1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA and travel vouchers fyi

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure most of you knew this but I didn't. I purchased flights using two travel vouchers we had, plus cash. We had to cancel the flights. The travel vouchers don't get refunded to your account, instead they are now part of the ticket credit and have the ticket expiration date now as opposed to the original voucher date.

The vouchers were good until Sept 2014, but the ticket credit is only good until June 2014, so we lost 3 months, but I know we'll use it before then.

Not a big deal, but I didn't know that's how it worked, so I was just passing it along.

btw, the vouchers were issued for a delayed flight, but only after I called and complained about it.

EDIT: SWA vouchers can be used by anybody, not just the person they were issued to.

2. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info., never know when you are going to need it.

3. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im missing something. I thought when you had canceled a flight, you have one year to use up that credit? Did that change?

4. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, it didn't change. BUT, if you use funds from a previous flight, even just $5, mixed with another flight credit, the entire amount now takes on the soonest expiration date. I am assuming the vouchers Joe had were good for 2 years.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct about mixing the funds and I didn't understand before this happened.
    As far as the vouchers...I just assumed they were for 1 year and I didn't check the expiration date. Maybe I lost 15 months instead of 3? Doesn't matter though, as soon as SWA opens up the next window, we'll be booking Vegas for mid-April and we'll use up the credit. On the phone I was told the target date for that opening is Oct 8th.

6. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't understand it either, until I did some reading up on it a couple years ago. Luckily it has never bitten me. Would suck to use a $2.50 or $5.00 fund, only to realize it reduces your larger fund to a matter of weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.