1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My password is too hard to remember!

Discussion in 'Admin. Announcements' started by Sonya, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the problems with the way I've set up the board to verify your email address as valid is that the board generates the most impossible to remember passwords. Lots of people ask me how to find their password again, and how to change it to something easier to remember.

When you are logged out, there is a link you can click right by the login window that will email your password to the email address you registered with.

Once you have that password, log into the board and click on "UserCP" on the left side of the green navbar at the top of the board. (below the ads).

From there click "Edit Email & Password" in the menu on the left.

Enter your current password in the top box, and enter your new password below that. Then enter your new password again to assure there aren't any typos and click "Save Changes". You're all set up with your new password!

Enjoy!

2. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The impossible to remember passwords are a very good idea for a board like this to send out to users! This way, it forces the user to change the password. You should never keep a system generated password for your personal account. Also, you should take care to make secure passwords for any internet site you use and have different passwords for different sites.

A good site to help you check the strength of your password (and what constitutes a strong password), check out this site:

http://www.securitystats.com/tools/password.php

3. OregonGuy

OregonGuy Tourist

Strong Password Trick

Here is a tip for creating a strong yet easy to remember password.

Choose a song that you like and take the title of it or a memorable line. For example we'll use "I want to hold your hand".

Take the first letter of each word: "iwthyh"

This alone is a fair password. However it isn't hard to make it much stronger.

First, add a capital letter or two. You could simply capitalize the first letter if you want: "Iwthyh"

Now take your favorite punctuation mark and put it on the end: "Iwthyh!"

Finally for bonus points, add your favorite number to the beginning and the end: "17Iwthyh!17"

That is one great password in terms of security and it is easier to remember than any other strong password.

No, I haven't used this password :)

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to send encrypted data to a company in Canada every day for a couple years--we used a password Oscys#Ocmhanl

Oh say can you see #Oh Canada my home and native land

Cute, eh? OK, I thought it was cute and PGP software gave me about a 70% on it (would have been better with a number and/or more special characters...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.