1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Graduation Surprises at Dinner

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by MangoPort, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is half 'vegas-misc' and half 'general misc'. I'm having a big dinner at the Wynn for about 22 people on Saturday, July 7th.

Four of the people at the dinner have just graduated, including two of my younger, twin brothers (one is a now a doctor, the other is now a lawyer.... err - resident and articling student I guess).

The other two (cousins) have somewhat generic college degrees. I'm looking for ideas of what to do during the dinner to honor them. A congratulations cake was my first thought but I'm wondering if there's not something else that might be better. I mentioned the degrees only because I was wondering if there aren't themed ideas that might work as well.

Budget isn't really an issue but we're not getting them cars or watches:poke:. Any ideas on what we might have restaurant do?

2. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you looking for gift ideas for the grads?

Here's a suggestion for the twins:
    professional bag. Both of them will still be schlepping stuff but might want to look professional without looking old & stuffy. I bought that bag when I went back to school, it's very nice - a more modern briefcase. It's wearing well too.

For your cousins you might look at a nice laptop case or depending on their gender a handbag.

Your theme could be leather for sheepskins in Vegas.

When we Were Young
  3. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gift ideas are definitely welcome, but I was also thinking of things that could be done. A cake, or perhaps getting custom menus that say 'congrats' or something.

4. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never requested things like this, but I always heard it was possible. What about asking the chef if they could prepare 4 unique little appetizers/deserts/whatever for them? Doctor and lawyer they should be able to come up with something, but you may have to give some ideas on the other 2(hobbies maybe).

You didn't mention the restaurant so I don't know if all do special requests. You are getting dinner for 22 though, seems like a reasonable request.

5. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it is Vegas so it seems to me it should be over the top, whatever it is. How about an appearance by Elvis or some such entertainer.
    http://www.lvtalentagency.com/gregmiller.html

You would have to work something out with restaurant but I would hope they would be accommodating. Surely, this happened before!

6. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh I see what you are saying...

We had a surprise party for my daughter's 18th b'day at a local restaurant - they printed up a special limited menu for the guests, everyone signed my daughters menu as a keepsake. I made her cakes - she was headed off to college in 2 days after the party and is a college softball player so each guest had their own individual softball cupcake.

You could have a printer make menus on paper that will look like a diploma for your guests and instead of the categories for courses you could put different levels of degrees - like instead of Appetizers it could say Choose your Associates Degree... Main Course can be Bachelors ETC.
    For the cake you might want to talk to a local bakery Freeds Graduation cakes See that first one with the Anatomy book? I bet they could do 4 small cakes with books suited to each graduates degree. Or do one of those stacked book cakes.

HTH

When we Were Young
  7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously, you bought a bag for $2,970 for school?

8. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, no - I buy & sell authentic designer goods on eBay as a hobby, mostly Louis Vuitton. Ebay is full of counterfeits - you have to know what you are doing if you want authentic merchandise.
    I got that same bag from a seller who might have used it once & I will resell it for nearly double what I paid for it in a few months.

The few bags I have bought new I have also resold for more than I paid for them, so my LV's have been a good investment.

When we Were Young
  9. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife actually does this. It started with her wanting a discounted Chanel purse, and then she finally bought one for a 70% markdown that she was SURE was authentic (she spends hours doing research and on various message boards). But then when she bought it she decided it would be easy for her to simply re-sell it at a higher price. So she did.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.