1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pre Trip Report

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by LVRon, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LVRon

LVRon Well-Known Member

My Trip Report

I am posting this more for historical purposes than anything [​IMG]

Back in May, about 3 weeks after we got back from LV, I decided I wanted to go back. So I mentioned it to the wife, knowing she would say no. When she said YES!! I was in a hurry to book the flight before she changed her mind [​IMG]

The next day I noticed that American Airlines had a sale of $198 per person, the cheapest I have seen it in quite a long time. I wasn't happy with the flight times, and I talked myself out of staying 6 nights instead of the 5 that was more reasonable (I don't like paying big $$$ for Fri/Sat) So I booked the flight at $462 total. I was happy as a bird.

As time passed, I was thinking that I should have went with the extra night since this may be our last trip for awhile. But I was locked in to the flight unless I wanted to pay a $100 penalty per ticket. Didn't want to do that at all!

More time passed........

One morning last week I notice in my farewatcher that alot of airlines that fly out of STL was having a huge fare war. I didn't want to check, because I knew I'd be pissed off if I could find a flight that was better than the one I already bought. Sure enough, United had MUCH better flight times and at a amazing rate of $108 per person!!!

Cripes, I had to do something. I did the math and figured that I could pay the penalty and cancel the American tickets and get the United tickets for about the same price.

I called American and told them that I wanted to cancel, they informed me about the $200 penalty and asked me why I wanted to cancel. Now I had heard that if an airlines changes flight times on you, you can cancel. I didn't think my flight times had changed, but really didn't want to pay that $200. So I tell her that I had changed my mind and hung up.

I went to aa.com and checked on my flight, sure enough the times did change! Yipee!!

I call AA again to cancel. She tells me that since the flight time changes fell within their 4 hour window, that I would still face the $200 penalty. RATS! I hang up, pretty much set on keeping my original plans.

I wake up the next day and those $108 tickets are just too good to pass up. I call AA again and tell her I want to cancel, again she asks why. I tell her because the flight times had changed. She says NO PROBLEM and cancels my flight with NO penalty. Yipee again! I hang up.

Not 100% sure it really happened, and before I buy the United tickets, I call AA once again and they assure me that I was to get a FULL refund.

Off I go to United. I plug in the details and the FARES WENT WAY UP! NO - No - No!!!!!!!! Also the dates I wanted were NOT available at any price.

What to do? I then go to Travelocity, plug in the dates and they DO have what I want! Amazing!

So I get my flight at $272 total for 2 people, the only hang up is there is a one hour layover in Denver on both legs of the trip. I've always flown non-stop, so this will be interesting. But the added bonus is we arrive at 10am instead of 7pm and we get a full extra day at the end as well!!!

I also was able to get a rate of $39 per night at the Orleans. I had to call them and get a Friday night added at the rate of $80 - Not bad.

Dollar Car Rental is always my choice, and I was able to get a weekly rate of $112 for a Dodge Stratus - Not bad.

Sooooooo.........

Everything is pretty much set. I will pay attention to see if any good hotel deals come out, but I've heard great things about the Orleans and will more than likely stay there.

The breakdown.......

Leave STL at 7am September 29 and arrive in Las Vegas at 9:45am.

Leave Las Vegas at 3:15pm October 5 and arrive in STL at 8:30pm.

Total cost of air - $272

6 nights at the Orleans (Sunday to Saturday) $302.16

Weekly rent a car - $147

Grand total --- 721.16

All subject to change [​IMG]

2. HurricaneMikey

HurricaneMikey A-List Buffoon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Ron-

You live in St Louis, or somewhere out in the hinterlands? I grew up in St Charles. Live and die with the Redbirds...

Mikey

3. LVRon

LVRon Well-Known Member

Mikey,

My Brother-in-law lives in St. Charles, along highway 94. We live on the Illinois side, about 30 minutes from downtown. I live and die St. Louis sports !

4. MadBiochm

MadBiochm Tourist

As a Denver area resident, may I say that there are a lot worse things than stopping at our eye-catching, super-modern airport! :D

Seriously, though, I hear ya with regard to booking something, then finding out later that you could have gotten it a heckuva lot cheaper if you'd just waited a little longer. I'm always torn between waiting TOO long and getting screwed on fare increases or no-longer-available flights, and booking too early and having to deal with the possibility of paying penalties. Way to go on being able to beat the system!!

5. HurricaneMikey

HurricaneMikey A-List Buffoon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Ron-

Thats where I used to live, off of Hwy 94/Jungs Station. Small world.

Mikey

6. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey MadBiochm, where in Denver? I'm in Aurora!

Ron, our airport really is unusual; look for the large tent in the middle of nowhere as you get ready to land. That's it. :D

7. LVRon

LVRon Well-Known Member

Small world indeed!

I hear that just changing planes (same airline) in Denver is no big deal. I hope so!

8. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should be fine; all of United's gates are on the same concourse.

9. LVRon

LVRon Well-Known Member

If i get hung up there, will you let me stay at your house? ;)

10. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, plenty of room! You ARE bringing your wife, right? [​IMG] I'll invite my boyfriend (also a vegas junkie) and we'll have a party! :cool:

11. LVRon

LVRon Well-Known Member

As Wayne and Garth like to say: Party on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.