1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mt. Charleston — 3 trails to choose

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LV_Bound, Mar 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did Cathedral Rock last year and eyeing 3 different trails for our Aug trip.
    1. Fletcher Canyon
    2. Mary Jane Falls
    3. Echo Overlook
    Has anyone done anyone of these?
    If so, which is more scenic and best view at the top.

• Like Like x 3
  2. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only one I can comment on is Mary Jane Falls. We did this one on Halloween last year. It’s a nice hike with about 1,000 ft. of elevation change. It was challenging for us.

We are early 60’s and I’m definitely not in the best shape I’ve been in. It was made more difficult to me because the trail had a fair amount of loose gravel. It is definitely a seasonal fall so by end of October it was a mere trickle.

The scenery was good especially when you got up to the fall area. The smell of the pines was heavenly.. I think the hike started at an elevation of 7800’ I think so I got a little short of breath. This was after spending a week hiking in Utah.

It definitely was fun and has me looking forward to other hikes around Mt. Charleston. I’m even considering renting a cabin and spending a night or two at Mt. Charleston sometime. I would be interested in hearing your experience with whichever hike you choose.

3. ebbinns

ebbinns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't hiked those particular trails, but the AllTrails app rates them as:

1. Fletcher Canyon - Moderate, 4.2mi, (no time given) with 1,210ft elevation and it's an out and back
    2. Mary Jane Falls - Moderate, 3.9mi, 2h 19m with 1,135ft elevation and it's an out and back
    3. Echo Overlook - Hard, 4.6mi, 2h 48m with about 1,417ft elevation gain and it's an out and back.
    Based on the reviews, it sounds like Mary Jane Falls is best for views.

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A live trip report from Aug last year included the Mt. Charleston Cathedral Rock trail and will definitely include which ever trail in the next one.

5. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems the trail we like changes each day.:D

6. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mary Jane Falls is on my list for my next trip to Mt. Charleston.

I did Cathedral Rock last trip and it was great. It'd be in my Top 2 along with Calico Tanks at Red Rock Canyon. Both of those trails have a real nice payoff view at the end.

7. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We’ve done MJ Falls, a few years ago. Semi challenging for moderately fit folks in their 60s. Disappointing at the top as the “falls” were a trickle …. Lol.

GG

8. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MJ falls looks like a nice trip (not my video)

The south loop trail has been on my sights too

9. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years back we drove the loop at Red Rock but never stopped for any trails.
    Hoping to get back there one day.

10. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going to Aug we sort of expect it to be dried up, but hoping there is more to the trail than just the falls.

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually watched that South Loop trail before and asked my wife about doing that.
    Its the potential 11 hour hike with significant elevation gains.
    What does one bring clothing wise? Even in Aug, the submit may be too cold for just t-shirts.
    What about food? How much and what to bring?
    Novice folks like us would possibly result in having to have helicopter extraction at some point.:p

12. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's worth it. You can manage it even in the absolute heat of the summer if you go early. Me and my wife hiked Calico Tanks for a second time in August when it was well into the 100s during the day. The time stamp on this photo at the trailhead below is 7:22am and the temps were very pleasant not to mention we were hiking in the shade of the mountains until the very end of the hike where you get the payoff view of the valley:

Untitled-1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did Calico Tanks two weeks ago, really great, unbelievable hike.

14. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

August is best time for hiking on North or South Loop to Mt. Charleston, as snow will be gone. It is 8.3 miles to top using south route and 8.5 on north. Timewise and difficulty, both are comparable. As the sixth most prominent peak in U.S., these are steep ascents compared to other mountains.
    I've spent considerable time on both, including camping near the top. Weather in August can get cold, but I've also been at peak in t-shirt. Compared to other mountains I hike, these trails are easy on your feet.
    The aforementioned Echo Overlook, Cathedral Rock and Mary Jane Falls are so-so. For short hikes, they'll do. However, if I'm taking time to drive all the way there, I want something more substantial and the south and north loops fit the bill. The view on top of Mt. Charleston is tremendous, reaching well into California.
    If 17 miles round trip appears to be too daunting, just hike as long as you can and head back down.

15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update.
    IIRC, Cathedral Rock took us just over 2 hours round trip (including some time at the top) and wasn't bad at all.
    We got back to Vegas and continued our vacation as usual.
    My wife slow jogged down hill and will my long legs I was able to keep up :D which probably helped shorten the overall time.

If we did attempt the North/South loop in Aug, what would you suggest to take with regards to amount of water, food and clothing?
    Also, how long did it take you to complete each loop?

I mentioned this to my wife and she said just the thought of not making it and having to turn back around would frustrate us.
    As a result, once we start we would probably force ourselves to complete it.....and she is right. :)

16. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Regarding water, food and clothing - it all depends on weather. I'm wrong guy to ask anyway because I take minimal amounts drink and food and do fine. I don't cut corners on clothing, though. Last thing I want to near the top and begin to get chilly.
    And I'm also wrong person to ask on loop completion, as I often run instead of walk. But, according to reliable sources, the average round trip time for south loop is 10 hours. Personally, I like south a bit more than north.
    Your wife has right attitude and as long as you get started early, you should be fine. Unlike some mountain trails, it is easy to navigate. About halfway up or so, it levels off for awhile in what is called the Meadow. That's a pretty cool segment.
    Actually, all thsi discussion is getting me excited to be back on Charleston.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.