1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Picked a bad week for Downtown

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by VPDana, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    In early May I grabbed a couple of cheap round trip airfares from SWA for our October trip. I just randomly picked the dates. We're both retired, so we can go just about whenever. I didn't call Main Street Station about a room until yesterday. WELL ~ it is sold out for 4 of our 6 nights we will be there, as is the California and Fremont. Grrrr! The reason: Football. U of Honolulu vs UNLV on the 12th. Since the California & MSS draw a lot of Hawaiian visitors, they weren full. We had to move our trip up a week. That is okay, except our airfare is $120 more than I originally paid. Phooey! I'd rather feed that $120 into a VP machine. Okay, I'm finished whining.

2. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aw crap! I have a girls trip planned October 12-17 and was going to stay downtown at MSS. I am going to have to reevaluate now.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

3. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try The Plaza. Rooms are nicer!

4. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree rooms are pretty nice at plaza

5. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think about the Plaza. We have already rescheduled our trip for October 2-8, staying at MSS with all 6 nights comped. Apparently, the sold out nights at the downtown Boyd Props are October 10-11-12-13.

Good luck with rescheduling, da1chifan.

6. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    University of Hawaii football (UH) is a big deal to us Hawaiians as we have no professional teams - Baseball, Football, Basketball, etc... So just about everyone lives the pro dreams through the UH athletics system.

There are tons of people who buy season passes and if the team is having a winning season, attendance is easily 30k/40k each game.

I'm sure a lot of rooms have been blocked off by Boyd to be reserved for Bconnected Emerald members who have been invited for the game, those 4 nights and the other festivities offered as comp. I know of quite of few people who are going to Vegas just so they can do the two things they enjoy - gambling and supporting UH football.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I'm one of those. Got the offer in the mail on Thursday and moved our Oct dates. Offer includes 2 tickets to the game, transportation to and from. Some kind of pre-game tailgate party with food and drinks and four nights free. We always get our rooms free, but college football in Oct, what could be better! Well a Royal, but that's obvious.:poke:

It is so different going to a game at Sam Boyd- they sell BEER!!:beer: Our conference of choice, The Big Ten, that is forbidden at any venue:nono:

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep hearing rumors the NFL is going to discontinue the Pro Bowl soon as well. That will hurt tourism in Hawaii a bit, plus take the one pro game away. The NFL should really schedule a game or two there every year like they are doing in London now.

9. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swear it's a conspiracy LOL and I WORK for an airline.

It never seems to fail if the dates you are flying are cheap, your hotel will be more expensive. If your flight dates are expensive the rooms are cheap.

10. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We here in LA also have no Professional teams.....LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.