1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Elvis at the Aria?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Annie Vegas, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annie Vegas

Annie Vegas Low-Roller

My husband just heard on television tonight that the Elvis show may be coming back to the Aria. Does anyone know if this is true? I've been outta the loop so forgive me if I missed this.

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt it. I haven't heard anything.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  3. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zarkana is a flop, as was the Elvis show. I doubt they'd bring it back but who knows! What TV was this? A newscast?

4. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seriously doubt it - here is an article from three years ago that says it was MGM that told Cirque to get rid of Elvis because it was performing so poorly:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2011/nov/23/mgm-resorts-tells-cirque-shutter-viva-elvis/

However I do recall a Michael Jackson Cirque show that did not do well either when it first premiered and then it was retooled into the new one that is a success at Mandalay Bay, so you never know. Since Elvis is so tied to Vegas they might try to revive it at some point but it would have to be completely reworked and would probably be at another location so that people don't confuse it with the flop. I went on google to try and find information about Elvis coming back (the show, not the singer!) and there is nothing anywhere on the internet that I can see about it returning.

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

There's an MJ cirque show that's touring the US right now. I wonder if that's the one that didn't do well. And with Elvis I figured they'd tour it. It would clean up in places like Branson and Memphis.

6. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think that is the show that flopped in Vegas - it is called "Michael Jackson Immortal" and I remember it did not do well when it premiered. Michael Jackson ONE is a different story....I never saw Immortal but I did see ONE and I really enjoyed it. I agree that other cities in America would eat up the Elvis show. I would have liked to have seen it, even if it wasn't the jewel in the Cirque du Soleil crown.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the one that is touring. It's down the street from my house this weekend. It was near my gf's hometown last week and a lot of people she knew were all abuzz about it. So I'm guessing it's doing decently on tour.

8. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Michael Jackson Immortal is the touring arena show. And it's terrible. It played Mandalay Bay for a month or so almost three years ago. It seems that their business model is to just continuously hit new cities, sell tons of tickets due to the Cirque and MJ names, and then people leave disappointed. It's one of the few touring shows I've ever seen to have their own yelp review thread.

The plan for Mandalay Bay's showroom was always to create a brand new show made for that stage. And that's what they did. And it's incredible!

I really don't think they can bring Viva Elvis back. It was doing so poorly that there's no reason to gamble on it again. Nothing about Vegas has changed to the point where that show could come back a success.

9. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Elvis just isn't doing that well in LV. I don't think the two youngest generations are into Elvis like our parents and grandparents were.

Bill

10. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zarkana is a flop? It's in my top two Vegas cirque shows for sure (the other being Mystere)

11. Bluskies

Bluskies Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw it back in February and the character of the magician going back to the theater of his youth wasn't even in it. I didn't realize that at first, it just looked like the ghosts were responding to someone who wasn't there. I came away thinking, "Eh."

Love is still the best Cirque show in Vegas.

12. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes I really cant tell which people on this board are trolling here or not.
    But saying that Zarkana and Mystere are the TOP2 Cirque Vegas shows is at least near trolling.

13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are people who are into shows like Zarkana and Mystere because they're more "traditional" Cirque shows, but on the other hand, that's why these shows aren't doing that well, comparatively speaking (at least in my reading of the situation). I think people have come to expect a "gimmick" when it comes to Cirque shows -- O has water, Ka has the wall, Love is The Beatles, and One is Michael Jackson. Zarkana and Mystere, by contrast, are pretty much just core Cirque.

14. Shauncho

Shauncho Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    False, Elvis is dead.

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is perfectly acceptable for a member of this board to list his/her favorite or "top" shows, whatever they are. It's an opinion, and that's what was stated. The post did not state that those are the top two "selling" CDS shows or shows in Vegas in general.

Pleae, be polite. It's ok to disagree. It's not ok to call someone a troll for stating an opinion.

16. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    La Nouba is doing good. I would say it's a traditional Cirque show.

17. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must be one of the few people who actually liked Viva Elvis. Of course I went into it as an Elvis fan, and not expecting a tribute show.
    I saw the show after it had been tweaked by cutting out some of the colonel and singers.

It wasn't a half bad show, there were definitely some lulls and scenes that did not make sense. Where it flopped IMHO was..

1) Cirque did not do a good enough job distinguishing what it was. The performance I went to, there were a lot of people expecting an Elvis tribute show, seriously. I saw some old geezers walk out midway thru, thinking they were going to see an impersonator.
    2) It did not have the visual impact and creativeness of LOVE. I blame this on Pricilla Presley meddling with the Cirque folks.
    3) Some of the scenes felt disconnected from each other when they went thru telling Elvis's story. Where as LOVE seems to flow somehow.
    4) A lot of people who wanted a Cirque acrobat show were disappointed in the level of acts vs Mystere, KA, etc.

That being said, I thought the show was way fixable. However the relevance of Elvis may have passed, and does not appeal to the current generation. I bet Cirque could put together a Tupaq based show that would sell more tickets to the 21 to 44 demographic than either Viva Elvis or Zarkanna.

4)

18. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a touring MJ show. We saw it at MB in the arena, it was HORRIBLE. Worst show I've ever seen and we paid almost $500 to see it.

Yea the Elvis show was meh too.. doubt it would return. Personally I think the issue is the pop culture shows. Because there aren't really any impressive acrobatics. The straight up Cirque shows that they do in the tents are incredible, and interesting. But all the Vegas ones I've been to have been duds.

19. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought the pop culture shows were a way to attract an audience that would not traditionally be into "circus act" style entertainment. While I appreciate the artistic flair of Cirque, I thought La Nouba and Mystere were a snoozer.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.