1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Walking Pneumonia

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BlueSkadoo, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So has anybody here dealt with walking pneumonia? I'm trying to get over a bout of this and getting frustrated with how long recovery is taking. Part of me thinks I'm being a baby and need to suck it up, but the other part of me worries that if I push too hard I'm headed for a relapse.

I went to the doctor about two weeks ago, took some antibiotics and a steroid inhaler. I've done nothing but work and then come home and nap on the couch. Today, for the first time since I got sick, I tried to hit the gym. I made it through a very mild half-hour workout and now my lungs are just on fire. While I was working out, my coughing (which had stopped almost completely) started up. I'm guessing it's too soon for the gym, but I'm going to be in Vegas in six days, gosh darn it! I need to feel better!

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. buttnugget

buttnugget Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a physician, I can tell you that pneumonia is not a quick fix. It's like being hit with a baseball bat, you don't recover quickly (Bruce Willis in Die Hard not withstanding). Do yourself a favor, take it easy for a total of one month. NO GYM!!

In Vegas drink heavily as alcohol kills bacteria!! (no, not really)

4. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, she's been on antibiotics so probably not contagious any more.

5. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got this in early February and landed in the hospital for four days. Was then home for the next two weeks doing not much of anything. For the first week, it was all I could do to walk 100 yards. Slowly it got better, although it took almost 2 months before I felt normal and finally got rid of the cough. I had pneumonia in both my upper and lower left lung. I was asked over and over again at the hospital if I had ever smoked.....NO! I am going to be getting a pneumonia shot next month now that I am finally cured even though I am technically not old enough for it.

One thing my doctor told me was no strenuous exercise, but get out and walk every day so you don't form nodules on your lungs. Hope you get better soon. It was the first major illness I have ever had and I hope to never see the inside of a hospital again!

6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had this in the past and it took about 2 months to completely get over it too. I'd much rather have the flu anyday.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had walking pneumonia about 15 years ago. I spent a week off from work and I would wake up, eat, drink coffee, and go back to sleep. It took me months to get my strength back and I was cold the whole winter. It was the weakest I ever felt. A friend of mine ignored how bad he felt and ended up taking 6 months off from work. He had pneumonia and made it worse by ignoring it.

Don't go to Vegas if you have pneumonia of any kind. Vegas will be there in the future.

8. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh johnvic.....I have to go! I'm going with my mom who will watch me like a hawk and have no problem dragging me to a minute clinic if I cough once. I did get a really long lecture last night though when I told mom I tried to go to the gym! It's Mother's Day so I just said "Yes Ma'am", "you're right" and "I know" at the appropriate times.

My doctor allowed me to keep working (I did take off 2 days when I had a fever) this entire time, so I think I must be in the pretty mild category. Sometimes I can just be a baby when I'm sick!

9. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope you'll be feeling much better in time for your trip. Definitely don't overdo it.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had it twice and worked through it once. It's just a long, butt dragging recovery. Supplements, good nutrition, liquor, sleep, steam all help. But, it just takes time. You have to be kind and gentle to yourself through it. I would say go to Vegas if you're over the worst part and off antibiotics. But, make it an easy going, relaxing and relaxed trip. Visit the spa for the steam. Take naps. You can't do Vegas the way you would normally do Vegas or you will land yourself back in the ER and your recovery will really drag. You were sick a few months ago too right? I think you're kind of run down right now, which is how you ended up with pneumonia. I'd say you can go but take it easy.

11. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry you aren't recovered for your trip! Please take it very easy in Las Vegas - get plenty of rest, drink plenty of nonalcoholic drinks, and eat regular (not sporadic) meals. Remember your body needs to quality nutrition and hydration in order to recover. This is not the trip for hard partying and skipping meals.

12. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Kelly and everybody else! I promise I will take it easy, it won't be a party trip as it is, since I'm taking mom. I'm not going to try the gym again either, and try to just take it easy this week, in hoping that will aid the recovery. I finished my antibiotics over a week ago, so I'm just ready to feel better!!!

13. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best of luck and health BluSkadoo! Don't be afraid to nap, lol.

14. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had it several years ago and I was out of work for about 6 weeks. I just could not recover. When I finally went back to work, a couple of colleges told me that my hair ( i am blonde), skin and lips should not all be the same color.....so I looked pretty bad even resting for 6 weeks.

15. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ... be careful or it will turn into the boogie-woogie-flu!

:poke:

The only thing I worry about for you is an opportunistic infection - be vigilant about washing your hand and NOT touching your eyes or nose!

Have a great trip, Remember -Zoozacrakers has great chicken soup & give into the urge to nap if it comes!

When we Were Young
  16. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Napping by the pool counts, right? :evillaugh

17. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Without reading any previous replies --
    Don't push it !
    forget the gym for a while.
    You are lucky you were diagnosed for the pneumonia.
    I hear DEEP coughs on my commuter train +
    I run to another train car !
    I mention it to the conductor, in passing, --
    "hey, listen to THAT cough....that deep cough is pneumonia !"
    Conductor said to me "You think that's all that's wrong w/ him ?"
    :evillaugh
    It takes a long time......don't push it....you don't want to
    pass it on to everyone else on the plane !:ssst:
    VEGAS !:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.