1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cost of long distance call at mgm grand

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Chrisnewton, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all

Does anyone know how much it costs to phone the uk from the phone in your room in the mgm.?

Alternatively can anyone recommend a decent phone card we could buy to phone the uk with?

Thanks all

Chris

2. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MGM Phone Charge

Hi,

I would think using the hotel phone to call the UK would be really expensive.

Why not get a pre paid cell phone and buy an international card for it.

Wal-Mart has that option with Trac phone and I think many other carriers do as well. That would save you a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

K-9treatbaker

3. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have a laptop or smartphone you can make use of Wi-Fi and a VoIP program or app to make calls for much cheaper or even free depending on how tech savvy you and the receiving party are.

4. anton73

anton73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just use wifi and Skype when I am out of the country.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do NOT use the hotel. It will be almost illegal the rates they charge. You can get a phone card in any of the drugstores along the strip.

6. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just for grins, I just called the MGM Grand Concierge desk and his immediate response was NOOOO, you don't want to call direct from room and he didn't even know what the rates were just that they were crazy high. He basically suggested everything already listed here. He thought using a phone card was probably best and easiest as calling 800 #s from room was free.

7. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can imagine even just calling from your own personal cell phone would be worth the convenience alone. I would never make a call from a hotel phone..

8. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A call from my hotel in Seattle to Australia last week was $180.00 for 20 minutes if that gives you any idea of how out of touch hotel calls are. I would never use a hotel phone to even call domestic long distance. Normally the hotel does not set the rate, the provider does. They are the ones to blame, so if you do use the phone and have a huge charge, please don't yell at the clerk. I personally think all long distance calls in a hotel should first go through the front desk, so that they can warn you.

9. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you not text instead? You can use your normal phone for that. Just ensure you switch the roaming off. I think mine is 25p per text. Some are for receiving and sending, some just for sending and receiving is free. You could buy a cheap pay and go and text with a request for them to phone you back in the room at a set time. A lot of UK landline providers now include free calls to the US on some packages. Do not use the room phone to make UK calls unless it's an emergency and then cost doesn't even matter.

Also a tip for other UK travellers. Get your mobile provider to switch voicemail off for the duration of your trip. Even if roaming is switched off voicemail remains on and if someone is trying hard to get hold of you and leaving messages you will pay for each one, whether or not you actually retrieve them. I assume that's the same with all providers but not too sure.

Corinne

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were at a hotel in Boston recently and I looked at the rates for DOMESTIC long distance it was like $25 for the first minute and $10 a minute after that or something insane.

To the UK person - along with all the above options, double check with your cell carrier to see what they charge. It might not be too bad.

11. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks but I'm hearing the Wifi is not that good in the mgm so will buy card on the strip I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.