1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Yikes! I would also have stopped

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Rebel Renee

Rebel Renee Tourist

I think the issue is that she parked in the middle of the freeway and not the side.... even still that is a hefty price to pay for trying to do a kind deed

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there was a shoulder maybe I would stop. But if not, I wouldn't because it's definitely illegal and I would expect a similar ruling against me.

My ex fiancée's sister died in a similar fashion except that the person "parking" the car was an alcoholic without a license. 4th dui for him, got a plea bargain of 22 years. As for this lady, I expect her to get a lot less time, but common sense people...you can't intentionally stop in the middle of a road!

What sad about both these stories is if those who died were both not riding motorcycles they likely survive. I would totally be okay banning them, especially after how I seen them straddle the car pool lane line on I-15 in SoCal to pass car pool lane traffic in a traffic jam. Those assholes really have a death wish.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a freeway, a divided highway.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always avoid animals in the road. In Southern Maryland, we have a lot of turtles in the road and I always avoid them and will even pull over to the shoulder and help them across when it's safe to do so. It honestly breaks my heart when I come across one that has been splattered, because I know it was most likely done intentionally. Same goes for the black rat snake. They are completely harmless and eat rodents and other pests. Yet people will kill them with abandon.

I always ponder why so many skunks end up as road kill.

Stopping on a busy highway, however, is a totally different story.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stopped yesterday for a bald eagle eating roadkill, because it was a bald eagle eating roadkill. :) One guy honked (a sin in our little community) and the eagle and I both turned and gave him the same look. :haha:

I can't remember if it was here or not that I mentioned it, but a couple months ago I was driving through a section of our county that is a 4 lane highway, with a jersey barrier in the middle. On one side of the road is a rock face/cliff, the other side is water. No shoulders to speak of. All of the sudden, traffic stops. I was sure it was an accident as they happen there and it's awful. I inched my way up and it was a family of canadian geese, snacking in the puddles next to the jersey barrier and everyone had to creep by to not squish the babies.

That's how you know I live in the sticks. Nobody would stop for a goose on the Seattle side of the sound. :)

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This can be one of those difficult stories...

They had to find her guilty: she stopped her car in the inside lane of the freeway next to the divider, got out and was herding the ducks and two people died because of it.

But on the other hand: if there was no accident and a news truck happened along it would have probably been that nights feel good story leading the news about how in all the hustle and bustle of the world somebody stopped on the freeway, got out and saved the little duckies - she would have been hailed a hero in that case.

And though they could pretty much put her away for almost the rest of her life I don't think she will get much of a sentence because the motorcyclist has to takesome of the blame here: she had stopped and was outside of her car rounding up the ducks when the bike hit her, so it wasn't like she just suddenly saw the ducks and slammed on the brakes and the bike was following close and hit her. The motorcyclist was also speeding: going up around 130 km/h in a 90 km/h stretch (about 85 mph where limit was 55 mph) and if he was traveling at a safer speed he would have seen the car and had more time to react and his braking distance would have been cut to about a third.

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was in high school, a fellow student killed someone when he swerved to avoid a dog in the road, lost control of his car and crashed into a car killing the occupant. It's always a tough decision when there's animals in the roadway.

9. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Well alot of strange things happen in Washinton

10. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A long time ago on a busy freeway a driver had to make a split-second decision as to either swerve to avoid a cat frozen in her tracks, or continue on to avoid a very likely freeway multiple car collision.

Sorry to say, the cat was on the losing end of that decision. The driver was me. My wife cried all the way home.

I'll never forget that day.

11. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You chose the best option you had available to you. Many years ago I was involved in a crash. I think I might have avoided the crash by taking a dangerous evasive action. The evasive action might have had me crash into another car or even a house. I figured, in that split second you have to think, that I'd take the crash and suffer some minor injuries rather risk killing someone to avoid it. My injuries were minor and the other driver wasn't injured at all.

12. billyinpg

billyinpg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With this in the news you wouldn't think I witnessed what I did yesterday.

Divided highway downhill with a "S" curve. Traffic is moderate and moving along pretty good, I am in the left lane maybe a lil bit faster than anyone else and what do I see as I come around the last turn?

A F-ING cop lights on stopped in the left lane dicking around with something on the opposite shoulder. Soooo close to a pile up it wasn't funny. There was a nice wide shoulder just a lane over but he figured he was too good to pull over I guess.

Traffic almost came to a stop and people were honking and yelling and he stood there on the other side of the highway with a stupid look on his face.:thumbsdown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.