1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jean-Georges

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Bo333, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never hear anyone mention Jean-Georges Steakhouse (Aria).
    Anybody have any opinions?

2. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ate there once in January - frankly, wasn't impressed - which was a shame, because I'm a big fan & longtime customer at J-GV's NYC restaurants - so I went in with high expectations, but felt it was a prime example of a "celebrity chef" place where they're trading on the name and really just phoning it in. I can probably think of at least a half-dozen other steakhouses in Vegas that I'd go to before I'd go back to Jean-Georges again. I posted a full review in the "restaurants" section on here back in late Jan or early Feb if you feel like finding & reading it.

3. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I have 1 night alone so I thought I'd try something new. Sorry to hear it was a disappointment.

4. voltron12

voltron12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its good, but not great. Or at least not worth the price. You can get a better steak for about 10.00 cheaper at most steak houses in vegas. Japonis at mirage was much better. I even though kokomos at mirage was better. And you can do their price fixe menu where you can get a steak, appetizer and desert for 49.99. Where Jean George will run you about 48 for just the steak.

5. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur with Jilly. More of a name sake restaurant. Good, not great. Also, very very dark in there. I could barely see my food.

6. daywalker

daywalker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with others. When it first opened and into the middle of last year I was big fan of the place. Since the middle of last year the prices have rocketed and the quality has been less than impressive, I've had to send back my NY Strip too many times and last time (July 2012) I decided was the last time I will visit.

7. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I like the place. No, its not Prime, but I've enjoyed my meals there. Probabaly been 8-9 times. If your solo, I highly reccomend eating at the bar. Staff is friendly and its a good atmosphere. Try the aged NY Strip and trouffle mashed and start with the blue chees salad, ask them to chop it for you. I promise you will enjoy!

8. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to Prime, thought it was overrated.
    I usually go to Craftsteak, Gallaghers, Tenders, Charlie Palmer, Brand and a few others.
    I find Gallaghers to be highly UNDERrated. I always have a great meal there.
    I may or may not try Jean-Georges with all the feedback. Guess I'll see how I feel when I get there.

Thanks for the feedback though!

9. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our experiences at Jean Georges have ranged from okay to good, but it is no Charlie Palmer Steak. If you enjoy Charlie Palmer, perhaps you would enjoy Carnevino or Delmonico.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  10. daywalker

daywalker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like Craftsteak (I love it) I don't think you'll be too impressed with JG these days.

11. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have avoided this restaurant for the last couple years based on reviews.
    Last week I tried it for the first time and we were pleasantly surprised.
    Group of 4 and everyone rated it very good to excellent.
    Appetizers and entrees were all prepared perfectly and the service was excellent.

12. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to the same places. I wasn't impressed with Brand. Gallaghers I loved the food but didn't really like the room -- might just be where we sat.

13. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went last year on Christmas. It was good. I just felt it was too expensive. The whole time all I could think is that my tiny filet mignon was $60 without any sides. Then I remember we got this little side of mushrooms... I do know my Dad really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is cool, it's really dark in there, and I love being in Aria. But I think for a $300 steak dinner, you can find something better.

I'm pretty sure we will go back if we can get the prix fix type deal. To be honest. I LOVE being in Aria, but I feel like every restaurant in Aria is expensive for the sake of being expensive. The only meal I thoroughly enjoyed was at Julian Serrano.

14. daywalker

daywalker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do one of these (or maybe two if you include the early bird). It's still poor value for money though!

15. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

I really like Jean-Georges. They have the one of the best short rib dishes in the city, if not the best. In the past year, I've ate there twice and both times it has exceeded my expectations. It's pricey, but prix-fixe menus and resort credits have softened the blow.

I actually like it better than Prime. I think it's head and shoulders above Craftsteak and Charlie Palmer.

Photos from our visit last month

French onion soup

[​IMG]

Tuna appetizer

[​IMG]

whole snapper

[​IMG]

Short rib

[​IMG]

delicious sides: truffle mashed and creamed corn with jalapeno

[​IMG]

16. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah is it? Ah well still plenty of steak places to try out!

17. daywalker

daywalker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO yes but it is just that, my opinion. I think you need to try places for yourself as it's the only way you'll know for sure.

I used to love JG but quality is down, portions are down, prices are up an dI'm finished with them.

Back to Craftsteak for me. I actually preferred Beso to JG in the end but Beso has gone now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.