1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Almost there!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by 39forevr, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I cannot believe I am not packed yet but I am ready to go!!!!!!!
    My daughter is very excited about going... she has never flown, never been to Vegas, all I know is that she will have the time of her life. I need some ideas to keep her from panicking on the flight, other than a drink or 2 or 3. She is grown but she has never wanted to fly and she tried a boat before but wont do that again either (got sea sick) HELP!!!!!!! need ideas.

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bring distractions. I don't understand a true fear of flying, since I love to fly--I'd probably take a valium or have a few drinks if I were really scared. But if she's just nervouse, bring things like travel-size games, crossword puzzles, books and/or magazines, VP simulator to "practice" for Vegas, portable DVD player or cd player--once the plane is in the air, of course. Don't want to break any FAA rules.... Some people are more relaxed when they can look out the window, while it makes some people freak out more--you'll just have to see which it is for your daughter once you're there. I can't think she'd get motion sickness flying like you would in a boat, unless you happen to have a truly miserable flight. Even when you do hit turbulence, pilots are usually able to ascend or descend to get out of the "bad air". But, worst case scenarios--there's a barf bag in the back of every seat. Good luck!

3. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She can always try taking a pill to fend off motion sickness. It's likely to make her sleepy for a couple of hours, which also might combat the nervousness when flying. Definitely bring reading material so she can be excited about what she'll be seeing soon - I usually pack a couple of guidebooks in the carryon that will be under the seat in front of me.

Don't worry about not packing yet - I'll be there two days before you and haven't packed either! Have a great trip! [​IMG]

4. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why do people worry about flying? I only worry about crashing!

5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don--that's why it's sort of hard for me to figure out what to tell people--I just love to fly (my dad, my husband, and my father-in-law are all private pilots so I've spent a lot of time in little planes--big planes are nothing when you're used to the little planes) But hey--there have been many good suggestions posted in the past on this topic as well, as many people must conquer the fear of flying to support their Vegas addiction...

6. joanna

joanna Tourist

I don't mind flying at all, but I do get fidgetty after a while. I agree with Hoya's suggestion of a portable DVD player. I used one last week on our trip to Vegas from Baltimore (4 1/2-5 hour flight). I bought two new DVDs to watch and had two sets of headphones so my fiance and I could share. I've never had such a great flight. Try bringing some Vegas themed movies like Ocean's 11 or Honeymoon in Vegas - can help you get even more excited than you already are!!

7. -KorkedBatz-

-KorkedBatz- Tourist

I think Hoya rights....a valium and a few drinks should do it for her...lol

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a tradition now to watch Vegas Vacation on the ride out each Vegas trip now. Not sure how much the REST of the craps table enjoys us saying "Hard six, coming out" every roll, but it cracks us up!!

9. 39forevr

39forevr Guest

Thanks for all of the suggestions. will see if her dr. will give her some valium before we leave. I dont know about mixing valium with alcohol that might make me miserable wondering if she is okay.

10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, mixing valium and alcohol is a no-no--pick one!!

11. cruiser

cruiser High-Roller

I've never taken valium so I would stick to bailey's on the rocks. Several of those on the flight over and she should be fine.

12. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a nervous flyer, I second the crosswords, or something similarly engrossing. Also prefer window shade down, but there's some F***'n FAA rule that prevents that - have had the waitress-in-the-sky tell me to put it up more than once. Can't imagine what that might affect. Don't use valium but the other stuff in quantity works wonders.

Also, remember the gum for the pressure change (which I had forgotten about, until my son's first flight :rolleyes: ).

13. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gum can help a lot for the pressure change, but my sinuses are badly screwed up, and flying bothers them a LOT (although it doesn't stop me). I've found three other things that help if flying turns out to be painful for her eardrums.

1. Earplanes - they look like earplugs but work to equalize the pressure in the ears on landing. They're sold in pharmacies usually near the ear plug and ear wax removal area, and sometimes you can find them in the airport stores as well
    2. decongestant taken about an hour before landing
    3. this sounds so voodoo, but it truly helped! When we were in Hawaii, both my husband & I had our ears candled to bring out excess wax. Since then, I've had no trouble flying, and haven't even had to resort to methods 1 or 2. Now I'm trying to find someone around home who does it. For those who don't know (and before last March, we were both in that category) - ear candles are hollow devices, made out of a parchment paper or something similar I believe, and they stick the narrow end into your ear and light the other end on fire (I told you it sounded voodoo). As it burns, it brings out the wax from the ear canal. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it. It doesn't hurt at all, although sounds very funny from inside your head and there's a slight smoky smell in your sinuses.

14. misterKeno

misterKeno Guest

Only 2 things bother me on a flight...

1) when you take off, i think its when you're about 30 to 40 feet off the ground, for a split second, you feel (well i do), like your head weighs about 700 lbs. Then--back to normal a second later. Does that make sense?

2) sitting still for more than 2 hrs... i used to go up to the front of the plane & stand between the gally (sp?) & the door & the restroom. You're out of the way of the drink cart & you can stand & stretch. Now, you'll get hollered at--FAA stuff.

Anyways--enough of my rambling. What i'd suggest for your daughter is reading. That's it.

mK

15. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doc--as far as I was aware, that shade only has to be up for take-off and landing (and during movies, they prefer it--but that's not an FAA rule) The reason I heard for the take-off and landing rule was that if there were a crash, rescuers on the outside need to be able to look in.

16. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the event of a crash, I'm guessing there's going to be a big-ole "window" into the plane to look through - but isn't that a comforting thought anyway, thank you FAA.

mK, the getting up and walking around thing is a good idea. Not healthy to be cramped in one position that long. I suppose walking back to use the lav is an alternative, but I prefer to avoid that adventure where possible.

17. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Al--crash doesn't necessarily mean you fall from 15,000 feet, you know. Instead of crash, perhaps I should have said "incapacitated aircraft"?

18. misterKeno

misterKeno Guest

Doc Al...

See, if i was on a two hour flight... after about 40 mins into it. I'd get out of my seat & walk up to the door of the plane & just stand there & look out the window or say hello to the attendants----mind you, they dont have time for 'chat' other than 'hello' & a smile. But, i'd stand up there for a good 15 or 20 mins. Of course many times people would say 'oh are you in line for the restroom?', lol. Then i'd say, 'no im just standing'

(((( this was all pre 9/11 )))).

Well, these days--its a bit different.

mK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.