1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Airlines: "Introducing Cash + Points" (for combined payment)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by raisingoo, Apr 23, 2024.

1. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was announced a while back that Southwest Airlines is going to allow a combination of cash and Rapid Rewards points as payment for some (maybe all?) flights. It looks like they are finally implementing this as an option for booking flights, but it's not fully implemented yet. The idea is, if you are short some points you can make it up with cash (hopefully just a small additional outlay) or the reverse, being if you want a discount you can pay with whatever points you have accumulated as a way of bringing the cash outlay down. I think it's a great idea.

The below link provides some information.

It appears that right now it's only available via the Southwest App (which I don't have on my phone). I tried this on the website itself and it's not available. Or at least it's not available for my home airport route to LAS.

So, some questions:

1) Has anyone done this (so far) and has had success? Reviews?
    2) Is it fair in the true value of the points you have reedemed?
    3) Is it available for all classes of ticket, including the cheap "Wanna Getaway" fares?
    4) Is the cash component strictly a credit card-- or can you use Southwest gift cards and/or flight credits as a cash equivalent? I ask this only because you CANNOT buy additional RR points with these methods, as it's credit card only. This is important because lots of people either get gift cards or else have flight credits from re-booking flights.

Hopfeully this information will be useful for someone, and maybe with discussion I can get my questions answered. Thanks.

Cash + Points | Rapid Rewards | Southwest Airlines

2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their FAQ appear to cover #2 and #4, although it's possible they use a different method of calculating the value of a point for these bookings vs all-points booking. They kind of have a circular definition (ie. "Q: What is the redemption value?" "A: Depends on the redemption rate." Well duh.) But it may mean that for a given flight, they value the points the same way for either method.

upload_2024-4-24_6-5-34.png

upload_2024-4-24_6-10-49.png

Fare class isn't mentioned anywhere, but the video appears to show the booking of a Wanna Get Away fare, because there is a prompt to upgrade to Wanna Get Away Plus.

upload_2024-4-24_6-18-8.png

3. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked a flight using points. I was 5000 points short and it cost me $72. I thought it was fair.

Yearly trip
    Part two
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. VegasDaytripper

VegasDaytripper Re-Re-Retired Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe SWA recently had a fare sale for booking with POINTS but not for cash price

For that reason I would probably not use the points + cash mixed payment option
    And save the points for when there is a points booking sale

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    May 2024 - Trip #19 - Vdara suite
    • Like Like x 2
  5. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did.

Yearly trip
    Part two
  6. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I decided to go ahead and download the Southwest app on my phone and the CASH + POINTS option was available for my desired flight (it still is not available on southwest.com on a regular PC browser for the same flight!). I was able to book a flight using it. I ended up using 6,400 points to discount my flight by $40.00, so for those curious this ended up being a $0.00625 redemption per point use. (Yep, a point is now a fraction of a penny, at least in this scenario.)

I was able to also provide a gift card balance to further reduce it. I had a SECOND gift card, too, with a very small balance but couldn't use that for the reason that it was too small of a balance and the third payment option must complete the balance due. In so many words, only 3 payment options are available, and the points-for-cash counts as one here.

Hope this information helps someone.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting.

WOW, that seems like a horrible redemption rate.

Just curious - if you look at the same flight when you're not logged in, what is the redemption rate?

8. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, not logged in, strictly using points for that same flight (good experiment):

Flight cost is $148 cash *OR* 10,260 points (plus $5.60 for the gov't fees)

$148 / 10,260 = $0.01442 per point

So, that's close to penny and a half per point.

You are right, my true scenario with points for cash was a horrible redemption rate-- at about half the "regular" redemption rate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. VegasDaytripper

VegasDaytripper Re-Re-Retired Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maximum 3 forms of payment for a fare
    What you can do is book a fare using the 2 separate gift/voucher balances, cancel it for credit and it will be combined into one credit

May 2024 - Trip #19 - Vdara suite
  10. ohcraps

ohcraps Full press - keep the change!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun fact: When you pay via cash and points, you don't get any points.

"No, Cash + Points bookings will not earn Rapid Rewards points, tier qualifying points for A-List or A-List Preferred status, or Companion Pass qualifying points."

But..

"flights paid for with Cash + Points will count toward your qualifying one-way flights for A-List, A-List Preferred, or Companion Pass status when flown."

• Like Like x 1