1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hello from Yellowknife!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Maqaiti, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maqaiti

Maqaiti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello all, and many thanks for all of the great posts and info on here! I'll never get back all the hours I spend reading on here, but its all worthwhile. After spending New Years at Mandalay I'm on my way back again July 18 for a few comped nights at Bellagio with a buddy, our first "Guy's Trip" to Sin City and we can't wait. Our first time there was for his wedding nearly 7 years ago and we've both been back several times since. I should be able to make it more often now that I've moved to Yellowknife from an extremely isolated, fly-in only community in the arctic on the coast of Hudson Bay, as it is far cheaper to fly from here, $750 vs $2000+!

2. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Interesting hearing from someone so far away. Welcome.

3. Kagedawg

Kagedawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome!

4. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hullo and welcome. And here I thought visiting Edmonton was considered North!

5. Kagedawg

Kagedawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seem to recall another member from NWT or Nunavut as well.

6. eloisegirl

eloisegirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome! The farthest north I have been is Moosonee, and that's only on James Bay. My mind reels at the difference of northern wilderness versus the lights of Vegas - a complete 180! Hope you and your bud have a great time!

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow!!! Your travel here takes some dedication!!! I'm impressed!!! Welcome!!!

8. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board Maqaiti! Congratulations on your move south to Yellowknife.

About 20 years ago, my husband had a conference in Yellowknife and I was lucky enough to tag along. We flew in from Edmonton on what looked to be a normal aircraft. Upon boarding, we saw that there were 3 rows of 3 seats down each side of the plane and a tarp blocked off the rest of the plane. Of course I had to peek and saw the rest of the plane was filled to the brim with cargo. I had my doubts whether we'd even get off the ground. Since there were only about 6 of us on the flight, we each got our own row.

We spent a week in Yellowknife exploring numerous art galleries, shopping for mukluks in Old Town and enjoying the most spectacular northern lights display I have ever seen. The lights of Vegas can't compare to the show that goes on in the skies up there! The skies were literally dancing with movement and colour. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to visit.

Have a great time in Vegas. I'm sure you'll enjoy those cheaper flights. $2000- OUCH!!

9. Maqaiti

Maqaiti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all! And Gambler, we have 24 hour daylight right now. Maybe missing the Northern Lights is what spurred my July trip to fruition!

10. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome! Last time I was in YK I walked into a Resto/bar that looked like some sort of log construct from the outside. The door, however, was something like 5'10 in height. I go in the place, and think I'd better watch my head coming out. Well, too many beers later, and not enough of an excellent Arctic Char chowder, I ring my bell leaving the place.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm in the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa with my kid, and darned if they didn't have a replica of that place in the museum, and double darned if it wasn't exact enough that I hit my head again on the way out after telling her about it. Here's hoping they fixed the door, or at a minimum, saved the chowder recipe.

11. Maqaiti

Maqaiti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hahahahaha. That must have been the Wildcat Cafe. Just reopened yesterday!

12. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That makes a lot of sense actually.

Lucky you MoneyToBurn! At least you got to taste the excellent Arctic Char chowder. We went all that way and the place was so busy, we couldn't get a seat.

Good to hear it finally reopened.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  13. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board.

later, GVJ

14. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Maqaiti, I was just watching the news and they said Yellowknife was 31 Celsius/88 Fahrenheit today. (For non Canucks, that's not a weather story in Canada, that kinda stuff makes the news.) Just out of curiosity I checked Vegas weather. Same temp. That doesn't happen very often over the space of 2000 miles.

Seems like a good omen for ya!

15. Maqaiti

Maqaiti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a great omen! After a very cold winter it's like I'm in training for Vegas now with the heat up here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.