1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Don’t Like the Motion-Sensor ACs? Request an “OVERRIDE” from Engineering!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by NotFromConcentrate, May 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo749

Jimbo749 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't run across this issue yet. Reminds me of a stay at Hyatt House a few years ago, the general room lighting required a key card to be placed in a little holder to turn on. That was way easier to defeat tho, just asked for a 3rd key card to leave in the slot 24/7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was that a room in Vegas. I’ve heard about that elsewhere but not yet Vegas.

I had used streamers and toilet paper to keep the AC on in CET rooms in the past but I permanently solved the problem by not staying in them.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm positive it was in Vegas. The only room reviews I watch are Vegas. (with the exception of Food And Travel with Danny The Medic) This video had a couple doing the review. I'm going through my history now to see if I can find it.

Overplanning Extreme NYNY, MSS, Sam't Town
    • Like Like x 1
  4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh really? Sounds easier than chasing down a balloon.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. VegasKStateCat

VegasKStateCat High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohh I am learning some tricks! I’m definitely going to have to implement some of these as I can’t stand a hot hotel room.

7. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen this setup where you had to put your card in a slot by the door for lights and the AC, which is the simple solution to all this mess. However, its still stupid. You're on vacation! Do you want to walk back to a oven of a room and wait 30 minutes for it to cool down before you can go to bed?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had plenty of rooms like this in other countries. Any card will work. I used my library card

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My LV Harrah's room (MOUNTAIN STUDIO ROOM | 1 KING | NON-SMOKING) in April required a key card inserted into the sensor by the door to turn on the lights. I didn't stay in the room as I double booked, but all these issues are one reason I never stay at Harrahs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Harvey's Tahoe has it, too. There was an old key card in the slot (from a previous guest or from housekeeping). We kept it in the slot when we checked out.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate Enough is enough. Somebody needs to tell her…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I appreciate your having mentioned this, @Sgt_Shultz ... as it was a nuance I hadn't even thought to think of. I cannot imagine how much of a hassle it would be to have to arrange for an engineer to come in every single day or every other day :eek:

I requested clarification when I emailed about it and just heard back from them with the below. This is reassuring to know both that it can be done for the whole stay, and that it's based on empirical evidence as opposed to just theory :)

Looking forward to a nice and consistently cool stay at Harrah's in July! :woohoo:

Screenshot 2023-05-24 4.02.02 PM.png

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  12. Skyler

Skyler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I had to pay the electric bill to keep my house temp set at 65 degrees, I wouldn't be worried about hotel rooms in Vegas. I couldn't afford to go very often! I'm just curious, those of you who keep your room that cold, do you have it that cold at home?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. VegasKStateCat

VegasKStateCat High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol no. But that’s part of the joys of a hotel stay. Long showers and blasting the AC.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually run the AC at home in the 75-76 range. In hotels I try for about the same, and I'm REALLY happy if I can just set it and forget it. What REALLY annoys me are those under-window units that some hotels have that sound like a wrecking crew when they turn on!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We try, especially when we are sleeping. Right now we have many windows open and it is 58 degrees in the house. I will admit that is a little bit on the chilly side, but warmer temps are on the way and during the winter we set the heat for 60-63 degrees during the day and colder when we sleep.

16. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was dreading my stay at Harrahs because of the A/C motion sensors which made my last stay there 10 years ago miserable. I saw posts here about using a string of TP or using a paper straw to fool the sensor. Here’s my contraption which I’m happy to report kept the AC going all night. It’s set to 66 although it never gets that cold but still cool enough to sleep. At first, I thought it was too heavy but watching it closely, it constantly moves ever so slightly with the circulating air in the room.

IMG_1188.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  17. ebbinns

ebbinns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The A/C in my LV hotel room would be On, Off, On, Off, On, Off, On, On, ON, Oh baby, ON!!!!!!!!! and then offer me a cigarette.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.