1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SW Rapid Rewards credit card

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by NandJfrmNJ, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We've had the SW rapid rewards credit card for a long time and I just received an offer to upgrade to premium to get 50K reward credits. I know it costs more ($99) but I'm wondering if it's worth getting. Anyone have it? I know the benefits but it means that I would have to cancel my current card and get a new one to qualify. Thanks for your input.

2. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well worth it. Charge away like you normally would on the new card to be sure you can get the 50K bonus. Then you should be good for 3 or 4 free trips out if Phl or EWR. Once that is complete cxl the card.

3. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

We got one at the beginning of December, finally hit the $2,000 requirement. Billing cycle ends on 2/1 so we are hoping they are quick to post the 50,000 miles to my account. We are going to vegas on 3/6 and have yet to book our flights because we are waiting for the miles. Fingers crossed we get them next week. Totally worth it!

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $99 for 50,000 miles? Great deal. You do not have to cancel your other card. If it does not have a fee. Keep it.

As to posting and getting miles, make DOUBLE SURE your purchases post before the bill cycle closes. Way too many people think they spent enough in time, but a merchant was slow to post the charge. Or yo have a return.

Here is an easy way to get that spend if you need it quick. Get gift card from your grocery store, gas station, etc. Places where you know you will use that money/card anyways.

5. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    your points post to SW a couple days after your closing date on Chase. You can have both cards at same time. Only difference between $69 and $99 card is the international benefit, and you get 6,000 bonus points instead of 3,000. This early in the year is the best time to get both.Or business. Get to 110,000 points and you get companion pass, good through next year(2017). We have gone twice last year and have enough for 3 more trips this year. If you have had the one card for 2 years, cancel and reapply later for the extra 50,000. Must be 2 years since you got last bonus on that card. Don't get one in wifes name. you can't combine spouse card points for companion points. If you have a business (selling on eBay is a business) that card is also 50,000 points (cost $99). They had a 60,000 bonus last year that I got.

6. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Thanks all. I guess I'll get it. Good to know about the spouse card and not being able to combine cards. My husband has his own card and gets points for car rentals and hotel stays so we're getting plenty of free flights but more free flights is better. No problem with getting the 2K since I charge everything that I can. Not likely to get the companion card even though I would love to have it. Although we travel a lot, many of our flights are booked with points so won't be getting reward credits for those.

7. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got offer even though I am premium already! :grrr:

I upgrade cause I use my card for everything and pay it off so for me it was a no brainer 69 for 3k pts vs 99 for 6k points at the anniversary... really wish I could get these 50k pts!

8. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can cancel cards and reapply after 2 years from last bonus. Our companion runs out this year. Will do 2 cards in wife name 1st of next year to get the companion for the next 1 1/2 + years. Drop mine. In another year repeat process doing it in my name. Provided the reward stays same, which is no guarantee. With the 2 cards getting 100,000 points, you would need to spend a total of $10,000 (minus extra bonuses earned with any 2x points) to get companion. We will save close to $4000 on airfare savings with the companion. I just pay all bills with card, including electric, water, taxes, car insurance, etc., then pay off with my Chase checking account for no interest.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, now I'm confused on my options. My wife and I have each had all three levels of cards and each collected 50,000 on each card, so 300,000 total. I still carry a SWA Visa Signature and charge most things on that.

I tried applying for a business card, but was rejected. I don't own a business, so I just made up stuff,.

So, what are my options besides cancelling my current card and waiting 2 years. Someone mentioned the two year waiting period is from the time you claimed the 50,000, not from when the card was cancelled. Is that true?

Going by that timeline, couldn't we just start over with the $45 card and go through the 3 card levels again? It's been 4 years since we had the entry level card.

10. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP: was this offer emailed to you, or did you find it online somewhere? I've also had the SW credit card for years; I've received emails trying to get me to upgrade to the premier card, but I don't think they have ever included 50k points. That's a great deal!

11. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

It was mailed to me. There was a specific code for me to use. My husband didn't get one though so I guess they're selective.

12. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Eagle John, if your wife has two cards in her name, she would get 50K on each one but they would be different accounts so how can you combine them to get 100K. Just looking for clarification.

13. Snickers99

Snickers99 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got the 50k offer mailed to me. I didn't have a SW card. I didn't need a new credit card, especially one with a fee. But I had been going to Vegas once a year for a couple years and hope to continue that so I did the math. Easy decision. Especially because I go solo. When doing my Vegas budget, I count the $99 annual fee as the cost of my flight.

I charge EVERYTHING I can to the card...utility bills, car insurance, etc (as long as they don't charge a 'convenience' fee for doing so...thanks borough and water bill people). Sometimes I'll pay my GF's car insurance and she writes me a check. I've gotten 2 or 3 'free' flights to Vegas and I have enough points for at least 2 more...and probably by the time I use those 2, I'll have enough for another thanks in part to the 6k anniversary points. If my points run out, I might drop the card then because there would be no reason for me to pay an annual fee.

About the only thing that ticked me off was when I signed up, 60 points equaled $1. But shortly after I got the card, it went to 70 points = $1. Lopped off over $100 worth of value from my 50k bonus. I wondered if they knew they were going to lower the value so they sent out a bunch of applications.

Again, I'm solo though.

14. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even different Chase account. When RR points are transferred to SW they go on one RR account. so 50,000 on one card and 50,000 on another becomes 100,000 in SW RR points on SW site.

15. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Ah, that makes sense now. Didn't know you would be able to do that. Good tip for working the system.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.