1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Taking Cab from Airport To TI how do I get near there cheap?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jenious, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenious

jenious Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm looking for advice as to what to tell the cab to 1. Not get long hauled and 2. Where to go that would be the cheapest as I don't mind walking.

I figure If I can give him a specific route and drop off location that will avoid me getting a huge fair for what I think should be around a 15 dollar ride.

I don't mind getting dropped of somewhere easy to avoid extra fare as we have no bags and do not mind walking so the easiest a to b trip that would be reasonable would be a great help.

2. TURKEY

TURKEY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simply tell the cab driver you want to go to the TI via Paradise Road, not the freeway.

For the record, the large majority of cabbies do not longhaul their customers here in Vegas, that's simply a fallacy.

3. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about that - this article (less than a month old) in the Las Vegas Review Journal puts the number at between 30% and 70%:

http://www.lvrj.com/business/going-the-long-way-costly-cab-trips-grow-into-epidemic-148421785.html

That's quite a lot - definitely cause to make sure your cab driver know in no uncertain terms you don't want to get screwed over.

4. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience if you don't give specific directions a large percent will tunnel you.

5. jenious

jenious Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thanks for the info!

6. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know they would always ask me before when I didnt have a clue. They did get me one time for 40$ from IP. Never again as I researched paradise road. They got my buddy this trip. I bet it happens alot.

Sometimes I wonder what if I did get long hauled and refuse to pay on. I think i will have to do this next time lol. Play it up like its my first time in vegas and if they automatically take the tunnel then i just got a free ride.

For those that dont know, "long hauling" is illegal and the drivers will get tickets.

7. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    User, I would not want to fight with them, after they long hauled me.

8. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    why? Say it happened to your wife and you forgot to mention it to her. You are waiting for her at the taxi dropoff. Driver shows you 42$ on his meter. You pay?

9. erzeszut

erzeszut Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't have to pay. Most of the drivers won't fight you on this -- a threat to call the taxicab authority and they'll let you go for free. But even if you do call the authority, when they show up and see a $25 or $30 fare to the Strip, you won't have to pay it.

It helps if you program the Taxicab Authority # into your phone (it's posted on signs at the loading area at the airport.)

I didn't get a free ride a couple of weeks ago, when my cabbie long hauled me from the airport to the Mirage. But I know that a standard fare to the Mirage should be $14-16. So I offered him a deal -- I'd give him a flat $20 (which is what I was prepared to pay anyway), regardless of what the meter said when we arrived. If he didn't like that, we'd call the Authority.

He accepted my offer. :) Could I have pushed it, and gotten the ride for $10 or even free? Probably. But as I said, I was prepared to pay $20.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    got long hauled once. As we reached hotel, I told the driver I was called the tax authority to settle the issue.

He was happy to take $10 instead.

Easy deal.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.