1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone Else More Nervous About Flying?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by marksind, Apr 23, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, but not because of safety, but because of all the delays. In the last year I have flown to LAS 3 times, needing 11 segments, 4 were on time and 7 were delayed, 3 of which were caused by maintaince and only 1 delay was because of weather at the airport I was using. I have yet to get to LAS or home to PIT on the scheduled time, with the average delay being 2 hours.

2. Bertie52

Bertie52 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No.
    However, I was surprised that the only airline mentioned in mishaps was Southwest

3. RobzNtheHood

RobzNtheHood Doughboy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are that nervous or anxious about flying, then I strongly advise you to not drive in the Washington DC/Baltimore MD area where the probability of you getting in a car accident is exponentially higher than you being in an airline collision or failure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. moongoa

moongoa You got to want it!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, always nervous. Funny because I’ve been flying since I was five years old. I had no issue until my mid 40s and then boom hit me like a ton of Bricks. It’s been amped up with all the BS going on between air traffic control, Boeing, poor maintenance standards. So Xanax is my friend When flying. I realize it is still an irrational fear, but the reality is I still need to go places and I’m gonna get on the plane. Just need help mother helper.

I’m sure I’ll need an escape from the trashy castle
    Wild West adventure
  5. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. jebr

jebr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I'm not. A lot of these close calls have likely been happening for years, but now that the news cycle is hyper-focused on anything plane-related every incident seems to be reported, often way out of proportion to the actual risk that exists. Meanwhile there's car crashes every hour, and the only time I really hear about them is in the local traffic report.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. RobzNtheHood

RobzNtheHood Doughboy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fixed that sentence for you. This is the real reason because the 24 hour news cycle has its teeth in this after what happened with the Alaska Air 737.

A few months ago, a buddy of mine was on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner for a IAD-LAX flight when the jet way went the wrong way and peeled the aluminum skin right off the fuselage.

This before the Alaska Air 737 incident, so I would not have know that had happened through social media and the media.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 24/7 news cycle has changed the time allotted to all kinds of stories. Lots of time to fill and anything that can keep viewers gets lots of play. Flying in general fits the bill…near misses, unruly passengers, ancient systems for airlines and ATC, and massive amounts of delays and cancellations.

In pro wrestling they used to say “Red turns green”…it kind of fits news reporting perfectly. Why do you think every storm is the worst one ever?

Anyway, I am always a little nervous when I haven’t flown for a while. Other than that, I am not afraid to fly.

9. moongoa

moongoa You got to want it!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The horror!!!!

I’m sure I’ll need an escape from the trashy castle
    Wild West adventure
  10. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At times I certainly do get anxious over it. But some of it is from the buildup of the flight. Such as getting to the airport on time, checking in and getting to the right gate, especially when they've been changed :blink: This happened our last flight. We were sitting down eating then all of a sudden realized our gate changed. No Announcement :nono: So had to go running through the airport. Then the flight itself was not good because of the weather. I haven't gotten sick on a flight in decades. I thought for sure on this one I was going to.

But always anxious about flying for many reasons...

11. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I say no, but also just chose a less convenient departure time for a cross country flight because it was on an Airbus and not a Boeing.

Flying is safe. Considerably safer than driving.

The issues at Boeing have made things a little less safe, but still statistically safer than driving from your house to the office.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Humans are a superstitious lot. A few more incidents is, in isolation, never a good thing. But the system functions very well and as so many have pointed out ...

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am closing this thread to further comments.

To address the OP, your question was not the reason for the closure. There is an element of media right now that has figured out that outrage bait gets clicks and eyeballs. There's a lot of rage bait out there. Do Not Engage! :haha:

The reason for the closure was a violation of our stereotyping rule:
    The main rule on VMB is don't be a jerk. You can be a jerk on your personal blogs, social media, pages and sites and feeds that allow it. We don't. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.