1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Chinese buffet in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by mamamk, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mamamk

mamamk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This board is so fun. It's so great to have a place to get answers!

My husband wants to find the best Chinese buffet in Vegas. Extra points if it's on or near the Strip b/c we probably won't have a car, but any suggestions are appreciated!

2. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm Chinese, from the Asian parts of Southern California, and have eaten at untold numbers of Asian buffets, so I feel that nobody is better qualified to answer your post than me.

Unfortunately, there is rarely such a thing as a good Asian buffet. I always think there must be some centralized Asian buffet food supplier (like Sysco) because all the food tastes the same at almost every Asian buffet. If your goal is to try many tasty authentic Asian dishes at a good price, an Asian buffet is not the place for you!

Asian buffets have a reputation for being cheap, greasy, poor quality, and cater to mainly non-Asians. If you're ever in Southern California, the Zen Buffet chain would be the exception. They do a very decent Asian buffet at a very fair price.

Around here, you're better off going to an AYCE sushi place (I'd recommend Sushi House Goyemon) or Makino Restaurant, which is an Asian seafood-centric buffet with locations in Vegas and Irvine, CA.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/makino-restaurant-las-vegas
    I wouldn't waste part of my vacation going to any other Asian buffet.

I realy think your time would be better spent just going to the buffet at Caesars, Wynn, or maybe try out the remodeled Aria buffet when it opens.

3. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I'm not chinese, but can relate to what ah6tyfour shares. Indeed, chinese buffets are cheap, greasy, poor quality, and cater to mainly non-Asians. Plus, they are overly sweet and salty.
    I poked around a bit, but have yet to find one in the greater Vegas area that doesn't meet the above criteria.

The best ones I found were Blue Wave (now closed) and a homemade Phillipino lunch buffet whose name escapes me. Makino (on Decatur and about three miles from center Strip) would be somewhat comparable to the Blue Wave.
    You could head a couple miles west of the Strip to Chinatown on Spring Mountain Rd, but that is mainly sit-down fare. However, among the myriad offering of restaurants there, you would be sure to find some kind of authentic chow.

Otherwise, stick with the higher end Vegas buffets

4. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't vouch for it personally, but I've heard the new Caesars buffet has some decent Chinese offerings, including dim sum, peking duck, and ginseng chicken soup.

Don't know where to go if you're interested in more Americanized stuff.

5. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a chinese buffet that is located 1 block behind the Orleans in the same parking lot as Walgreens. I ate there last summer and would rate it better than the Orleans buffet. Sorry I don't remember the name of it

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.