1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tell me about the Golden Nugget Buffet

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Sue24, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue24

Sue24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ACG has a 2/1 for lunch. I see lunch runs to 3:30.

Is it a buffet where you can take advantage of the dinner items as well if you time it right?

Any opinions about this buffet?

2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried it when I did a long weekend in May. It was included in my ticket to see Gordi Brown. I was very disappointed with the selection and quality of the food. I thought the facility was elegant but fancy foreign names on poor food doesn't cut it for me. I was thankful that it was a free buffet and would have hated to pay regular price. I don't think it was even near the quality of the buffet you will get at the Gold Coast at about double the price.

Now keep in mind, quality, taste and value are subjective and just after I posted my thoughts on the buffet, several people posted that they enjoyed the buffet very much. I like a good salad and then I nibble on entrees and it was not my cup of tea......and I was ok with the Sahara and circus Circus buffets.

I seem to be in the minority so go enjoy, the atmosphere is bright, cherry and elegant. Let us know your thoughts. I much prefer Fremont's buffet or Main street Station......much better quality, selection and less expensive.

Jimbo338

3. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always liked it, but this past trip it came out ahead of just about every buffet downtown, and although a bit more expensive, better than other mid ranged buffets off strip or on Boulder.

Part of the reason for that is that it meets the standards of my new diet.

I could make some fine smoked salmon, capers, onions, tomatoes, and sometimes horseradish (see it with suchi). This is one of my favorite foods, so I love finding it there. One issue. In the morning before the suchi comes out I can't find the horseradish. I've asked a number of times, but they won't get it out then. I'm thinking I'll pack a small jar of creamy horseradish on my next trip and bring it in with me as the regular ground stuff is really too strong anyway. Normally that dish is served with creamy horseradish. Everything else was just grand.

There were plenty of good vegetables, including some fine grilled zucchini. And the fruits went well beyond the usual hard and tasteless melon. There were many choices. There were piles of apples and bananas for the taking. The pink grape fruit slices were delicious. A few prunes with just a small dab of yogurt was good as well.
    Salads were creative and different from the standard greens and additives although standard fixings were available for a standard salad.
    Coffee served in a carafe right at the table is great and a seat overlooking the pool in the morning had a good feel to it. All but one of the servers was attentive and very personable. Only one brain dead zombie getting drink orders wrong, twice.

One tip is that although the escalator opens at 7AM if you take the stairs up, you can get seated a bit earlier or at least find a good spot in line or use the nice bathrooms right outside the buffet. I waited for the escalator and found quite a few new to take the stairs.

I usually get a $10 discount because I play live poker there at the Golden Nugget and 4 hours of play gets a voucher dated on the day of play (officially, although generally it has been the practice to allow date a day ahead if asked. Just don't ask John. If they tell you no, come back after the shift changes and ask again.) That brings the costs of most breakfasts down to a dollar. That voucher also acts as a line pass, so I can use it when the lines are long and go in VIP.
    My new diet eliminated Main Street Station from my buffet choices although that used to be my favorite downtown. They really have few interesting veggies and fruit dishes at MSS and I now expect to eat many of my meals at the Golden Nugget.

4. huff1988

huff1988 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food is good and if you get a table overlooking the pool you have a great view.

5. 1BETSY1

1BETSY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless its changed for the better in the last year, it is not good!

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Only time I tried it was two years ago on a twofer. Went at 3:00, paid lunch price and ate dinner items after 3:30.
    Biggest dissapointment was lack of prime rib at night. This ain't the 1970s anymore; roast beef doesn't cut it.
    With the 2-1 coupon, it was adequate. However, it pales in comparsion to Strip buffets and most off-Strip buffets.

7. TuneinTokyo

TuneinTokyo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yuck. The End.:wave:

Seriously we stayed there once and got a free lunch. Standing in line a a guy walks out saying only if it's free. We went in and everything was really mediocre and bland at best. Even the salad bar was meager. Not again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.