1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit Airlines and the D offer

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by KimberlyJ, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they still have the offer that if you show your boarding pass within 24 hrs at the D Players club, you will get $50.00 freeplay? We were there a few weeks ago and there weren't any signs or advertising, but I heard someone say they were still offering it. Does anyone know for sure?

2. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Spirit last month. I took my boarding pass to the D's players club the next day and received two $25 matchplay chips. They don't advertise it at the D, but I think I saw an ad on the rental car shuttle bus.

3. srudude87

srudude87 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew in September. I think I remember ad on the plane saying it was until Mar 31 2014, might be April, but it was definitely 2014.

4. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this promotion last Friday and I can confirm that they're still doing it. The only place I've seen it advertised is inside the Spirit aircraft themselves.

As a poster mentioned above, they will give you two $25 match play chips. I bet mine on black and it came up zero both times :(

5. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would Allegiant work...since its basically the same thing as Spirit?

6. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son and I took The D's Spirit Airline offer a year or two ago... and there is not enough money to make either of us ever fly Spirit again. Believe me, it is not worth the chips. Look at some online reviews of the airline if you don't believe me. A lot of people's flights got cancelled... ours did not... but the plane was extremely old and the seats broken... the whole flight was scary and noisy!!! The personnel were for the most part very nice, but we feel sorry for them to have to fly those planes.

8. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, Spirit and Allegiant are known to cancel flights for no reason given, and they dont work with other airlines to get you on another flight...they do not give refunds...they dont bring in another plane (atleast on that same day) and have heard horror stories of people stranded at airports for 2-3 days waiting for the next flight. Both of them also charge for carry on bags, checked luggage, even a soda on the plane. I will stick with a major carrier if at all possible so in the event of a cancelled flight there are options.

9. themightydude

themightydude High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown spirit twice now from Houston to LAS and haven't had any issues other than a 30-45 minute delay due to the inbound flight being delayed, but who hasn't had that happen before on non-discount carriers?

I have always just paid the money upfront and booked the big front seats which I do highly recommend. Granted Spirit isn't big on customer service and you get what you pay for, but they do have a somewhat modern fleet. It's the same aircraft you would fly if you flew United, Delta, US Airways etc which are the A320/A321 aircraft, just the Airbus version of the 737. The difference is that they shove as many seats int he plane as they can to maximize the number of passengers per flight and because of this you lose a lot of your legroom and seat recline. I have yet to fly in the standard seats in the back and not sure I ever wood, as the big front seats are basically first class seats minus all the amenities you get in first class.

For me if I can fly an airline like southwest, united, delta for within $50-$75 of a spirit price, I'm going to choose those airlines over spirit, but unfortunately, Spirit is usually at least $100 + cheaper, and when your buying 2 tickets it can add up.

10. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DAMN DAMN DAMN, I have flown Spirit Airlines to Vegas 4 times within the last 12 months and never knew about this detail. Thinking about heading back in July hopefully it will still be going on.

11. Toast2

Toast2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. Flying with spirit out of chicago for the first time. Hope I have a good experience lol.

12. article_1_section_8

article_1_section_8 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    **PEDANTIC POINT ALERT**
    While your overall experience might not have been great, you almost certainly weren't on an extremely old plane. In fact, Spirit has, on average, nearly the newest fleet of any major domestic carrier:
    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/04/12/how-old-is-your-plane-these-airline-fleet-age-rank.aspx

13. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Grizzled Vereran

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm surprised Spirit doesn't have a hidden charge for seatbelt use. They are the masters at deceptive pricing.

14. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's funny cause they quote all there prices on there website while booking, the only thing not on there website is that they don't give you a "FREE" sip of soda and a handfull of peanuts.

15. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cheap Spirit flights that I find out of Houston are usually at crap times. Iv'e done a red eye before, not for me. Plus I prefer to fly out of HOU as opposed to IAH so it's SWA for me. Though the Dunkin Donuts workers I think have it out for me at Hobby.:Þ

16. Kickin

Kickin Flea

What about the $30+ they charge on a roundtrip ticket as a "Passenger Usage Fee"? That's a fee just for booking your ticket online and they tack it on to their base fare as a separate line item by claiming its optional because you can buy your ticket at the airport to avoid it. Who the hell buys tickets at the airport anymore? They borrowed that scam from Ticketmaster. Its a clearly deceptive fee in place so they can make it look like the actual "flight" is cheaper.

Nothing wrong if Spirit works for you, but its defenders always suggest the difference is you don't get a soda and pretzels. What about water? Least legroom in the nation? But more importantly what about having the worst cancellation record and the fact they have no agreements with other airlines to book passengers so you're left stranded? No refunds or credits either unless they have to under DOT guidelines. They have upwards of 8x as many complaints per passenger filed against them to the DOT than other airlines.

Spirit is profitable and they clearly fill a niche, but suggesting its just lacking in a sip of soda and peanuts, or even carry-on bags is ignoring how awful it is in the things that really count. They cut corners everywhere. But then again what can you expect from an airline that actually uses the term "its just your ass plus gas" on its homepage when describing its fares. :wink2:

17. Reeder1700

Reeder1700 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flew Spirit for my trip last weekend. The D promotion is still good. As for Spirit we have flown them over a dozen times and never had a problem. We always manage to fit our stuff on one bag though to save some money!!

18. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did this the other day, and had great luck. Waited until the second shoe to use my match play chips and back to back 11's, and hit 10's on my double downs and won both hands.

19. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About to go visit the D and see if this offer is still good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.