on me-- all of them were prompt pickups on both sides, with the expected amount of fees being charged (and I always tipped, too). Therefore, I wasn't sure how the cancellation process works, as this was new to me.

My intent of going into the app (while still in the wrong car, and still on the I-15, no less, being completely unsure what to do, only knowing something is wrong) and going to the $5.41 transaction was to maybe provide additional information on what was going on (i.e. unauthoirzed ride) or maybe even find some way of contacting the original driver to tip that person (nope, can't do it) or maybe getting some sort of live support on the matter, as I was actively in the wrong vehicle and that vehicle still travelling. Again, this situation and also having to review a past (technically sort of quasi-"active") trip was completely new to me and I was thinking information is power. I didn't want to just let the situation lie.

The $5.41 auto-refund was unexpected, especially since without needing to provide additional details.

Again, I feel bad about the situation regarding the correct driver and passenger(s), who were inconvenienced. But hopefully they were able to quickly get their situations resolved.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DegenasaurusRex

DegenasaurusRex Rage,rage against the dying of the light

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just assume it’s my responsibility to know what strangers vehicle I’m getting into.

• Agree Agree x 12
  6. thebeachbum

thebeachbum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just pay what it takes to make it right and move on. Lesson learned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, one lesson learned in this saga was: it never occurred to me that someone might try to "highjack" someone else's ride and try to scam a free ride...
    I'm extra vigilant when waiting for a rideshare... it's a chaotic scene in the waiting area (esp. at LAS)... Before I enter the vehicle, I check the make/model/color of the vehicle and confirm the license plate number... Most importantly, when the arrival time approaches 1 minute, I'll watch the cars come around the ramp towards the designated stalls...if I see what looks like my ride, I'll walk across the barrier to check the license plate...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This happens EVERY time for me.

What a lot of companies are doing now, I find, is simply issuing refunds when requested without actually investigating or following up on the issue.

It's almost as though they figure "We'll probably grant the refund anyway if the customer asks, so why waste money on paying an employee to investigate it? Sure we might pay out some extra refunds that probably weren't necessary. But it saves us staffing costs and the customer is sure to be happy by getting what they wanted instantly."

I'm sure this makes sense from a business perspective, but if nobody is actually reviewing the situation that gave rise to the refund request... how will they ever improve anything?!

There's a Canadian loyalty program that I collect points on quite avidly, and points are sometimes missing from my purchases. Whenever I file a missing points request, as long as it's under $10 in value, it just about instantly gets granted. Like, the amount of time between when I submit it and then get the email saying "We have investigated your concern and are pleased to issue you X amount of points", there is NO WAY they were actually able to check the flyer against my purchases and verify that what I'm claiming was correct.

This is how customer service works now... for better or worse.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if you have taken an Uber from the airport recently but you are not supposed to leave the coral thingy until the driver texts you the exact parking space they are in. So OP walked to the color car and not the exact parking space. That's why it is their fault.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Vegas Rob

Vegas Rob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks .
    I've never taken an UBER from the airport always get a taxi , that explains why everyone is saying the OP was wrong ,
    I had just presumed wrongly that it was like any other rideshare pick area at hotels .