1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

More thoots pictures - lots of BIG pictures!

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by thoots, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KathyinNY

KathyinNY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thoots,
    Thanks for your response.

I have NEVER had any problems using disposable cameras for any of my trips, that is why I use them instead of carring a big ass camera around that is bulky, etc. like my sister did. I also do not want to buy a new camera even if digital is the way to go. I just wanted a few pictures to say we were here. I've done this all my life and never had a problem. I always like to use Kodak.

What my pictures looked like was the flash wasn't right. The day pictures are great but my night pictures are just dark. You can see some images but it looks like a film is over the night pictures. I assume it was my flash but I had it on. I only went by the recommendation of the camera folks at the store so I guess I get what I ask for.

A lot of the pictures you took are similar to those that I took so I can just gawk at yours and say hey I was there, lol. Thanks again.

2. GNH2000

GNH2000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for some great shots!

Those are awesome!

3. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Ahh, I think this is probably the key right here -- the flash. There is one thing you might comprehend about my pictures -- not once did I ever use a flash!

The main thing about a flash is that it's very short-range -- it's only going to help in situations like taking a picture of someone just a few feet away. I saw lots of people taking "night shots of the Strip" and such with their flashes on -- like from atop the Eiffel Tower -- and trust me, the flash isn't going to light up a few miles of the Strip! And, again, my impression is that a disposable camera is going to have just one setting for the aperture and shutter settings, but I really don't know for sure, but I can say this much: Generally, an "automatic" camera will have a substantially different exposure and shutter setting for a flash shot than it would for a non-flash shot -- just by turning the flash on, it moves to a different setting. So, truly, turning the flash on for a night or indoor "landscape" shot is probably going to ruin that shot -- it's going to set the camera up for a close-up, well-lighted flash shot, instead of the kind of "night shot" you want to take. And, again, I don't even know if you can turn the flash on or off with a disposable!

So, all of that said, I would think that an ISO 800 camera could take pretty darn good indoor and night pictures =without= turning the flash on -- heck, with flash, you don't =need= ISO 800 film. The flash would supply more than enough light for any ISO film, so long as your subject is close enough to be lighted with the flash. So, the ISO 800 camera ought to be able to take decent shots =without= the flash -- and if you can indeed "turn the flash off," I'd sure recommend trying that next time!

So, again, without any real experience with one of these disposables, that's sure how I see the situation from here. I hope this helps, and good luck trying it "without the flash" next time!

4. Good lord, Thoots! I love your camera in a way I don't think is healthy! I've had my Kodak DC4800 for at least four years now and I've taken thousands of pictures with it. I've always been happy with the results but these pics make me want to chuck it in the trash! What kind of camera do you have again? I know you answered this once before.

5. snickerboob

snickerboob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great pictures! Gosh I feel like I'm in vegas just looking at them! I think I should move to Las Vegas and be Mikey's housekeeper (or whatever) so I can live there!

6. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Canon Pro1:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9823

I've been extremely happy with mine! It's been out for well over a year now, so prices have dropped considerably from its original $1,000 price. Very few stores carry it anymore -- Fry's Electronics is about the only one I've seen lately, if you're lucky enough to have a Fry's nearby. Dell is always a good way to go, as they often have it for astonishingly good prices....

Hope this helps!

7. Beach Crazy

Beach Crazy Hostess With the Mostess

WOW!!! Those are some of the best photos of Vegas I have ever seen. :thumbsup:

I might have to use some to make a calendar, that is if you don't mind....

8. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

So long as you're not "selling something for a profit," please go right ahead!

9. KathyinNY

KathyinNY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks again for your reply Thoots. I realize that "disposable" cameras are not the greatest in the world. I am waiting for my sister to develop her film. She has a camera that looks like a professional uses but I'm not sure what kind it is. The lens does all kinds of stuff, etc.

10. scubapro5

scubapro5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Toots those are some great pictures!! :nworthy: :nworthy:

I have been to Vegas 100 times but never took that many pictures of the city the way you did but will definantly take alot of pictures next time.

I have the Canon S1 IS camera and hope it does half as good as yours?

Thanks for sharing!!

11. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Well, like every other camera, there is a "range" where it will do just fine. And, with "flash," you're really talking about taking a picture of someone that's just a few feet away. If you can turn the flash off, though, or get a "non-flash" version of the camera, that'll sure help to get these "landscape" type shots, or some of the kind of interior shots I'll be posting soon.

In the end, it's always a good idea to give the camera you want to use a test round at home before you go on the trip, so you'll have a much better idea of what it will and won't do when you get there!

12. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Thanks, as always, for your kind words! I had an S1 IS before I got the Pro1 -- it'll do a fine job. For the night shots like I've posted, you're going to have to use a tripod, and put that thing into aperture priority or manual mode, and get it on f/8. By all means, start shooting "night shots" now, so you'll know what kind of exposure settings to use. Also, keep it at ISO 50 for the best picture quality the camera will get.

The IS should help in indoor scenes, big-time. Of course, as you'll see, I don't use the flash indoor, at all. Oh, and I just remembered -- there is a "wide angle" lens available for the S1 that does a wonderful job. A bit pricey, and you'll need the "lens adapter" to be able to use it, but wide-angle shots make a huge difference for the better -- I used mine all the time!

Hope this helps, and good luck!

13. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Ninth picture post

Folks,

OK, back on task after a weekend off -- let's go to the Forum Shops!

Here's a shot I posted in the original bunch -- the top of the two-story circular escalator:

[​IMG]

Here it is from another angle:

[​IMG]

The big "washed out" area in the fountain pool below is the strong light from the skylight above -- there was just no way I could do anything other than let that "wash out."

Here's the escalator from "water level:"

[​IMG]

But, enough of this fancy, new frou-frou -- let's get into the real heart of the Forum Shops:

[​IMG]

Statues, animatrons, actual people -- who knows?

[​IMG]

Closer up:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure this one isn't a real guy....

These, I'm not so sure about:

[​IMG]

I think those are real fish in the tank, though:

[​IMG]

Technical note: These are non-flash, rather long-exposure shots, with the camera stabilized on a bean-bag device called "The Pod," or a big giant alligator-clip thing called the Hakuba Camera Clamp. I had that latched onto the railing high atop the new Forum Shops expansion, hoping that it would hold strong and keep the camera from taking a swim in the pond below!

So, those helped me get "stable" shots, but there's one thing I couldn't freeze -- the people! So, you'll see some folks blur right through the shots -- nothing I can do about that, so "so be it!"

14. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Tenth picture post

OK, enough of that -- let's go shopping!

Here's one from the original batch:

[​IMG]

Spago, Fendi, and some blurry people:

[​IMG]

OK, OK, so I really just wanted to get that La Perla girl....

The sky's getting lighter, and you can see our statue folks way in the background:

[​IMG]

Finally, there's an "Exotic Car" dealership in there now -- here's roughly a million dollars' worth of cars:

[​IMG]

They had quite a few "sales" folks in there, as if they sold two or three of these things per day. I really thought their main job consisted of leaping in front of the cars when they saw someone pointing a camera at them....

[​IMG]

I think I could live with one of these:

[​IMG]

So much for the Forum Shops -- I'll get to work on the Venetian shots, which I should have up in a day or two!

15. TheUsed

TheUsed Tourist

Ahh, drool, Murcielago Roadster. Nice shots. That Red F430 isn't bad either. If I ever hit it big in Vegas, you would probably see me there or at Wynns Ferrari dealership,lol

16. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh Man oh Man!! I was just there yesterday morning and after looking at these pictures I am foaming at the mouth to go back!!! Bill's right - isn't it September yet???

17. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Eleventh picture post

OK, let go into the Venetian! Here's the main registration area:

[​IMG]

Here are a couple shots of the main "foyer" or whatever you call it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can almost tell from the pictures, I've got my camera on that "bean bag" device, which is sitting on one of the "ledges" around the bottom of the support columns.

Here's the big escalator area and the entrance to the Grand Canal shops:

[​IMG]

Here's a very difficult-to-get shot of the ceiling above that:

[​IMG]

And, here we are looking in the other direction, to the main entrance:

[​IMG]

Here's the main registration area again, this time with a few people standing around:

[​IMG]

18. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Twelfth picture post

OK, once again, "Let's go shopping!" Here are a few looks at the Grand Canal shops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rank this "third rate" compared to the Forum Shops and the Desert Passage shops, at least in terms of "atmosphere." One thing that's notable is that you don't tend to see a lot of shop signs glaring out at you -- you might rank that good or bad, I suppose!

Here, of course, is what makes it all unique compared to the others -- the canal running through it!

[​IMG]

Finally, here's a shot of St. Marks Square:

[​IMG]

Enough for now -- next up, we'll head out into the sun again!

19. Pacismakaveli

Pacismakaveli Tourist

Wow, thanks for posting...
    I was thinking of which camera to use on my trip (i leave aug 29). Do you think that the Canon S2 IS will be good? and how much better will the PRO 1 be?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.