1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

taxi long haul

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by nicholas, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicholas

nicholas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is considered "long hauling" in a taxi from the airport? Which is the quickest way to get to the Wynn from the airport, through town or the highway?
    Thanks, :peace:

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may want to scroll down and read some of the few hundred postings about this.

Long Hauling is generally taking the longer tunnel route vs local roads.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Wynn, take Swenson to Paradise."

4. LuckyDuckyDan

LuckyDuckyDan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, the cabbies try to sell going through the I-15 tunnel as a quicker routing. The time savings don't exist and it's just a longer routing, yielding the cabbie a larger fare (and tip)

So...

"Wynn, take Swenson to Paradise, PLEASE."

No reason not to be polite. :)

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, courtesy can't hurt.

What I think is important is that you appear, to the driver, confident and assertive. The message "take Swenson to Paradise", with or without "please", :) sends two messages.

First, that you know the correct route and you're not just some rube tourista fresh in from West Cornholdt, ready to be taken for a ride, figuratively and literally.

Second, it lets him (or her, but it seems like it's very seldom a "her" driving a taxi in LV) know that you are the one in charge and the one calling the shots.

Remember that you are the customer, and the driver is the vendor. He (or she) answers to you, not vice-versa. :) (Remember to keep that in mind the next time you're in a new car showroom too!) :) :)

As an aside, when I take a taxi solo from the airport to a hotel and utter such a phrase, quite often times the next words out of the driver's mouth are "uh, you from around here?" or "I guess you come here often?" and such. I never remember having a bad experience with a taxi in Las Vegas. Worst I can remember is a driver yapping on the cell phone for most of the trip.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the best answer to questions like" "First time in Vegas?" is for sure not YES!

Easy to fake it.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.