1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slot Tournaments

Discussion in 'Comps' started by thecarve, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Is there anything to slot tournaments other than showing up on time and hitting the button as fast as you can for ten minutes? Is there anything you can do to help/hurt your chances?

I just want to make sure it's all luck so I can compare he EV of the slot tournament with other, more straightforward offers I have.

Thanks a lot! :beer:

2. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You answered your own question lol....it's a waste of time....I've learned the hard way.....

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, hitting the button over and over as fast as you can is a waste of effort.

Until it gets to the end of the "current spin", all those hits on the button do nothing. Nothing at all.

But, people still do it.

In the end, a slot tournament is a little fun and a chance of some freeplay.

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. Theoretically, the slot tournament is worth a lot more than my other offers. I just wanted to make sure that my not having a clue wasn't going to put me at a disadvantage.

5. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not "knowing how to play" will be an advantage! ;)

Just show up, press the button a lot and hope you are lucky. I've been playing tournaments at V/P for the last few years and always had fun. After the first round people drop out if they have a crappy score, so the odds of finishing in the money go up. I've finished in the money more often than not over say 20 tournaments. So long as they keep sending me invites with 3 free nights attached, we'll show up. Free entry, free nights, we gamble a little (low rollers)... it's all good!

6. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nope its rigged just hope u get the lucky machine

7. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No skill...just luck.

As for hitting the button continuously...even during a spin...I suggest to implement this method. Trying to time the next button press right when the reels stop can (and probably will) cause you to miss a few spins. Based on the last two tournement I participated it, the different between prize tiers is one spin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on how many people are playing, a slot tournament offer is pretty slim. After all, there are only so many winners.

9. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some truth to that. Depending on what you are doing. My point was hitting the button when all three reels are spinning is a waste of time. Or even if #2 and #3 are spinning. Hitting it well before #3 stops is a good idea to make sure you do not miss a spin.

Then again, many places are moving to the new video slots with "virtual" spins. No reels. So, that idea may go out the window.

10. steveorama

steveorama Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I like this tournament at the Golden Nugget, where it doesn't really matter how you play because the payoff's are scrambled. Its called Topsy Turvy.
    Here's the payoff schedule:
    Prize Structure
    1st Place - $20,000
    Choose CASH, FREE Slot Play or Promo Chips
    2nd - $1,500
    3rd - $500
    4th - $3,000
    5th - $500
    6th - $850
    7th - $150
    8th - $650
    9th - $500
    10th - $2,500
    11th-25th - $40 each
    26th - $700
    27th-100th - $75 each
    101st-115th - $300 each
    116th - $1,000
    117th-149th - $50 each
    150th - $325
    151st-174th - $100 each
    175th - $2,000
    176th-180th - $125 each
    181st & Below - $25 each

I won $2000 two yeas ago for ending in 175th place.

So since its based on 400 players and has a $100 entry fee - where else can you get a 1 in 400 chance to win $20,000 and it won't cost you more than $75 and 2 15 minute sessions?

11. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^ Why wouldnt you choose cash!!

12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tax liability would be my guess.

nostresshere, most of the tournaments I play in have a prize structure that pays the top third of the entrants. Them's pretty good odds. Better than you'll get at the tables!

13. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So these slot tournaments take less than half an hour?

I got a mailer for one a while ago and didn't go because I thought it would take up a day or more, kinda like going deep in a multi-day WSOP event.

Perhaps I should have read the fine print, or read more from the good people of VMB. Good to know for the future though.

14. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most tournaments consist of three 10 minutes sessions. For example, my last tournament I played at 9:40am, 4:20 pm, then at 9:40 the next morning. Your score is the total of all three sessions.

15. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    some are like that some are just one session, you usualy dont know till you get there same as with all tourney's some times they chnge them just before depending on how many people show up.

i just played a bj tourney and the dealers didnt have a clue how a tourney worked thought you played it just like regular bj it was a nite mare, cost me the 3rd round.

16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand why people want cash vs. freeplay - in most cases that is.

Assuming you are playing slots anyways, why not use their freeplay instead of your cash?

Freeplay is treated as no value for tax purposes.

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the way tournaments are structured, your trip is mostly over and cash blown through by the time you receive your reward. There is an advantage for taking free play for a one day tourney, smaller reward and/or if you have a plenty of time to play through. Otherwise, cash makes more sense to me even with the tax liability.

18. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take the free play and head to a dollar video poker machine. Cycle the FP through once and cash out. I'm averaging a 65-80% cash conversion, and I don't have to hassle the paperwork on taxes. Worth it to me and it takes all of 15 minutes to do. And on occasion I get lucky and turn $100 into $300. ;)

19. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I miss interpreted the prize structure...

I thought the 1st place $20k was the only one you could choose how you received the prize...it appears it is the opposite...so it makes sense now. I would take $20k cash...not free play...but all others I would take FP

20. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would agree if you are were about to leave Vegas and head home as mentioned earlier.

But, if you were going to be there a few days, and play much, doing $20k coin in is not difficult. Anyone that could earn 4,000 Tier Credits on a trip would be doing that anyways, or if it was 2,000 Tier Credits on Video Poker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.