1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Auto Repair Costs are getting Ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by fasbman, Feb 5, 2024.

1. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a check engine light that came on about a month ago. Due to traveling and other conflicts, I wasn't able to make an appointment until today. Naturally, the check engine light went off last week after being on for a month. I still brought the car in, because I wanted a new battery. Mine was almost four years old, and they seem to need replacing about that time, so I figured I would be proactive. I also asked them to run a computer diagnostic to see if there are any trouble indications.

They called and said that the water pump was leaking, and the pump, housing and seals needed to be replaced along with a flush and fill. The repair would be $1300 and change! That didn't even include the flush and fill and the new battery (which together would be about $500).

Fortunately, I bought a lifetime warranty, when I first purchased the car, so I should only be out the cost of the deductible, flush and fill and battery (about $600), which is much better than the $1800+ all in price they originally quoted.

Is everyone else seeing such outrageous auto repair costs these days? .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Water pump is usually high as a lot of work to get to/pull apart.

How many miles are on the car? Did they mention anything about the timing belt/chain?

The prices dealerships around here want for an oil change is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took my wife's 2015 in for a coolant flush last week. $108 at Valvoline.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Talk about getting flushed and drained! But then again I don’t want to get back to the days where my Dad had Chilton’s auto repair manuals for all our cars and we did most every kind of maintenance and replacement items except for paint and body work, usually on weekends or holidays.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

6. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they are, we've had autos with extended OEM warranties for years, but my trucks have always been mine and I wrench on them myself. Good thing as well, since the prices for diesel truck repairs when the money light comes on will scare the ___ out of anyone. Then again doing the the work myself saves me huge.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I like to think that I'm a wizard with numbers, that definitely does not translate to mechanical issues.

8. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a cheap scan tool 15 years ago to see what’s causing the check engine light. Worth the 30 bucks.Sometimes I can fix it myself.
    As I get older it’s getting harder to crawl under to do oil changes but for me it’s not the money, it’s the time to sit and wait for someone to do it plus I can use a higher quality oil (Mobil 1) and filter than the local shop.
    Repairs are sure getting expensive. I’m riding my bicycle more on errands just so I don’t use the car. I can fix the bike.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m at the car dealership getting an oil change and they told me I have to replace my underbody splash shield for $400+:*(

Oh well. It is what it is lol

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  10. Sgt_Shultz

Sgt_Shultz If the phone doesn't ring it's me

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great now I can't get Penny from BBT out of my head

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Cat_Bird_Seat

Cat_Bird_Seat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have time, I’d start checking around on the internet & find a quote for a lower price for your specific car.
    Once you find a better price, ask the dealer if they will price match to the lower price.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, but it’s already done. It’s gonna rain here and I don’t want water getting into the engine from underneath or the oil gasket getting cracked or whatever. I don’t even know how badly torn it was, but he made it seem like it was bad and wasn’t sure they could clasp it back on. I did run over something hard on my way home so it’s totally plausible it was ripped up. I initially looked online and was a bit annoyed that it was more than 4X the price on the Internet. I don’t think they price match here and certainly if it isn’t an authentic part.

I wrote to my friends that it was like a hard condom. Gotta protect the car. Lol

Bye $500 lol

• Like Like x 3
  13. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine dealership told me I needed a new battery. I was like really? They quoted me a price and I said and if it goes bad again what's my warranty. They said we'll replace it for free within 5 years. My response: Oh good cause you put the current one in 3 years ago....:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 2015 Pathfinder 79kmiles developed a rattle up by the fan. I took it in, they said bearing problems with the fan. $1400. Seems like this is the time that starts my theory: either pay the money to the bank or to the repair shop. Either way I'm gonna pay. Rather than taking their shuttle back home to wait I took a 2024 Platinum Pathfinder. The wife doesn't want a car payment. We'll see how that tug-of-war goes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Running late

Running late High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lucked out recently. A couple things on my car I thought were going to cost me a couple thousand ended up costing around $650 altogether. I’m kind of mad at myself because one of those was the AC. I suffered through the end of summer at 100+ degrees with no AC thinking I’d wait to fix it until after my raise kicked in. Turns out it was only $200 to fix it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The costs have me interested in one of these warranty services but it's hard to tell which ones are trustworthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our 2018 Toyota Highlander is the first car for which I bought the manufacturer's extended warranty. Probably a waste of money, as it's been very reliable so far. Doing some research, I found out that you do not have to buy it from the dealer that sells you the car. Our selling dealer wanted $3500 for the Toyota warranty. I bought it from a Michigan Toyota dealer for $1500. Same warranty, the 10-year official manufacturer one. So, if you buy a car and want an extended warranty, do some internet research as to where to get it. That's how I located the Michigan dealer.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was it less than $1400. :peace: Hopefully you don’t have to sleep on the couch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or in the Pathfinder….

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The mechanics are making the company more money than the sales people.
    Never understood why the don’t discount vehicles a lot more to get people to buy.
    With all the electronic stuff, their won’t be much do it yourself projects.

• Agree Agree x 3