1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My Lazy Neighbor - Have You Got One,Too ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My lazy @ss neighbor.
    The guy pulls this crap every snowfall.
    My two parking spots - borders his two.
    He NEVER shovels between his car and mine.
    He waits for me to do it. ALL THE TIME !
    I've been doing it - cos I always shovel before him.
    His lazy @ss never gets out there until much later.
    This last snowfall ( of MANY this winter ) -
    I said, "That's it...I ain't shovelling his crap."
    So, I clean right up ( my spot ) to the white line between the
    parking spots.
    The lazy @ss NEVER shovelled the more than 12 inches of snow -
    on his side.....instead, he parks his car further over into his two spots.
    So, now, it's a frozen hunk of a mess.....and dangerous !
    L..A..Z..Y.........@SS !!!
    He used to use the "cutout" I shovelled -
    so, I could get from the sidewalk to my car.
    There's a 3 foot wide path of grass from sidewalk to parking lot.
    I guess, his wife finally complained to him + he started cutting
    his own the last two winters.
    I'm tired......I need to vent.....sorry....
    guess I'll go shovel some more AT WORK, too !:Þ

2. anonanon

anonanon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate shoveling snow! Glad I live in a condo now where I don't have to shovel :)

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like our neighbors. Waiting for one to finish his big backyard project so we can coordinate on our respective side yards and re-landscaping (ours turned to dirt last year when we did the backyard).

We have an association here so no one goes too stupid with "dream" landscaping or paint schemes that are a nightmare to everyone else.

Now the ones at the last place ...

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My neighbors shovel my walk and my jeep out of the snow. They also prune some of my trees. The lady of the couple said it's because I'm a veteran and they are just paying back.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Got a few of those actually. Won't shovel the front walk even though it's part of the co-op rules, barely keep their lawns mowed or trim their bushes. And of course you can't count on them to actually do any beautification of they don't do basic maintenance.

6. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For years I had a neighbor whose tree was more in our yard than his. Each Fall, without a tree of my own, my yard was regularly filled leaves. I was going to just shovel them into his yard, but I thought they would just be blown right back into mine. I moved.

7. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love shoveling the snow in Chicago. It is great exercise!

I'll even shovel the yard snow into a sledding slope for the kids....

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1197.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa430%2FBeee_Jay%2FSeanySled_zpsb303edc3.mp4">

8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me and 1 neighbor share the same sidewalk/steps/path through the grass to the driveway. I'll either shovel when I come home wasted at 2AM or he will do it in the morning. I'd say we've been close to 50/50 the past 2 winters for shoveling, good neighbor.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I said hi to a neighbor on my way to the mailbox yesterday. Of course we were both longingly looking at the pool. Another few degrees and we would have been swimming in it.

I just went for a nice long run instead. had to try out the new shorts and tee shirt. A bit warm for running though. Should try to get an earlier start next time.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, god dammit you got me going now........LOL.......but true...I feel for you and all the others who TRY to get along with the dumb@ass people who live close by.......

Here's my story if you have time........not to steal your post.....

We have a real nice chocolate Lab who barks now and then when outside, but we HATE dogs that bark so we are on top of that ASAP.......and I mean less then 5 minutes.....

Two weeks ago the wife had to take me into the hospital for a minor heart problem (2 stents inserted). We had to leave at 6am for the hospital....at 6:22am the neighbor next door (which we have done MANY favors for) left a message that our dog was barking).....at 7:22 the police department called but did not leave a message (caller ID)...my wife seen the neighbor message on the machine when she returned and left a apologize note in their mailbox explaining she had to take me to the hospital......next day she brings me home and the next door neighbor is out blowing the snow while my wife is shoveling....he stops short of our driveway while she is shoveling.) BTW I have done his driveway 3-4 times this year alone figuring they could use the time for a extra cup of coffee in the morning as I'm retired).... I have also brought in their garbage cans MANY times, watered his lawn while he was trying to grow grass and other numerous small things a good neighbor would do. Now I think I will never do any more good deeds for anyone.

11. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah I need to go and take a look at the local pool and see if its warm enough for swimming yet. can't be far off..

12. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When people get me down like the OP posters neighbor I try to take the high road. There will come a time when I can't shovel or do for others. I'm just grateful I'm healthy still and can help out sometimes. Maybe I'm just trying to build up good karma FOR GAMBLING.

TomTWi

13. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I'll add this --
    Same neighbor ripped his achilles tendon 2 summers ago.
    I mowed his lawn all year......I never said a word...just did it.
    His wife gave me a six pack of Saranac Beers.
    His 6 yr old son is a good kid + has said some unintentionally
    funny things over the years.
    The guy is just not a shoveller !:nworthy:

14. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buck up Joe; blizzard warnings are up here in southern Minnesota...supposed to get another 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow with 25 MPH winds. Northern Wisconsin will probably get some of it too. Glad I invested in a bigger snowblower last year. Oh, and the temperature will be back below zero next week.

15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to live by the adage that we can never really know what people are going through and I try to have a generous heart. But some people make that really difficult.

The way our house is set up, three houses share one driveway. That driveway is completely on our property, it's an easement. IMO, that means we share the responsibility for that driveway, right? My last neighbor was the best. We weren't super close with them because we don't do that in Seattle, but the husband was great. He'd put on his coveralls and be out there every weekend with us and for us. One neighbor is quite old and we'd work together to keep his blackberries in check and the driveway clear and patched. My current neighbors are happy to pick the berries, but when it's time to dive in there and get bloody with the pruning *crickets*.

I got upset about it at first, but they have their own stuff, just like I have mine. Sometimes the driveway looks better than other times and I have to be okay with that. The neighbor did bring us a huge box of asian pears from their trees, so I guess they aren't all bad. :) Now they have just sold their house and we spin the new neighbor roulette wheel again. Who knows what we'll get this time, but I plan to be nice, smile, say hello, and welcome them to help with the driveway if they can, or accept it if they can't.

I don't know, somehow the older I get the easier it is to see how much precious energy I waste getting upset about something beyond my control. Good neighbors, bad ones, people who let you go first at the stop sign and people who would T-bone you in the intersection to "be first". Whatever. I've got too many other things to worry about.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.