1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Black Amex holders - does the card do you much good in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by notfromconcentrate, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's one of my goals in life to attain the black American Express "Centurion" card. I've done a great deal of research about it - but I've just become curious... does it afford you any real benefits in Las Vegas? I know that at some hotels there are complimentary upgrades with this card, but can anyone speak from tangible knowledge as to how far this card will get you in Las Vegas?

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  2. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

3. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do hang out in the lounge often. It's a decent lounge. I fell asleep in there on my last trip and grabbed an hour nap. I tend to get to the airport fairly early for my flights, so the lounge is a great place to hang out.

4. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting a high end credit card is one of your life goals? Seriously?

5. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cancelled my card about 5 years ago. All the perks for the card came in from FHR where they might have some additional amenities at no extra cost. I used to pay for rooms during convention times at Mandalay Bay, but they came with a $60 food credit and $150 spa credit and the room cost was around $120. I definitely always came out ahead on those without having to gamble. I think they sent us some free nights at the Wynn as well a few times.

Honestly, if you don't already have the card, it's not worth the initiation and annual fees The benefits keep degrading and the fees keep increasing.

6. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I hear the concierge services can really grant access to exclusive events and what not. I managed to snag tickets to the U.S. Open very easily some years ago and that was on Platinum status.

7. mattjs33

mattjs33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep getting invites for the Platinum Card all the time (Gold at the moment). Whatever benefits it might offer, I don't think I would use more than once or twice a year. It'd be cool to have a Platinum Card I guess, but what is it now, $500 a year? Who can justify that for a credit card??

Black card, I can't even imagine. It's a world with which I'm entirely unfamiliar.

8. pleepleus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They can usually get what you want as long as you're willing to pay for it. Amex always has a huge block of US Open tickets available from what I remember.

9. rainy425

rainy425 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't comment on black specifically, but as an Amex platinum cardholder, no. My mlife comps and benefits are way better than what Amex offers, so I book thru mlife. I usually stay at Aria and I get 3 nights free, $200 freeplay, and $200 resort credit, so that beats doing a FHR at Aria. I did use a FHR reservation at Palazzo a few years ago but the room upgrade wasn't available at checkin, I didn't use the late checkout since I was moving to Aria, and I didn't use the free breakfast for two since I ended up eating at Bouchon, so it didn't really pan out for me.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AMEX is not going to get you much in Vegas. If your gambleing is low, there are some hotel perks - for folks that PAY for rooms.

As to the AMEX lounge at the airport, you can get that with the Plat card. That card, even with the $450 annual fee is worth it to some people, not all.

Black - I have yet to figure out what that is a big deal. (and I have about 30 credit cards by the way)

11. pleepleus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the nice perks it used to come top status on many travel programs like SPG, Hilton, Avis, so it was great if you traveled a lot.

They would send invites for special events with free premium goodie bags. They sent gift certificates for free shopping. This isn't the case these days from what my friends tell me that still have the card.

12. smark

smark Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Platinum is worth it if you take advantage of the perks like the $200 reimbursement for your favorite airline and TSA Precheck/Global entry reimbursement. And the Priority Pass membership.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.