1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Alternatives to Bond VP?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Commodore69, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummed to hear about the drink voucher BS being tested at Bond @ Cosmopolitan.

It's been in my nightly rotation for quite a few trips now to hunker down and play $.50-$2 VP at the bar for a few hours listening to the DJ and soaking in the general craziness of that environment. Never fails to entertain. Plus I've had pretty great results there & found the bartenders to be really friendly and generous. Of course, I always tip well & am friendly myself. Particular shout out to Nicholai for going above & beyond, recognizing me from only a couple of trips a year. Bond has really been a highlight of recent trips.

Anyhow, my question is this: I've gotten kind of in a Cosmo/Aria routine & am wondering where else might have some fun bar top VP in a "clubby" music environment. I'm mid-40's & don't "do the clubs" (though I'll go just to check 'em out once in a while) but I really like the combo of the music/vibe/VP that Bond has. Seeing the writing in the wall of the drink voucher thing - where else might provide a similar experience?

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps Heart Bar at Planet Hollywood? It's been a while since I've played at the bar so I can't comment on service or comps.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't give up on Bond bar so quickly. If you're playing 50 cents to $2 VP and know the bartender there, you might be able to get your drink on and have the scene you want. Unless you're just boycotting Bond in general due to the new policy.

4. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, thought of that - not quite the same, but worth a second look. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear you on that. I was still planning on going, but it made me thought about being in a rut and not seeing some other cool options that may be out there. It's probably too fun for me to totally ban, & paying for drinks isn't going to break the bank, but it does irk me - will check it out this next week & report back on my experience. Thanks [emoji482]

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heart Bar would probably be one of the closer atmospheres. It was definitely pop music...maybe a little clubby. Decent amount of Britney playing too probably. But paytables are godawful. Alibi at Aria maybe? I never really played there though. But those begin at $1, iirc, games are one "notch" below "full pay". And Aria has been pressured to space out drinks every half hour (although it doesn't seem to be followed consistently) and not comp better booze (recent development).

7. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Tring. I have followed and appreciated your impressive VP knowledge for some time. Wouldn't think Alibi would be too music oriented, but I've only been by once since it opened. There was about 1,000 banker types in there for a convention, so didn't really get to check it out. Was on my list this trip, as I'm an Aria fan boy. I have heard for some time now that they are metering out drinks more often at Aria, but have yet to encounter it. Maybe just profiling certain people - who knows.

I remember the Heart Bar having terrible pay tables. Was there a couple of times for work functions. Found one of those embedded STP games on a multi-game machine and remember it being terrible. Still might go check it out again as it was moderately fun, but I'm not that into PH as a whole.

Thanks again :beer:

8. Taking

Taking Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alibi will have a DJ on some nights (weekends for sure) and they are often the same DJ's that are playing at the Bond bar. The last time I played there I had 1 bartender that wouldn't comp Woodford while playing Max bet $1 DDBP, but would let me pay the difference (less than 5 dollars). Even with that they still wouldn't break the "drink every 30 minutes" rule.

Like it being said above, if you are playing $1 max bet, I would think the drinks would come fast enough at the Bond bar. You and I sound alike in that I feel like I get to go to a "club" by playing at the bar while still getting to gamble. I will play 6/5 at the Bond too, I feel that % I'm losing on blackjacks at the table is the tax i'm paying by listening to good DJ's and drinking good drinks. I'd never play 6/5 on the floor though.

9. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Taking. Just arrived today so may be checking out Bond later tonight. Good tip on Alibi, though I was just at Aria and there's another huge suit convention crew descending upon the property [emoji45]. Appreciate the feedback [emoji106]

10. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know the bartenders extremely well and while you get your first drink comped for playing - the level of your play wont get you a free drink from the bartender based on the denomination of play or based on who you know alone. It is all based on the machine spitting out your drink. It came out to 30 points or $180 in coin in. So yes - higher level of play will get you a drink faster...but you still have to coin in the $180 or so (which could make or break you based on what you are looking to lose)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.